1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where does Henne rank among current starting QBs?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by hugoguzman, Nov 4, 2010.

1. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    I threw this up at the other forum, and it's sparking some pretty good conversation, so I figured I'd share it here.

1) Rivers - There's no doubt that both Manning and Brady are better, but Rivers is just 28 and is the closest thing to Marino that I've ever seen.
    2) P. Manning - He can produce with more or less anybody lining up at WR/TE/RB
    3) Brady - slightly less durable than Manning but just as effective
    4) Roethlisberger - More mobile than Manning and Brady and capable of putting up the numbers when his running game isn't firing on all cylinders. He's still young, and with two rings, he still has time to put himself into the upper echelon of all-time quarterbacks
    5) Rodgers - at 26, he has a lot of time to continue maturing. He has the physical tools and has already proven that he can a) take his team to the postseason b) overcome the shadow created by his predecessor
    6) E. Manning - too many interceptions for my liking, but he's clearly capable of special things at the QB position. He seems to have hit his stride this season, and some might argue that he's better than the two guys I have listed ahead of him.
    7) Brees - After watching him his first 2-3 seasons, I thought he would be Jeff Garcia type QB at best, but he has proved me wrong. He's a very solid QB but also has the benefit of a tremendous offensive-minded head coach and a lot of weapons. He's also getting a bit long in the tooth.
    8) Schaub - Had a rough Monday Night outing but at 29, he still has time to get over the hump and into the playoffs. He's also put up some massive numbers the last few years.
    9) Orton - Who? Yeah, Orton. He's putting up big numbers with very few weapons at his disposal. He also knows how to take care of the football. Not bad for a guy who is just 27 years old.
    10) Palmer - He puts up solid numbers but has struggled to take his team deep into the playoffs. This season is in the tank, but at 30, he still has time to redeem his once promising career.
    11) Romo - The guy everybody loves to hate has a lot of mobility and puts up solid numbers. This year was a disaster, though, and he's running out of time to prove that he's anything more than a statistically good QB.
    12) Vick - He's getting old but his legs are "prison" fresh. I need to see more before I can elevate him into the top 10
    13) Flacco - Say what you will, but he's already got a few postseason wins and is putting up fairly solid numbers for a third-year QB. A lot of upside there.
    14) Ryan - Also led his team to the playoffs (in his first year) but regressed a bit last season. He has a chance to move up significantly if he can take the Falcons deep into the postseason this year, but that remains to be seen
    15) McNabb - Long in the tooth, but he's a proven commodity that sill has a few good years left in him.
    16) Freeman - Get this. 6 of Freeman's 8 wins are of the "fourth quarter comeback" variety. This guy is huge and seems to have all the tools. Keep an eye out for him. He's a rising star.
    17) Young - Has had an extremely up and down career (and got benched against the Steelers this year) but he played great down the stretch last year and is putting up solid numbers (and winning again) this year. One of the few young "hybrid" (run and throw) QBs in this league.
    18) Henne - I thought he would be higher, but I simply cannot put him ahead of any of the guys I've already listed. That said, he's shown flashes of being a Top 10 QB at times. He just needs to do so more consistently (and lead the Dolphins to the playoffs sooner than later).
    19) Sam Bradford - too young (and inaccurate) to be any higher, but like Freeman, he's a guy to keep an eye on. I just hope that he can stay healthy.
    20) Stafford - Injuries are a concern, but when healthy, he's a solid player. If he can stay healthy, he'll be a top 10 guy.
    21) Sanchez - way too inaccurate for me, and even his own fans admit that they wish they had a stronger arm on their team that could content with the swirling winds in the Meadowlands. He's still young and has plenty of time to prove me wrong and earn "top 10" accolades.
    22) Cutler - Tons of talent. If he can ever figure out the mental aspects of the game, he could easily be a top 5 QB. As it stands. He's not even in the top half of the league.
    23) Garrard - He is what he is. An efficient QB that will never be elite. Steady but not capable of carrying a team (unless he's playing the Cowboys, apparently).
    24) Cassel - Another guy that is what he is. Average talent. Average production. Probably will end up being a backup in a few years.
    25) Favre - Can put a nice game together from time to time, but I really feel like he should be No. 32 since he's already half-way retired. Last year was an aberration
    26) Hasselbeck - Way past his prime
    27) Fitzpatrick - Buffalo had Fitzmania for a minute there, but he came back down to earth this past week. I'd be surprised if he was a starter next year (but boy can he fling that deep ball)
    28) Moore - He's young so I won't be too harsh, but I'd be surprised if he ends up being a long-term starter in this league.
    29) Campbell - Just barely a starting caliber QB
    30) Smith - Not a starting caliber QB (pretty sad that he was a first overall pick)
    31) Wallace - Not a starting caliber QB
    32) Anderson - Not a starting caliber QB

P.S. I left off some borderline guys like Hall and Gradkowski. Anyone beyond Moore is a waste of time in my opinion.

