Who do you want in the first round
93 replies
I would want RB "Melvin Gordon".
I think him and Miller would light a fuse in the offense and help our team with scoreing and getting down the field.
For defence, I would go with a cornerback I don't know who though.
I think he is a luxury pick and will be gone before we pick anyhow.
Sadly we need an unsexy draft and have to shore up the OL.
Best case is to trade down and pick up more picks.
"Bigsteve606 wrote:
I would want RB "Melvin Gordon".
I think him and Miller would light a fuse in the offense and help our team with scoreing and getting down the field.
For defence, I would go with a cornerback I don't know who though.
It would be a great pick for us as he would put makeup on the whole offense, however , I dont think Dolphins brass is smart enough to take the future best RB in the league. As long as its not an OL, we drafted James/Turner early last year, pick up OGs in FA, as long as they take a big NT, FS, or CB, I will be happy.. Im tired of wasting picks on OL because our QB has no pocket awareness. We need an impact player on offense though and Gordon can do so much for our offense. (Hes being compared to J. Charles who happens to have the highest YPC average in NFL history) We can sign Knowshon back to cheap 1 year deal and have a 3 headed monster with Gordon/Miller/Moreno
Melvin Gordon is interesting. I have some concerns:
1) We need a back who can complement Miller and run with some power inside, that's not really Gordon, who is more similar to Miller than a power back.
2) Gordon, to me, is a bit of a long-legged, long-strider who is at his best when in motion already at the snap... meaning, I am not sure how explosive hsi acceleration is from a dead stop on traditional running plays.
3) He does his best work outside, or with excellent clean lanes and big holes. Not a guy who creates when the Oline is sucking (see the Ohio State game)
Some stuff to like...
1) I like his tenacity. He does fight for yards.
2) He will lower the shoulder... but still, he is no battering ram.
3) He take nice angles and has great speed at top stride and hits lanes and alleys very well.
4) Will break big plays.
5) Good at slipping leg tackles and open field tackles.
6) Decent blocker. Can split out wide a bit too.
In short, he's a talent, for sure but he's not the perfect style for a bread-and-butter pick for us. He's a guy that if he somehow made the second round, I take him. But not in the first, only because he's not an ideal fit when we have much bigger holes. Chances are he goes late first.
I want a WR. With Wallace and Hartline like being cut or traded, we'll need to rebuild the position.
Luckily, that position appears to be well stocked for the second straight year. Personally, I love Devante Parker. He's got size, speed, and is great in the red zone. Jaelen Strong isn't as fast as Parker but is bigger and more physical.
Either way the Dolphins need to invest in the position. The last WR they've taken in Round 1 was Ted Ginn. So, yeah.
"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"
I am all in on Devante Parker. He is the red zone threat we sorely need. And it makes all the sense in the world, which is why we won't take him.
Unsexy.
The best most skillful linebacker available.
"Vertical Limit wrote:
The best most skillful linebacker available.
Perryman or Kendricks?
"Bpk wrote:
Melvin Gordon is interesting. I have some concerns:
1) We need a back who can complement Miller and run with some power inside, that's not really Gordon, who is more similar to Miller than a power back.
2) Gordon, to me, is a bit of a long-legged, long-strider who is at his best when in motion already at the snap... meaning, I am not sure how explosive hsi acceleration is from a dead stop on traditional running plays.
3) He does his best work outside, or with excellent clean lanes and big holes. Not a guy who creates when the Oline is sucking (see the Ohio State game)
Some stuff to like...
1) I like his tenacity. He does fight for yards.
2) He will lower the shoulder... but still, he is no battering ram.
3) He take nice angles and has great speed at top stride and hits lanes and alleys very well.
4) Will break big plays.
5) Good at slipping leg tackles and open field tackles.
6) Decent blocker. Can split out wide a bit too.
In short, he's a talent, for sure but he's not the perfect style for a bread-and-butter pick for us. He's a guy that if he somehow made the second round, I take him. But not in the first, only because he's not an ideal fit when we have much bigger holes. Chances are he goes late first.
BK in the house..offseason form lol.

"speed wrote:
Perryman or Kendricks?
I'm also liking Shaq Thompson out of Washington
These are positions I would consider: G, WR, FS, LB, DT
With those 5 positions being of interest, I'm tempted to go BPA amongst those players, however we need to think long term and we need to get more information about our roster.
First, we need to see how the team goes about handling the Hartline and Wallace situation. While Landry is an asset in the slot, we need two legitimate outside WRs. Hartline seems to be a good fit for Tannehill and he's cheaper. Wallace has elite speed and showed he can produce TDs without the deep ball. He's more expensive and has a bit of an attitude but nonetheless, he's a bigger weapon that Hartline in my view. I'm comfortable with either one.
