1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where was Jets D on Gore's big 3rd down catch?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by iamtiv, Sep 17, 2018.

1. iamtiv

iamtiv Active Member

Aug 22, 2013
    I finally just saw the preview of this.

When reading about it, I imagined Gore making this incredible RAC to get the first.

The I saw it and I couldn't believe how open he was. Yeah, he made a great catch and was able to keep momentum going, which was vital.

I think this is just proof of how dangerous our WRs and TEs are that they draw so much coverage and open up the middle so well.

Put Parker in this mix and our RBs should get fat all year long!

KeyFin likes this.
  2. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I thought Jamal Adams was responsible for covering the back. He was on a red dog blitz and went in after Gore stayed in to protect. Gore leaked out late after Adams was engaged with a lineman. It was a heady play by Gore and a great catch. Good job by the OL to pick up the late blitzer and a good job by Tannehill to find Gore (although he had bad footwork which caused that pass to dip on him).

edit: I meant to say "green" dog blitz. My bad. Carmen caught my mistake and corrected me.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  3. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Yeah, this was more scheme (and honestly luck) than anything because the Jets were coming hard and Gore released late as a safety valve. If he left a half-second later then Tannehill was sacked....he barely got the pass off as it was. What I especially loved about the play was the Gore knew exactly where he had to get to and dove to ensure he made it; super smart play by a great veteran player.

Surfs Up 99 likes this.
  4. Surfs Up 99

Surfs Up 99 Team Flores & Team Tua

May 5, 2016
    I just started watching Gase's presser. When asked about that play, he said they were going for it (ie, TD) and Gore wasn't even the intended receiver. As you all have said, good heads up play by all involved. I don't have the coaches film, but I wonder who the play was intended for, Stills, Grant, or Wilson, or someone else and if they were even open?

KeyFin likes this.
  5. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Going from memory, but I thought Stills was the primary on the play.

Surfs Up 99 likes this.
  6. Surfs Up 99

Surfs Up 99 Team Flores & Team Tua

May 5, 2016
    Not sure if that was the play he was talking about, but he said, in the presser, that he was happy they turned a **** call (by him) into a good play.

rafael and KeyFin like this.
  7. WestCoast Phins

WestCoast Phins WestCoast Phins

Dec 9, 2015
    This was just a great read by Gore. When the safety committed his rush, Gore slipped into the opening. Also great read by Tannehill

8. Carmen Cygni

Carmen Cygni Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Too kind. You didn't have to give me any credit that's why I DM'd you, but thanks anyways. :knucks:

Here's how I explain the difference b/w a Red and Green dog blitz. (dog = LB)

In a Green Dog blitz call, if the RB whom you are assigned to stays in to block, you have the green light to go/blitz. If the RB releases you must cover him.

In a Red Dog blitz call, the LB will blitz regardless. Think of it when a bull sees red and charges immediately.

KeyFin, rafael and brandon27 like this.