1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where we stand in the AFC

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by RickyNeverInhaled, Oct 18, 2012.

1. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I just heard that there are only 2 teams above .500 in the AFC. I found that shocking. The Texans and Ravens are both 5-1 and they play each other so one has to lose. We are in a big group of 3-3 teams, only 2 games behind the only 2 AFC leaders.
    I imagine both of those teams have a much tougher schedule and I believe we are 2 wins into what should be a nice run assuming we take care of business with the Jets.
    This is our year to shock the world against all odds of what just about everyone thought about this team in the off season. Tannehill keeps getting better. We have the bye week to get healthy and Philbin is making his best game plan against the Jets as we speak. This next game is huge, and could quite possible be our chance to seperate us from all the .500 teams on our way to be one of the best teams in the AFC this year! It's time to get behind our team, go to as many games as possible, cheer louder than you have ever cheered before, and just believe!

2. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    It's a long season and other than Bush the team has stayed healthy. That is really going to be a key.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  3. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    I've been saying since the preseason that I could envision this being another season like 2008. The key difference being that we now have a real QB, as compared to an accurate thrower, who was only a temporary solution. This is a younger team with more upside. Phins up!

4. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Yup, health has been a big factor for this team. Winning the turnover battle will continue to be key going forward. 3-0 when we win it. 0-3 when we lose it.

5. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
  6. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Rishard Marshall's injury has been a dissapointment and our 3 RB's going into the season was one of the strengths of this team, then we had Reggie with a knee injury who hasn't been the same since, DT with 2 concussions and Miller who has been like where's waldo? But we have still played like we are one of the only 2 5-1 teams in the AFC.

7. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    That site makes me wonder, considering Weeden's age, a new coaching staff and the fact that top 5 QB's are cheap, do the Browns take a quarterback with a top 3 pick?

8. Berezo

Berezo Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    That franchise likes to lose and lose some more so...probably not.

9. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    New England, Houston, Baltimore and Denver are probably a step ahead of everyone else. After that, its musical chairs IMO. If the Steelers can get healthy I like their chances. For us, we need to stay healthy and we're going to need Gaffney, Armstrong, Matthews, somebody, to step up and give us a credible threat in the passing game so that we can get back to running the ball and controlling the clock. If we keep playing these down to the wire 17-14 types of games the defense is going to wear down eventually.

gunn34 likes this.
  10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    They have a new owner that is excited about owning the team.

11. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I'm sure it'll be just a matter of time before their owner has an opinion on something and their fanbase starts complaining that he should shut his mouth and let the football people do their job.

12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Of course, that always happens.

I am always interested to see who is going for QB in the draft. It is less fun now that Miami has a QB.

If this is the top 14 in the draft

JAC, KC, CLE, NO, TEN, CAR, IND, OAK, DET, STL, TB, DAL, SD, NYJ

I only see KC and Oakland as for teams that will be looking for a QB. The wildcard teams are the Browns and Jets. May be able to make arguments for Cowboys and New Orleans.

13. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I think Jacksonville should be looking for a QB as well, but they'll probably sit another year. The Jets is a tough one to call, because if Ryan get's the axe then the new regime isn't going to want to have to continue with the same old and if he sticks around he's not likely to risk his job on Sanchez further.

14. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I'm not sure about Baltimore going forward though. They have had a brutal injury streak. But thus far, I agree that it's been those four and then a large group behind them. I just tend to feel that Miami is playing at a level that would place them at the top of that group.

15. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I agree but its nice to have the same record with the teams that are percieved to be a step ahead of us. You never know what will happen in the AFC this year!

16. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    The good thing is that we can't lose this week and some of the 3-3 teams will. lol. We will some what seperate ourselves from that group. lol

17. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Where we stand right now is the 5th seed in a playoff race, trailing the broncos whom don't scare me.

18. Berezo

Berezo Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    AFC just looks weak this year.

19. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I agree but there's still plenty of football left.

20. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Maybe the AFC is just tougher and its easier to dominate the NFC with a few good teams in the NFC. Who knows? I all know is I like our chances in the AFC this year!

21. Berezo

Berezo Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    I really hope that change happens then. The Browns need something to happen up there. They are a rich part of NFL history and it is sad that they have been so terrible for this long.

22. Berezo

Berezo Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Its the quaterback play that separates the two leagues. AFC got Peyton Manning back this year but we don't have enough to compete with Brees, Rodgers, Eli, Stafford, Matt Ryan, etc. They are deeper at quaterback as a league IMO

23. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Too bad we're 2-2 in the AFC. Had we beaten the Jets we could be in a good Wild Card position. Wait, it's too early for playoffs. Retracted.

24. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I agree. Baltimore won't be able to rely on their defense the way they have in the past, their offense will have to pick up the slack. As for us, I had us as an 8-8 team before the season and I still feel that way. We could win 9 or 10 if we get a few bounces, we could win 6-7 if things don't go our way. IMO if we had some good quality WRs/TE's we'd be at/near the top of the conference right now. I almost want to just FF to the offseason.

25. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    A tie. And injuries. LOTS of injuries.

Just kidding on the injuries thing....But I effeing hate both these teams!!! It's like having to choose between the Brewers or the Reds. Does not compute....

26. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Just making this list to put things in perpective. I imagine not many people have looked at the standings in order of the records instead of looking at the divisions.
    Hou 6-1
    Bal 5-2
    NE 5-3
    Mia 4-3
    Pit 4-3
    Ind 4-3
    Den 4-3
    Buf 3-4
    Cin 3-4
    San 3-4
    Oak 3-4
    NYJ 3-5
    Ten 3-5
    Cle 2-6
    Jac 1-6
    Kan 1-6
    Our next goal is to seperate ourselves from the group of 4 at 4-3. That will happen next Sunday when we play the Colts. Things are looking good. If Baltimore loses not only will we be in 1st place in the AFC East, we will also be part of the 2nd best group in the AFC!
    edit:
    Ok just checked the schedules. It would take a miracle for the Browns to beat the Ravens.
    Ravens win
    The Steelers and Giants should be a good game.
    Giants win.
    The Broncos and Bengals could be a good game. The Bengals just might play with a chip on their shoulder. Specially since the Steelers have a tough game and a Steelers loss and Bengals win will put the Bengals tied for 2nd in thier division.
    Bengals win.
    If all that happens, that will put us tied with the Pats for 1st place in the AFC East and tied with the Pats as the 3rd best in the AFC.
    What do you think about those apples? I can't wait to beat the Pats! This is why I was pulling for the Jets to beat them in that other thread.

B.Sebo and GARDENHEAD like this.
  27. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Nice analysis, Ricky!

28. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Thanks. I was bored and couldn't sleep. lol