1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitner guarantees playoff berth for bills

Discussion in 'AFC East Rivals' started by ATVZ400, Jul 7, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Jets81 likes this.
  2. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

Good luck with that Donte.

I still don't understand the love for the Bills each year. They havn't been to the playoffs since 2000 and their Quarterback is nothing more than a 100lb when soaking wet Game Manager. Who do they have at receiver aside from Lee Evans? Whose so great in their secondary and at Linebacker for them?

I just never understand it. Until they show it on the field, Buffalo is no better than a 6-10 to 8-8 ball club. A team I don't think is better than the Jets and thats not a "homer" look at it. Its just a look at the teams rosters without the idiotic thought of "Well, the Jets were 4-12 last season so they SUCK and in no way can they be better than 6-10 this season despite the fact they added Alan Faneca, Kris Jenkins, Calvin Pace, Tony Richardson and Vernon Gholston. The Jets SUCK!". Those are the people who don't watch the games.

3. Jets81

Jets81 Junior Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Thats a good one.

4. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    Who's cookin the crow this year for Whitner?

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    One thing I've learned.

When you guarantee something, it never happens.

Sorry Whitner. Get back in your cage.

6. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    Only teams who can guarantee anything are New England and Indianapolis.

7. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    :sidelol::sidelol::sidelol: is this guy serious?!?!

8. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    What have they done to get better this season? What's going to make them significantly different from last season?

9. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    That IS the Bills EVERY year!

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I agree with everything except one, Posluszney. I thought he was going to be second string behind DeGorgio who had a big year last year in his absence?

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't know. DiGiogorio had 112 tackles last year and was productive. They can't move Poz to the outside because they have Crowell whos very good and Kawika Mitchell now.

12. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Kawika Mitchell is nice, but he's either playing well or he's invisible making no plays whatsoever. The only reason why he was signed so quickly once Free Agency rolled around is because of the Giants' success.

I'll take the Jets Linebacker Unit over Buffalo's anyday.

Poslusknky / DiGorgigio / Crowell
    vs.
    Gholston / Barton / Harris / Pace

13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Lol, I rather take 4 'backers than 3 too. :up:

14. GoBills24

GoBills24 New Member

May 20, 2008
    Not really sure what I think of Whitner's guarantee.

What I do like about it, is that there's actually some confidence in this team. It's a very nice change from when a group of disgruntled veterans ran the team into the ground. It's a very family-type, close-knit group here, at least from what I've read as of late.

I don't have a prediction on whether it will come to fruition or not; I'm not real big on making predictions on the team until I see them play a bit first. It may sound like a cop-out, but really, aren't most of the predictions made, made on paper offseason aquisitions anyway?

15. GoBills24

GoBills24 New Member

May 20, 2008
    Every team in the East is getting better, IMO. Maybe not New England, however; they really don't have room to improve much, unfortunately. Miami showed through the Draft that they're going to build that team the correct way, from the lines outward. They'll be a tougher out than they were before.

As for the Bills on offense, I think Trent Edwards is the one to step up and be a leader. It's a large burden to put on a 2nd year QB's shoulders, but he showed signs of it last year.

And BTW, I would like to see the Phins improve to where they used to be in the '90's. That way the Bills-'Phins could rule the division like they used to, and bring back that special rivalry. But I'm thinking that's a bit down the line, of course.

16. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I agree. However, I think the Bills and the Dolphins are in line to do what you hope. The Bills and Dolphins are building their teams through the draft. The Jets have just bought a few players that they hope can turn their team now. The Patriots still have a window of a couple of years.

17. rdhstlr23

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Their direction is headed in the right spot, no doubt about it. If the Bills hit on a QB (Trent Edwards), they could be a surprise team and a formidable one in the AFC East for years to come.

I agree about their talent and play. They played out of their minds for all of the injuries they had last year. If anything there will be an improvement, especially because of the players brought in from this offseason and the help they're going to get from getting healthy. IMO, I believe the Bills will finish this year 2nd in the division and in the running for the playoffs. They're very young and a good football team. It really depends on their QB play.

18. GoBills24

GoBills24 New Member

May 20, 2008
    I agree about your first line on Edwards, but no one's really saying that too much yet. One of the few things that our old OC did right, was that he put in that kind of offense for Trent to run. As you know, our whole freakin' defense was riddled with injuries, and we needed to keep them off the field as much as possible. Now that our defense has some new pieces to it, the new OC in here promises to open up the offense. It'll be interesting to see where that goes.

I don't think Edwards was awesome, or great, or anything near that, but he did do a serviceable / efficient job for a rookie. I think you'd agree with me on that one.

19. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Excuse me?

The Jets are trying to win. That is why have brought in PRO BOWLERS at Left Guard and Nose Tackle, two of the most important positions on the field, especially for teams who prefer to run the ball on offense and use a 34 scheme on defense. The Jets are a good team. Make no mistake about it. No matter who the Quarterback is, this team is 8-8 at worse.

Buffalo? You're no better for "buying" your players. Last year you were buying Offensive Lineman left and right. Trent Edwards is nothing but a Game Manager. You better hope James Hardy stops getting into trouble and gives Buffalo that second receving target that they need or else you'll be around .500 and out of the playoffs yet again.

20. GoBills24

GoBills24 New Member

May 20, 2008
    Little presumptious, don't you think?

And BTW, when did Hardy "get into trouble". Nothing came out of that, nothing got on his record.

As for the Jets getting 8-8 at worst, I'll disagree there. But it seems you're so confident on it, how about a friendly bet?

21. rdhstlr23

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I didn't mean to imply that there was something wrong with that. What I wanted to imply is that the Jets aren't in line for future success like the Bills, and maybe to a smaller degree the Dolphins.

They did bring in Pro Bowlers, but shoot, that really isn't the measure of success. There are plenty of players on the Pro Bowl who aren't the best at their position, let alone Top 3-5 at their position.

I wouldn't be so certain that the Jets can't finish worse than 8-8. I think you grossly overpaid for Calvin Pace and Kris Jenkins has never played 3-4 in his life, let alone can't stay healthy either. You're hinging a lot of your run defense on a guy who's learning a new position and trying to stay healthy.

I'd also like to get in a little wager action myself.

22. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Don't normally protect Jets fans but 124 is tight. Only two years did he have a season where he missed games. Every other season he has played the full season. Those two years were in '04 and '05.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  23. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I agree that the Jets have brought in some nice players but can Kris Jenkins play the nose? I think the Jets will have between seven to nine wins this year.

I agree that James Hardy will have to stay out of trouble. He had the whole gun-pointing incident with his father but his father never did anything about it. However, he has had problems and he needs to watch what he does or he won't be in this league too long.

24. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Blah, Blah, Blah.

Two significant signings? Really? :sidelol:

Alan Faneca, Pro Bowl Left Guard
    Kris Jenkins, Pro Bowl DT, one of the best in the game.
    Tony Richardson, Pro Bowl FB, one of the best blocking FB's in the game.

Pace & Woody, we'll see, but for all the bashing on Pace on this site, your boy Parcells seemed to want him, but just couldn't land him because he wasn't willing to pay up. Pace doesn't deserve the money he got, but he isn't going to be a terrible player.

Vernon Gholston is yet another pass rusher and Dustin Keller is our version of Ben Watson / Dallas Clark. You're high on Ted Ginn, right? We have every right to be high on Keller, the best receiving Tight End in College Football last season.

You'll be very surprised this season Aqua, very surprised. If you don't think this team is at least a 8-8 team, then I don't know whats wrong. The hatred factor playing in? You can laugh at 10 win predictions, but I laugh at Miami 6 win predictions. What moves did you make that you can up your win total by 5 games that the Jets can't up theres by at least 4?

Losing Zach Thomas?
    Ronnie Brown coming back from a torn ACL?
    Chad Henne?
    Ernest Wilford?

25. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    A bet that the Jets will be 8-8 or better? Psh. Thats an easy bet to win for me, you're on. Lay the terms.

26. GoBills24

GoBills24 New Member

May 20, 2008
    Alright then, it's a bet.

Jets win eight games or more - you pick my avatar / signature for me to sport until the NFL Draft.

Jets win seven games or less - I pick your avatar / signature for you to sport until the NFL Draft.

Sound good?

27. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Hardy still pointed a gun at his dad,the charges were dropped but that doesnt mean it never happened.
    He still has to keep his nose clean.

28. GoBills24

GoBills24 New Member

May 20, 2008
    Very true, but doesn't that still hold the same for other / all NFL players?

29. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    For this site? Deal.

30. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Goodell will be keeping his eye on Hardy and the other rookies who have that kind of history more so than the ones with clean records. Hardy needs to stay out of trouble, but according to Willis McGahee that will be easy to do since there are no places to drink up there...

In freakin Buffalo, Willis? Seriously? :sidelol: Marshawn Lynch is better than McGahee anyway 24, you're better off with him, I hope you know that already.

31. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Yeah just ask Marshawn Lynch where the bars are.

