1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When Sparano is the leader, we lose..

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by normaldude, Dec 8, 2011.

1. normaldude

normaldude Active Member

Oct 13, 2009
    2008: Chad Pennington was our QB. He's a charismatic leader, and often referred to as "Coach Pennington". He was the de facto leader of the team. Miami goes 11-5, and wins the AFC East.

2009, 2010, early-2011: Enter the robot Chad Henne, who is not a charismatic leader. The leadership role shifts to Tony Sparano. With Tony Sparano as the team leader, the team struggles.

Late-2011: See 1:45 in the video below. After going 0-7, Sparano basically handed the team over to the team veterans & captains. Result: we've gone 4-1 ever since.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/miami-dolphins/09000d5d824c53d8/Going-swimmingly-in-Miami

It almost seems like the team does best when Tony Sparano gets out of the way, and lets the players take the leadership role.

2. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    Its true you're absolutley right. He has been responsible for every loss and none of the wins.

3. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Lol

4. huck1974

huck1974 FU Gene Steratore

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri
    baaa freaking humbug

5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    cocaine is a helluva drug

2socks likes this.
  6. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Headin' down Scott, turnin' up Main
    Looking for that girl that sells cocaine
    Cocaine, runnin' all 'round my brain

GreysonWinfield likes this.
  7. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    OK Sure.

8. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    hmmmmm

9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Cleo lemon is under center, he fakes the ball to Gado, throws the deep ball to a streaking marty booker, its dropped..LJ Shelton and Regan Mauia trot back to the huddle..They look over at Cam Worrell and Mike lehan in frustration.

HugeFinFan and BlameItOnTheHenne like this.
  10. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    If Sparano wasn't so damn good looking they would never have hired him in the first place!

11. Rickster

Rickster New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yeah. That's the only reason I root for the dolphins.

12. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    I just had this nightmare. Get outta my head!

13. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    You mean like every team Ray Lewis has ever played on?

Pennington is a born leader of men and a great player. And really, who else did we have on the roster like that? Great teams have those types of guys.

I think it's just a better style of management for them and guys stepping up. This league is about the players. You listen to the players, Tony is still their leader. Karlos Dansby said he inspires them and gave him the lions share of the credit for the turnaround. If Tony wasn't a leader, this team would have quit on him -- a lame duck going in following the Harbaugh fiasco -- during 0-7. Yet he never lost the locker room.

It's not just giving veteran leadership ownership of the locker room. Tony changed EVERYTHING, from practice schedules to practice intensity, etc. Players complained privately for two years he wore them down during the week. Now they're a fresher team going into games. He lightened the environment to make for a more fun atmosphere for players. Players are in a better state of mind as a result of less micro-management, which Ricky Williams was publicly critical of after last season.

In one season, Tony Sparano has completely reinvented himself. From offensive philosophy to player management to weekly preparation, he has largely shed his Parcells-taught ways. That is no small feat.

It's a lot like what Tom Coughlin -- another Parcells disciple -- did to save his job in 2007. He mellowed out.

Not coincidentally, we're getting the best QB since Pennington during this turnaround. That's kinda important too. ;)

PhinsRock likes this.
  14. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Ok Ill give him credit for the 4 wins, WOW watch out Bill and REX we got Juggernaut here lock him up for 5 more years!

Seriously though Sparano is a great guy and the players love him but that's not enough to save him. The MUST make changes or the media and fanbase will eat ROSS alive and stop supporting ehat little support they have now.

15. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I'm still a believer in the players. The players of late have been doing their jobs. No one player has significantly changed since the first 7 games, but every player has changed, period. Moore as the QB is the focal point, and he's improved. So has the OL...I watched the Oakland game again on Rewind and was amazed at how well the OL played, compared to the Jests game. They actually looked like they belonged in the NFL, even Colombo.
    VD is suddenly playing like we thought he would back in August. Bell suddenly can be at the right place at the right time, were he was looking a lot like Father Time had caught up with him much of this season. The DL, our supposed strength of the defense was suddenly getting pressure where they hadn't in the start of the season. During that 7 game losing streak, I never once saw Tony drop a pass or miss a block or an assignment or not hit the open hole in the line or fumble the ball or throw an int or be out of position and overrun a play or any of that stuff... What's happened here is that the players are playing at a level like Sparano thought and said they would be in August.

