1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which head coach has more control over his players, Jim Harbaugh or Joe Philbin?

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by Paul 13, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    With 49ers defensive end Aldon Smith being arrested this morning for DUI, interesting to note which coach has more control over his team? After the first game of the season, I'd suspect the local media would have said Harbaugh. Maybe they should look again. This is the 49ers 5th DUI related arrest in the last 2 1/2 years. Shouldn't off the field incidents be factored into a coaches ability to control his team (as well as on field incidents)? Especially during the regular season...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/20/aldon-smith-arrested-for-suspicion-of-dui/

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I was just about to post a thread on this Pauly,I can't freakin believe what I heard, first of all Harbaugh is full of crap saying that it's an NFL issue in terms of consequences, 2nd of all he let the fu&$in idiot practice today, after he made bail, and had alcohol in his system, 3 rd, he said he's gonna play this Sunday..

Now I admit, I'm a Harbaugh soldier, but is this guy playing some mind games with him by making him practice, or is he so desperate to win, he's sacrificing some morals?, I mean isn't the right thing to do is suspend this dumass and make an example out if him..

I mean letting him practice???, you think it bonds the team moreso because he showing smith and his team he will not abandon them no matter what.??

I'm confused in this one, I'm not sure I agree with Harbaugh on this one.

What I like about what were doing, is that eventually, you might sacrifice a bit of talent for guys that do things the right way, but eventually it might turn out in the end as winning the race.

Paul 13 likes this.
  3. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    Players of Aldon Smith's caliber always get free passes & they need him so it's not surprising.

-Sent from my TMO Samsung Galaxy S4

Paul 13 likes this.
  4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I said this last year and I got some flack for it, but I don't think Harbaugh is the kind of coach that can keep his team together through adversity. i think the adversity they are dealing with is the Super Bowl loss and sudden super stardom.

I think when he came in, being a former bigger named player (and a QB), he was able to get the players to buy in to his philosophy pretty quick. Already having stellar talent on the team enough to win and then doing so right away, cemented the buy in. But Harbaugh is a bit of a kooky bastard and those kinds don't have sustained success in the NFL. They are erratic and tend to display extreme emotions and generally shine real bright then flame out. I'd put him in the same personality category (nothing to do with record, just personality) as Rex Ryan, Jon Gruden, Jerry Glanville, etc. Philbin on the other hand, is a consistent & stoic coach, who I'd put in the same personality category as Tony Dungy, Bill Walsh, Don Shula, etc.

The main difference being is that the stoic guys seem to have more lasting success, because players already there and new ones coming in, know exactly what to expect.

Again, this is all my opinion, so Mr. Clean, if you ask, no i don't have proof in the form of personality tests filled out in triplicate.

Paul 13 likes this.
  5. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Eh I think they both have control of their team in different ways. Philbin is more of a disciplinarian, and a father. He will scold you, and he will make you feel like your career is on the line if you **** with him. I like that attitude by the way.

Harbaugh is more of a player's coach, he was a player himself, he's one of the guys, and the team rallies around him because of it. I like that attitude as well, but I'm sure Harbaugh is going to get at Aldon Smith for his recent incident.

Paul 13 likes this.
  6. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Wow, goin up against the monster...

7. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Harbaugh might be making him practice, run gassers on purpose while hungover, maybe this is how he deals with him..Love Harbaugh, I'll have to go against Fin on this one...he's usually right when it comes to this stuff but.

8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    As I was saying...the 49ers are unraveling and Philbin is strengthening.

Paul 13 likes this.