P.P.S. I am factoring in age a bit, which does leave some room for ambiguity. My general idea is that I'd rather have a relatively young guy that's maybe a bit worse (right now) then an older guy.

unluckyluciano and MikeHoncho like this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Was going to say about 20th, the System is just not there to put up big numbers so you have a cannon armed Qb whose job it is to get the ball out of his hand in under 3 seconds and to hit a wide open Receiver or throw it away.

That is not a formula for 4,400 yds and 30 TD's.

3. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    I like your 13-20 guys.. ithink they will all be the better Qbs in the future.

hugoguzman likes this.
  4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Inaccurate and Bradford are not two words that belong in the same sentence IMO.

5. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I'd put him 15th or 16th.

6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Sometimes I think the best thing that could happen to Henne and the offense is to fall behind by two Td's so everything has to be re-approached and Henne trusted more to throw the football down the field.

To me, in the patriots game they cracked how Henning was calling plays to protect Henne and a game were that blueprint has to be tossed out of the window would really help imho.

7. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    That's what happened in the Jets game. We fell behind 14-0 and Henne then went on to torch the Jets defense the rest of the game.

hugoguzman and texanphinatic like this.
  8. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Manning is far and away the best QB in the game right now, he really can't be put below 1.

Carson Palmer just flat out sucks atm, he has not been anywhere near the QB he was a few years ago before he was injured - I'd put him nearer the bottom half of the league than the top. Orton as well is overrated imo, I think the McDaniels offense can make QBs put up numbers that aren't completely reflected by talent, similar to Chan Gailey's really. Trade Orton for Cassel and I don't think Orton is still #9.

Vick I would like to give a full season before I rank him in the top 15. He has potential, but I'm not completely sold that defenses won't be able to adjust to him again.

Schaub has some really good talent, but he can be very easily rattled imo, it bears watching. He was hearing footsteps when he threw that pick to Hayden against the Colts.

Would move the middle of your group up to compensate for moving Palmer, Orton and Vick down.

I really like the potential of Freeman (getting lost in Tampa), Bradford (looking sensational as a rookie) and possibly Young (quietly having a pretty solid year).

Hopefully Henne starts making a big leap the rest of this year, would really like to see him take off and just dominate.

texasPHINSfan and hugoguzman like this.
  9. PS17

PS17 NYJ 2010!!!

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    You don't like 21?

:confused:

10. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    :up:

11. Steven-O

Steven-O F*** the JETS!!

Jun 30, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    good piece you put together just cant agree with 9-11....

hugoguzman likes this.
  12. Phinatic425

Phinatic425 MIA State of Mind

Feb 19, 2010
    Upper Left Corner
    Henne is #1!!

All hail Robofin! :theman:

hugoguzman likes this.
  13. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    where's cleo lemon?

14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    When forced to, not by design, which is maddening, but that is how they are doing things. To me the patriots loss when Henne was throwing those little dink dunk passes down by 21 pts was pretty much the end of Henne airing the ball out down the field.

15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    He is playing for the Toronto Argonauts and is probably about the 4th best Qb in the CFL.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  16. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    While I agree with you, he is only completing 58.6% of his passes. So if 60% is the "threshold" for accurate, I can see why someone says he's not.

hugoguzman likes this.
  17. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    -T. Sparano

18. phins

phins Banned

Jul 7, 2010
    I think 16th

19. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    in the CFL, still being very mediocre

adamprez2003 and MikeHoncho like this.
  20. StLouisFinFan

StLouisFinFan New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    That's a misleading stat. He's got a collection of backups running routes for him in his rookie year while playing for a team and city that have put all their faith in him to be the savior....and he's performing beautifully. Like Allen, said, of all the reasons to rank Bradford lower than your mind's eye would tell you to, inaccuracy is not one of them.

21. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    That puts him in the 10-15 range in the NFL, if I have the exchange rate correct.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  22. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    His WRs have dropped a ton.

Besides that, if you watch him throughout his collegiate career, you can see that he's pretty damn accurate.

JimToss likes this.
  23. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    I think "the end" may have been more about the interceptions.

24. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    Getting Ninkovich'd certainly hastened the end.

25. madeinmiami2010

madeinmiami2010 New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Too many QBs better than the raw, young Chad Henne.
    1- Peyton Manning
    2- Drew Brees
    3- Tom Brady
    4- Philip Rivers
    5- Aaron Rodgers
    6- Ben Roethlisberger
    7- Donovan Mcnabb
    8- Eli manning
    9- Tony Romo
    10- Matt Schaub
    11- Matt Ryan
    12- Kyle Orton
    13- Joe Flacco
    14- Michael Vick
    15- Vince Young
    16- Carson Palmer
    17- Jay Cutler
    18- David Garrard
    19- Matt Cassel
    20- Sam Bradford
    21- Chad Henne :up:
    22- Mark Sanchez
    23- Josh Freeman
    24- Matthew Stafford
    25- Ryan Fitzpatrick
    26- Brett Favre

The rest blow

26. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I am aware. You don't have to sell anything to me, I said I agreed with you.

27. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I know. I watched Bradford a lot in college, and even some this year. I know he's accurate. If someone just looks at his completion % though (which is all many fans of other teams will do), he is not being "accurate" right now.

