1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When scouting receivers, draft with caution

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by ATVZ400, Apr 14, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Watch a wide receiver catch a football and it looks like a pretty routine chore, doesn't it? Yeah, there's nothing to it until you start checking out those NFL defenses, too.

Outside of perhaps quarterback, wide receiver may be the most difficult position for scouts and coaches to project college players in the draft and how they'll fare in the league.

Over the last 10 years, NFL teams have drafted 43 wide receivers in the first round. Of those, just two had 1,000-yard seasons as rookies -- the same number of 1,000-yard seasons produced by receivers drafted after the first round.

Twenty six of the 43 first-round receivers never have had a 1,000-yard season and, of the other 17, eight have had but a single season in which they gained 1,000 yards.

Man-to-man coverages, bump-and-run, multiple defenses, and speed -- much more of it than receivers are used to seeing in college -- make pro football a very different game.

"People don't want to say it's different -- but it is a different game because of the amount of man-to-man (coverage)," said an assistant coach from an NFC team.

Good read

rest of story
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story;jses...0d5d807bae68&template=with-video&confirm=true

2. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I have always thought that WR was the hardest position to scout. I am usually fairly accurate in my QB predictions but with WRs I think I'm about 50/50.