So, tell me....are the players doing what we all expected of them now or has Sparano suddenly become JJ Part Deux and thrown pixie dust on the team to get them to do their jobs ?? Remember this game is about the players, not the coaches.

16. WharfRat

WharfRat Malignant Lunatic

:chuckle: pixie dust

17. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    Thats it deflect from the origianl post which is that Sparano had not 1 thing to do with ANY wins in his tenure here. Instead you turn it into a 1 year window (how convenient) with the ASSUMPTION (I would spell it out but I think others have done it for you in the past) that I said we should keep him. Please Yoda show me where I wrote that or the OP only mentions a 1 year time frame of wins. I'm just not as dense as some to think that every loss or win is on a coach (except Cam Cameron). I do know that the ultimate responsibilty falls on the coach.

18. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    here is wgat i want to know , if Sparan stays does thin mean we will pass on a good qb and take a nother damn olineman in rd 1 again ? if we draft a offensive line an in rd 1 i will go ballistic . I want Trent Richardson , or Justin Blackmon because our wrs dont havethe talent to get us to the playoffs . plus none of our wrs really scares oposing deffenses. O f course I could handle taking a qb too.

19. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    Meet you at the silk road

20. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Ever heard of spell check?? Just asking.

21. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Found this article today on the Dolphins site: http://www.tvfanatic.com/2011/12/sons-of-anarchy-season-5-teases-the-return-of-opie-wendy/

Just reading it made me cringe, and reinforced why I don't want Tony Sparano back next year, regardless if he reels off a streak and gets Miami to 8-8. He's reactionary, not innovative. The gist of the article talks about how sitting at 0-6, Sparano finally took it upon himself to make serious changes and asked the former players on the coaching staff (Bryan Cox, Dan Campbell, Ike Hilliard) and the team leaders (Bell, Dansby, Long, Taylor, Burnett) about what he could do to change the mood/stance of the players on the team.

Really? He didn't try and switch this up 3 weeks prior during his bye week?

I just think this reinforces that he's reactionary. He only made changes when it was desperation time (remember him pleading to the officials in the Denver game to reverse the call, or he'd "get fired"?); not ahead of time. This after he boasted about "having a plan for every scenario" as it pertained to coming back from the lockout. Thusly, my view of Sparano is this. He's a checkers player. Someone like Bill Belichick is a chess player. You can play Sparano in checkers, and 7, 8, maybe even 9 times out of 10 times, he'll beat you. But get him to the chess board and he's doomed. I think I read last Sunday that beating the Raiders was the very first time since he came in in 2008 that he'd beaten a team with a winning record (at the time Miami played the team) that didn't reside in the AFC East...that's bad. I think ultimately you've got to take into consideration his entire body of work.

- 2008 AFC East Champions
    - 2009 & 2010 7-6 starts and in playoff contention late in the season
    - 2009 & 2010 0-3 collapses to close out the season to miss the playoffs.
    - The 1-12 home record streak, or whatever that was.
    - Starting out 0-7 this year, and sitting at 0-6 before he decided to change what he was doing.
    - Burning through a defensive coordinator, special teams coordinator, and offensive coordinator in 3 seasons. That shouldn't happen if you build a competent staff.

I mean, there's more bad than good in there, even though he's got the potential to have an overall winning record at season's end. I'm just not comfortable with him heading up this team. It really worries me if he were to still be the coach with a rookie quarterback (not named Luck) starting under center next season. I just don't trust Sparano working with a young guy like that, nor do I trust him to somehow magically keep on this hot streak and guide the Dolphins back to the playoffs again. I just don't.

22. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Gettin your smoke from Ricky's stash?

I give Tony a lot of credit for the runaround, but I give the players more credit than Tony.