124 likes this.
  32. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Well he can teach you to run over some people and "not realize it". :sidelol:

33. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    You would think a scream of pain or a thud would be a good indication even if you are wasted.

34. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Leon Washington is a playmaker and Jerricho Cotchery is one of the best YAC receivers in the game. Laveranues Coles has 4.3 speed but you never see it because of Pennington's weak arm and inability to get the ball downfield more than 20 yards more than two or three throws a season. We have the "Gamebreakers" they just can't be used if Pennington is under center. With Clemens, Coles went deep (when he could play with him) last year. If Clemens is the starter, you'll see plenty of deep passes to Coles. Plenty. The guy has unbelieveable speed. Back when he was a youngster he worked out very well with Testaverde as the third receiver.

The Jets lost 7 games by 7 points or less in 2007 after making the playoffs in 2006. We have a brand new line change at NT as well (thank god. They have added the 2nd best G in the game and have a much improved Front 7 with Jenkins over Robertson and Pace over Hobson.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  35. rdhstlr23

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Coles and Cotchery are both good WR's, not great but good. Coles might have run a 4.3 when he was 21, but after 9 seasons in the NFL and at age 31 I don't think he can run that anymore. I'm not saying he isn't fast, but he's no longer one of the fastest guys in the NFL.

You discount QB play so easily. Who cares if you throw the ball deep more? You have to complete the passes. Pennington can't throw them and Clemens can't complete them. Clemens had 5 TD's and 10 INT's. The Buffalo Bills have a better QB situation, IMO.

You can't showcase your playmakers unless you get quality QB play. Trust us, we had Chris Chambers and Marty Booker in their primes and couldn't utilize them for crap--both Pro Bowl WR's.

Maybe I don't give Kris Jenkins enough credit, but you're asking a guy who has played a 4-3 attack the gap style of defense his whole career and now asking him to beef up and be a NT in a 3-4. I wouldn't expect him to come in right away and be the great player you've seen. He's going to be a completely different type of player. In my mind, as good as he is I think you're putting a square peg into a round hole here.

The Dolphins lost plenty of close games too, but bad teams lose close games-that's why they're bad. The Jets are better than Miami, and I expect them to have a better record. However, with the additions and upgrades, I still don't figure them to be a contender for the Wild Card or for a Division Title.

36. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Clemens was making his first eight starts in his career behind one of the worst Offensive Lines in Football last season. Adrien Clarke and Anthony Clement are/were TERRIBLE and D'Brickashaw Ferguson regressed because of it. He and Mangold, although Mangold didn't regress, will be much better served with a 7 time Pro Bowler between them. You can't complete the passes if you can't get protected. The only reason why Chad's completion percentage is so high is because of his 3-7yd dumpoffs. Clemens actually likes to play like most NFL QB's and throw the ball down the field. You know, the thing winning Quarterbacks do?

You're right, Coles doesn't run a 4.3 anymore, most likely, but his speed is still there. Sure he's no Santana Moss in the speed colum, but he can beat most Cornerbacks downfield. He proved that against Cincinnati and Pittsburgh last season.

The Kris Jenkins incident is this. Yes he played the in the 43 for his entire career, BUT, he unlike Dewayne Robertson did not play the make a move and rush the passer in the 43. He stayed back holding up two blockers allowing guys like Julius Peppers and Mike Rucker to get the Quarterback. Jenkins is used to routinely taking on two, sometimes three blockers at a time. He is a totally different defensive tackle, who also is a couple inches taller and 50-60lbs heavier. He is a tremendous upgrade.

The Jets are .500 team no matter who the QB is, but what they get from the QB play determines if they compete for a playoff spot with a 10-6 record or not. The schedule plays in their favor with home games against Miami (obviously), Arizona, Denver, Cincinnati and St.Louis. Teams who had poor 2007 showings and who struggle on the road. If they can find a way to win four of those games, they're halfway there to being a .500 club and 40% of the way there to 10-6.

37. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Come on Aqua you know this, as long as he is on the Dolphins he is a piece of ****.

End.
    of.
    Discussion.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  38. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Dude, where have I said that? Maybe other Jets fans have said that, but I havn't. I have said time and time again that John Beck is your best Quarterback.

39. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Those are the same idiot Jet fans who believe Clemens is garbage because he didn't beat out Pennington in the 2007 Training Camp. They forget to realize that Mangini wasn't going to bench the QB who took his team to the playoffs in 2006 and that Pennington is the ultimate Practice Performer.

Its July man, a lot of "noobs" and tools running around the boards. :wink2:

40. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Lol, I wonder what they would say at JetNation if they saw this post.