1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where would you install an elite HoF-caliber player on Miami's roster?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DolphinGreg, Sep 23, 2015.

1. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    In an attempt to get away from the negativity of the last few days, I’m proposing a hypothetical question which I hope will spur some philosophical talk about the future.

Let’s say you wake up tomorrow and can add an elite player to the Dolphins at any position. Where would you put him? Let’s propose you’re drafting a guy who’s a guaranteed Hall of Fame caliber talent. Let’s say this guy will play for at least 10 years and be a Pro Bowler in most of them.

The only constraint here is that you cannot pick a QB. There are no QBs in this hypothetical draft. You’re absolutely 100% riding with Ryan Tannehill. Maybe that influences your decision? Maybe it doesn’t.

I’m just curious what people would do if they could play God for just 1 moment with 1 player.

The purpose in asking this question is to gauge people’s feelings about developing a winning franchise. I posted in Galant’s culture thread that I think teams have to get ahold of multiple elite players before they can really start worrying about developing a winning culture. Look around the league today (and back through history) and you’ll notice that nearly every successful team started with at least a few individually great players—guys who would’ve been success stories no matter which team signed them.

Maybe you’d go defense and add a Ray Lewis at MLB or an Ed Reed at FS. Maybe you’d go offense and add a Michael Irvin at WR or an Adrian Peterson at RB. Maybe some of you would even go with an offensive lineman.

2. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Mlb

3. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I concur holmie.

DolphinGreg likes this.
  4. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    So do I!

I'm kind of wondering if success may be derived from "stacking" elite talents. You look at a lot of teams that they either have a great LB behind a great D-lineman or a great DB behind a great LB. With Suh on board, it would make sense to try and find a 'complementary' piece at MLB.

You can say the same thing about QBs and WRs. When an elite QB throws to an elite WR, records get set.

Sceeto likes this.
  5. JDelenne

JDelenne Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I think it's pretty obvious that a HOF MLB would improve this team the most.

6. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I'd say that, or a shutdown corner opposite Grimes.

7. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Right now this teams biggest weaknesses in some order are MLB, OG, OLB, FS, CB and then depth at key injury "and you are screwed without one" positions (ie. OT, OG, FS/SS).

8. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    I agree with that last, but I don't really see how (other than a general lack of talent) the 43 OLB position is hurting the team as much as the others. I'd list that as an area of need but not above the other 4. Why so high?

9. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I didnt really put them in specific order, if I did I would put OG, and FS and maybe even CB before OLB.

To me, if we had stud MLB, then I would eventually lean towards getting a "pressure guy but trust worthy cover guy" ROLB to complement our L-side D-Line (Wake and Suh pass rush combo) and LOLB (Misi).

The right side is our weaker D-Line side for us talent wise, with Mitchell, Vernon, and while I like Jenkins (and a solid MLB could enhance him) a stud R-side LB would be on my "I am God wish-list".

That front 7 would be top notch ~ and aiding in any S and CB weakness till that was upgraded.

10. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Can we make it a HOF Coach instead? Just askin?

Mexphin, dolphin25, Puka-head and 2 others like this.
  11. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    HC.

Then QB.

Then MLB.

KeyFin and BigDogsHunt like this.
  12. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Owner
    HC
    DC
    MLB
    etc, etc, etc

13. muskrat21

muskrat21 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2014
    DL bc they suck.

14. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I would take a HOF pass rusher, whether that is a DE or OLB, I don't care.

15. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Head coach has to be #1, followed by MLB and maybe a DB.

You see the impact a HOF headcoach has on a team, and you cannot possibly choose anything else. He'd improve every single aspect of the team, not just 1 position.

number21 and Galant like this.
  16. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    ≈Kobayashi Maru≈

QB

dolphin25 likes this.
  17. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Defensive coordinator.

18. Kud_II

Kud_II Realist Division

Oct 15, 2011
    Seneca, SC
    I'd take Gronk away from the Patriots and give him to us as it should have been in the first place.

19. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    The biggest hole on this team by far is the coaching staff

number21, cuchulainn and Phins_Fan_87 like this.
  20. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    HC or QB.

21. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    The way the roster sits this very minute?
    MLB.

The way the organization sits at this very minute...
    Head Coach.

22. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    QB. Duh.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  23. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Long snapper.

24. Zach13

Zach13 Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Miami
    Put Lawrence Taylor in his prime on the defense

25. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Unfortunately I think Coyle could eff that up too.

26. Zach13

Zach13 Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Miami
    Sad but true.