Just like Henne's interception #'s (and Kitna's for that matter) are misleading because it has a lot to do with the WR/TEs (and refs) as well.

texasPHINSfan likes this.
  28. frozenfin

frozenfin Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Since when do the Rams have Wide Receivers?

29. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Manning
    Brady
    Rivers
    Rodgers
    Roethlisberger
    Brees
    E.Manning
    Ryan
    Bradford
    Stafford
    Romo
    Flacco
    Henne
    Young
    Vick
    Schaub
    Feeman
    Sanchez
    Fitzpatrick
    Mcnabb
    Orton
    Palmer
    22) Cutler
    23) Garrard
    24) Cassel -
    25) Favre
    26) Hasselbeck
    28) Moore
    29) Campbell
    30) Smith
    31) Wallace
    32) Anderson -

30. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Hey, hey hey hey! He won a game that one time.

31. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Bradford > Henne.

Hard to argue with anyone who puts Henne in the range of 18-22. My concern as a fan is what will be Henne's peak. At this point, I don't see him ever being a top 10 QB...unless QBs in the league as a whole decline in overall talent. Rarely does a QB middle of the pack in talent ever get to a Super Bowl let alone win one.

texasPHINSfan likes this.
  32. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    1- Peyton Manning
    2- Aaron Rodgers
    3- Drew Brees
    4- Ben Roethlisberger
    5- Philip Rivers
    6- Matt Schaub
    7- Tom Brady
    8- Brett Favre
    9- Donovan Mcnabb
    10- Eli manning
    11- Matt Ryan
    12- Joe Flacco
    13- Kyle Orton
    14- Carson Palmer
    15- Jay Cutler
    16- Tony Romo
    17- David Garrard
    18- Chad Henne
    19- Vince Young
    20- Matt Cassel

33. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Favre at 8 and Mcnabb at 9? This isn't all time this is how they currently are. I'd rather have Henne then either of those two washed up players.

Also I feel Schaub has Daunte Culpepper syndrome.

34. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    Your entire post is 100% wrong.

Namath
    Griese- 2x's
    Plunkett- 2x's
    McMahon
    Simms
    Williams
    Hostetler
    Rypien
    Aikman-3 x's
    Dilfer
    Johnson
    Brady- 3x's
    E. Manning

Nearly half of all Super Bowl's were won by teams with average to slightly above average QB's. It's even greater if you include all the non-winning QB's.

35. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    All time I would have both Favre and McNabb higher. If it were for just one season I'd rather have Favre or McNabb over Henne. If they got the protection both Favre and McNabb would still be able to light it up.

Now, I do think Henne is going to be very good. I do think he is our franchise QB. He's still way too young to compare to those guys though.

Also, IMO, Shaub is the real deal.

36. cdnfinfan

cdnfinfan New Member

Oct 6, 2010
    I dont know why but I feel like slot if you guys are seriously undervaluing Henne and where he sits currently in the league

He should be somewhere around 14-15

And maybe even higher
    I think the problem is that you guys watch Henne more than all the other guys so you see the mistakes
    But if you watch other guys you will see them making the same mistakes and more

hugoguzman likes this.
  37. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Wasn't trying to sell you on anything, sorry if it came off that way. :)

Since Pat Shurmur became the OC. He does a helluva job IMO.

38. Merauder

Merauder Perseverance

Dec 16, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    How about this little fact added to the good old "Henne vs Sanchez" debate.......Henne never got shut out before. Isn't that correct? The Jets just got shut out vs Green Bay. I'm pretty sure that every game Henne has played in he has led the offense to points. Stat monkeys where you at

39. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I generally tend to stay away from ranking people or teams by numbers. Generally I feel with teams or QBs you should simply rank them in categories. There isnt much difference between a 15th or 16th player. So having said that these are my rankings by category

Hall of Fame QBs
    Peyton Manning
    Tom Brady

Difference Makers
    Phillip Rivers
    Drew Brees
    Aaron Rodgers

Good QBs
    Ben Roethslisberger
    Eli Manning
    Matt Schaub
    Tony Romo

Effective QBs

Donovan McNabb
    Kyle Orton
    Matt Ryan
    Joe Flacco
    Kevin Kolb
    Sam Bradford
    Chad Henne
    Carson Palmer
    Josh Freeman
    Jay Cutler
    Brett Favre
    Matt Hasselbeck
    Vince Young
    Jason Campbell
    Michael Vick
    Ryan Fitzpatrick
    Matt Stafford
    Matt Sanchez

Poor QB's
    Alex Smith
    Matt Cassell
    David Garrard
    Derek Anderson
    Matt Moore
    Bruce Gradkowski
    Seneca Wallace
    Trent Edwards

hugoguzman likes this.
  40. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    You don't think Brett Favre is a HoF QB?

You're list is OK, but just calling someone a HoF'er, IMO, isn't good enough. Namath is a HoF QB and he sucked. Griese is in the HoF only because of his team and coach. Brady will be in because of his team and coach too.