1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When Will McDaniel

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by EzRider, Oct 19, 2022.

1. EzRider

EzRider New Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Start running the ball more consistently. We’re heading into fall and winter is not too far away. We’re gonna need to play grinding ball sooner or later. It’s my one critique with this HC. He had a strong rep as a run designer, it needs to start now.
    I realize the line is suspect but we must create a tempo

2. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    We don't need to run the ball well or more consistently. Just run the ball occasionally so the defense doesn't always think pass. That's enough. In today's NFL you generally win with high passing efficiency, not by running the ball well (only a few teams win thinking run first).

Just look at some stats in our case:
    - Team passer ratings of 104.4, 124.1 and 111.7 in our 3 wins compared to 72.2, 56.7 and 88.8 in our 3 losses
    - Team rushing yards of 65, 86 and 41 in our 3 wins compared to 85, 137 and 73 in our 3 losses
    - Team rushing Y/C of 2.8, 4.8 and 2.4 in our 3 wins compared to 3.9, 5.3 and 3.2 in our 3 losses

We lost because Tua got injured, not because we weren't running the ball well or consistently. I'm happy we finally have a HC that understands you need to pass to win. That's not changing in the fall, winter or playoffs.

Also, personnel-wise, if this year shows we're set at WR and QB (hopefully!), then what you prioritize next is pass protection to give your QB more time, not the running game.

mooseguts and dolphin25 like this.
  3. EzRider

EzRider New Member

Oct 16, 2022
    could not disagree more. And I’m not saying it’s a matter of protecting Tua, although it helps by cutting down the chances of being hit. You saw Tua last year throwing a cold wet football in Janauary last year in TN, you just don’t all of a sudden improve on that, but game planning will and part of that is on the ground. Wait till we get to Buffalo in December. Yes, we have have the best WR duo in the league, but Mostert’s running ability doesn’t take a back seat to anyone. There are times we run the ball well and then it’s immediately abandoned

4. Wilkimania

Wilkimania Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    It's one thing to be able to scheme up something to stop them running at you for a couple of seconds, it's another thing entirely to scheme up space and time for your running backs to get yards. I don't trust our line to hold up for long enough to really be able to lean on a run game even if you start scheming.

resnor, mooseguts and dolphin25 like this.
  5. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I absolutely want the team to run the ball a lot more, and a lot better. I don't think that our offense will ever be able to consistently take control of the game otherwise.

However, we've had severe OL issues so far this season, with our starting group on the field for only one game. And we've also faced, to this point, the number one hardest strength of schedule in the entire league.

Now that Armstead and Jackson are back (not to mention Tua), and our schedule is going lighten up a lot, hopefully we can start imposing our will on offense a lot more, and not need to furiously come back from being down all game long.

dolphin25 and resnor like this.
  6. mooseguts

mooseguts Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2018
    We have the best WR duo in the NFL maybe NFL history. You play to your strengths and that's passing especially in a passing league. When it comes to the winter months you throw it short to supplement our weak run game.

7. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Hyperbole much? lol

8. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    100%

When you have Waddle and Hill the offense should run through them.

Having a terrible running game and a dysfunctional offensive system had more to do with Tua having a bad game in Tennesee than the cold and water.

mooseguts likes this.
  9. Pennington's Limp Arm

Pennington's Limp Arm Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    I think Wilson Jr will give him more confidence to run the ball on 3rd/4th and short.

But overall you have to adapt your coaching and play calling based on what you are seeing on the field. We would have lost the Baltimore and Detroit games if we stuck with the run…

10. OwesOwn614

OwesOwn614 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2020
    Yeah, Wilson was a good get for us. We're in good shape if Mostert continues his recent play and Wilson's 5+ YPC can come close to league average.

11. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Due to the horrible way that our defense played in the first half of both games, yes. Being forced to come from behind backs the offensive play calling into a corner.