27. Marino420TD

Marino420TD New Member

Sep 27, 2013
    Mlb, og, rb

28. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I'd take a quarterback first and a middle linebacker second. While it would be tempting to say an offensive lineman, it simply wouldn't be worth it compared to an outstanding RB or WR (which we don't necessarily need right now). So I'd play it safe and get us a real QB.

dolphin25 likes this.
  29. thetylernator

thetylernator You're as cold as ice, Officer Friendly.

Dec 31, 2014
    While I agree that MLB would improve our defense the quickest, I think some of you are dismissing the RB position too soon. As we all know, Lamar Miller has looked absolutely horrendous to open the season (2.9 YPC), and apart from his two big games last season (108 and 178) he was pretty middling, averaging just 54.2 yards per game. Just a hunch, but I think his 2014 campaign was a fluke. To compound the situation further, he's in a contract year.

If Miami were to immediately add a LaDainian Tomlinson or Barry Sanders-esque player, this offense would absolutely take flight. Imagine game planning for Tannehill and his legs, our plethora of receivers, and a HOF-caliber running back. No thanks.

Of course, the counter-argument to that is that our offensive line wouldn't be good enough to truly accentuate the talent of a HOF running back.

Either way, I'm not too worried about our defense - I believe it will stiffen up as the season dredges on. I still wish we could have drafted Todd Gurley, though.

30. Undisputed

Undisputed Banned

Mar 2, 2015
    MLB or RB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    And also the fact that our OC enjoys running Lamar 10-13 carries per game. AP or LeVeon wouldnt be successful top RBs with our playcalling either and lack of ambition to run the ball with any consistency throughout the game. (AP got 10 carries his first game, he sucked, and team got blown out by SF, then they fed him a solid amount of carries and he had a great game and the team won, so the proof is there)

Miami opts to pass way too much every game and teams know we pass the ball too much so they let their DL pin their ears back and rush RT17 (which is a reason for a high number of sacks). Does anyone find it funny that our most dominant offensive output in the past 3 years was a game against a really good New England team where we ran Knowshon 24 times and Lamar had quite a few carries that game too.

32. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    What's sad is the reading comprehension or lack thereof. DG clearly said HOF player, not coach.

What's really sad is that most of the people talking about coaching are talking about coaching mainly bc they have no clue what's happening on the field. "Coaches Suck" is basically the laymen term for" I thought we were gonna win but we didn't and I don't know why".

33. Phins_Fan_87

Phins_Fan_87 Phins and Heat fan Club Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Weston
    HC. ****ing coaching staff is inept and just wasting all our time.

Would have been in the playoffs last year for sure if we had a hof coach.

34. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Lol right on cue. I think blaming the coaches has some kind of soothing affect. Requires zero analysis or critical thinking. Just blame the coaches and be done with it.

Sceeto likes this.
  35. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Well.. let's hear your analysis of why Philbin isn't a problem. Obviously the rest of us are doing "zero analysis or critical thinking".

Phins_Fan_87 likes this.
  36. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Defensive Tackle :shifty:

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

37. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    The nut-huggers will cringe and think its a slight....but obviously QB.

38. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    do you think we're going thru some growing pains? Or is this all normal what happened the first couple weeks?.. Seeing that we were beat on both sides of Los in two games against pretty mediocre teams what does that tell you?

Tin Indian likes this.
  39. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014

All good questions. Right this minute I'm thinking the Dolphins aren't as good as I thought they were. But it's very early.

Let me ask, if Miami had blown out the Skins and Jax like many expected what would that mean? The Bills and Jets are still on deck and those two games are far more important than the last two, no?

I watched the Skins earlier today vs a Rams front just as talented as Miami's and they pretty much ran the ball at will. Beat St Louis by two scores, a week after the Rams defeated Seattle, sacking Wilson 5-6 times and limiting Lynch to we'll below his normal output.

I guess my point is yeah, this is still a feeling out phase. I'm not knee jerk guy. I'm not gonna blame the coaches. Put on the Jax tape and you'll see the PLAYERS lost that game. I dont mean to disrepesct anyone but to me it's clear as day.

40. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Grimes and Aikens were both beaten for big plays on double moves by Robinson. McCain had a bad day, couldn't find the ball on a 9 route, had a bad PI before half time. Vernon lost his cool, took a PF that put Jax in position for an easy FG late. One of 8 4th quarter penalties for a team that doesn't average 8 penalties per game under Philbin. I don't think coaching has anything to do with those plays.

That's not to say the coaches have done a great job. They share the blame. But isn't it true that most people were banking on two easy wins to start the season? And in the absence of the expected results aren't many people reaching for explanations instead of rethinking their initial asseasments?