If we lose Hartline and keep Wallace, our offense won't change that much and thus I don't think WR in the first round will be a worthwhile pick. If we lose Hartline, we can very easily plug in Brandon Gibson or someone else and get the same production Hartline did within Bill Lazor's offense. Now on the other hand, if we lose Wallace and keep Hartline, we'll be losing Lazor's #1 target as well as his 10 TDs. In that scenario, I think we'll be hurting for both speed and size so I'd consider WR a lot more.
Now, with that said, our inability to run the ball between the tackles (especially in the red zone) is a bigger deal than whatever lack we may have of a "big" WR in my opinion. While guys like Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffry, Dwayne Bowe, etc. are all useful on occasion, they aren't as necessary as people make them out to be. By comparison, guys like Julio Jones, Sammy Watkins, Larry Fitzgerald, Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas have great hands and good speed which are really more important than shear size.
Needless to say, we need to see who is on the roster before we decide what our 1st round pick will be.
In general however, the least scheme specific positions (G, WR, and FS) would be most appealing to me because the coaches would be less likely to screw them up or put them in the wrong position. We should also be anticipating the possibility of scheme changes if and when Philbin & Co get the boot in 2016. If that's the case, the more talent we have that isn't tied to a single defensive front (34 vs 43) for example, the better off the next coaching staff will be and the more likely it is those players will continue to excel.
I would love to get the next Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans or Earl Thomas, but short of those kind of options, I'd prefer that we add a Guard that will help the team get more physical. We need to open up bigger holes for Lamar Miller and we need to be able to run the ball in the 4th quarter as well as in the red zone. Adding a Guard is more about winning football games than it is about supporting Ryan Tannehill's stats. If we want to win more football games, this offense needs to increase its physicality and become more assertive at the line of scrimmage. That HAS to happen. There's not way around it. Ryan Tannehill, Mike Wallace, Charles Clay etc. are not good enough to carry the team as part of a "finesse" offense. We will never have the talent that Green Bay has so if we convince ourselves that we can win games like they do, we're going to be an 8-8 team for a long time.
What worries me is that the more scheme-specific 43 DTs, 34 NTs, 43 OLBs, 43 ILBs, and 34 ILBs could all, if put in the wrong scheme, wind up becoming the next Dion Jordan (i.e. a great prospect that is a poor fit). It's certainly possible that the BPA is at one of those positions however I'm not going to even think about reaching on one of them. We also need to see what pans out with our DT position with free agency upcoming. Whether or not we get Odrick re-signed and/or bring in a veteran talent will be very meaningful.
Kevin White or DeVante Parker would both give us something we have lacked for a very, very, very long time.
"heylookatme wrote:
Kevin White or DeVante Parker would both give us something we have lacked for a very, very, very long time.
Tannehill would be drooling!
3 years ago with Brandon Marshall? Doesn't seem that long ago to me...
"shamegame13 wrote:
3 years ago with Brandon Marshall? Doesn't seem that long ago to me...
seems like a lifetime ago!
"speed wrote:
seems like a lifetime ago!
I hear ya man, we could use a big WR on the outside for sure, good thing FA and draft have quite a selection of em this year too.
As I watched film on some guys I stumbled across this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhTjwaYrfRw
"speed wrote:
Perryman or Kendricks?
Kendricks. Hands-down.
But I think it comes with a caveat: you must get a block-eating DT in front of him or you'll regret it.
"Bpk wrote:
As I watched film on some guys I stumbled across this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhTjwaYrfRw
I think CK needs a good manager if he doesn't already have one.

"djphinfan wrote:
I think CK needs a good manager if he doesn't already have one.
Barber.
Shave that playoff beard from '08.
I want Shaq Thompson or Kevin White.
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
If we're talking wideouts give me Kevin White or Sammie Coates at 14. The other guys, not so confident (gotta check out Strong a bit more).
Coates is going to rise fast into the top-20 conversation, imo. He's going to obliterate the combine measurables. But there and at his pro day I want to see evidence that he's taken these months to work on some fundamental hands and route-running stuff. If he shows that he's taken the time and discipline to get some work done there, sign me up. The ceiling he has...:yes:
I also like CB Marcus Peters a lot...but that's probably a can of worms for another time.
The problem with Gordon has nothing to do with him; it's that the best value in this draft will be at running back in the third and fourth rounds. Id wait until then before blowing a first round wad on any RB.
2020 ThePhins Club Fantasy Football Champion