1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who do you want in the first round

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Bigsteve606, Jan 3, 2015.

1. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    yes, because these are the backs you're potentially getting.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[video=youtube;e25kfgmKV48]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e25kfgmKV48[/video]
    [video=youtube;5qMzVNKp2tw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qMzVNKp2tw[/video]
    [video=youtube;Iz0l3vchrzA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz0l3vchrzA[/video]

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  2. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I'm just not convinced you need to spend a 1st round pick on a RB in this league any more.

3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Need to? No.

But that doesn't preclude the possibility of taking one because the opportunity is right.

shamegame13 likes this.
  4. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Gordon hits the hole fast, decisively and efficiently, great vision while running. You can see why he has so many long runs- on top of the obvious physical tools, it's that vision as he plots his next move, extraordinary. Running back doesn't come to mind first when I think of Dolphins draft needs, but if a great player at an impact position is there...who can argue with that? We have other rounds of the draft and FA to get OGs, that goes for DT as well. I would have no problem taking Gordon in the 1st rd, and to me Gordon has Ozzie Newsome written all over him, I can see the Ravens getting a steal there and a super replacement for Ray Rice (Justin Forsett isn't getting any younger). Gordon is an elite player at an impact position, bottom line. If the Dolphins could actually draft a quality OL after the first round it would make this drafting thing a whole lot easier.

1. OT La'el Collins or RB Melvin Gordon
    2. Texas DT Malcolm Brown (if he declares)
    3. Jose Matias or Trey Jackson, FSU Guards
    4. Laken Tomlinson or John Miller, Guards

Other guys who I'd keep a close eye on in rds 2-4 are ILB Denzel Perryman, WR Sammie Coates and OT Ereck Flowers.

Get Billy Turner coached up at OT where he belongs, Dion Jordan back at OLB, Terrence Fede progressing at DE, same for Arthur Lynch at TE, bring back Knowshon Moreno if we don't go for Gordon, MCain and Tripp maturing at LB and Brandon Gibson comes back strong in year 2 post ACL injury. I could live with that.

5. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    When the Vikes took AP #8 overall, they had a guy named Chester Taylor who was supposed to be "the guy" after breaking 1000 yards for the first time in his career the year prior (sound familiar with Miller?), that changed the day they took AP because of AP's special talent, but not only that, having a guy like Chester Taylor there already, helped guide AP into the league helping him become the monster he eventually became by having AP learn and not on the field every play as Taylor and AP were a tandem in AP's rookie season. Lamar Miller is our Chester Taylor.

6. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    That would be cool.

7. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I'm a little concerned about Danny Shelton. I know he had a great statistical game against Hawaii.... but he was gassed the entire 2nd quarter and much of the 4th. Secondly, whenever he can gain momentum off the snap he's a beast, but when he's stalled at the POA, it seems like he has trouble getting himself going and doesn't do a good enough job keeping his feet moving or using that same violence and power he displays when he's got some momentum going which allows the O-lineman to keep him engaged, especially when he's doubled. If this can happen against Hawaii and Ga State, then what's gonna happen against NFL guards & centers? These were the first and fourth games of the season so hopefully it was improved upon as the season wore on.

With the #14 pick, you better be getting another Dontari Poe, and Dontari Poe Shelton is not. IMO 14 is way too high to take a 2-down lineman who looks no better than Paul Soliai and has a limited repertoire to his game. At the moment I'd rather have Eddie Goldman, and it's not even close..... or save the 1st for Melvin, White, Beasley, or Collins and use the 2nd on Carl Davis [with a trade back if needed].

8. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Still, I'm scared Ryan Tannehill will die if we don't draft an offensive lineman like Collins who could possibly play inside and out. The sheer amount of hits this guy has taken in three years is unbelievable. Melvin Gordon is def. moving up on the list of players I want at 14, but a 1-2 notable lineman FA acquisitions need to take place before I'm entirely comfortable with it.

I wouldn't be too shocked to see Minnesota take him at 11 like they did AP years ago at 8. Give Norv Turner a solid running game and he's going to make things happen w/Teddy B. in year 2.

shamegame13 likes this.
  9. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    I'm hoping the plan for us is to grab 2-3 OL in FA (most notably O. Franklin, obvious reasons, local product at Miami U, played well at OG this year and has played RT in the past, so he's a guy we could move around if need be) and maybe draft another in middle rounds.

However, I can't help but agree with you that Melvin will already be selected by the time our pick is up, we are talking about a premier talent, I dont think he makes it out of top ten..

Clark Kent likes this.
  10. speed

speed Banned

Oct 14, 2014
    I would love to have Gordon, but he is a luxury pick. We have way too many holes to fill.

11. MiamiDolphin618

MiamiDolphin618 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 17, 2014
    This is how you get stuck in mediocrity. Sure, if you think there is a better player than Gordon on the board then go for it. However, you cannot afford to pass up elite talent in order to "fill holes". We can build a team full of Odrick's and Misi's and we will continue to be a average team.

Clark Kent and shamegame13 like this.
  12. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't know if I like the idea of filling immediate needs with draft picks anyway. They mostly don't play right away and when they do they don't necessarily play well. Gotta just draft the guy you think is the best that fits the best into your system.

You want to make sure the guy has an opportunity to affect the game right away if he's good out of the box, but you don't necessarily need him to be a guy that fills your most immediate need.

shamegame13, ToddPhin and Stitches like this.
  13. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Don't think we'll ever see a Super Bowl team full of positions that were "need-based filled". Talent. talent talent talent, especially at impact positions. That's why I'd have no problem drafting Shane Ray or Vic Beasley. We only have 1 great edge rusher, and he's 33 and a left-side-only rusher. Shane Ray pressuring Brady's blind side in nickel [with Dion Jordan coming up the middle] would make me happy in pants. Then when Wake has to transition to the situational passer role, we'd have an appropriate weakside DE stud in place who can play left or right and thus actually stay with the weak side [unlike Wake] which lets him always be off the edge, in turn maintaining better scheme integrity.

Not to mention, you usually don't get these types of pass rushers in the 20's or even every draft for that matter, so I think it's kind of risky to pass on these necessary impact players when they're there for the taking b/c you might not get the opportunity for years without a lofty trade up. Would I take a guard over a potentially elite pass rusher? Heck no. A good guard in FA will do the job. Meanwhile, IMO, there's significant difference in impact between a good defensive end and an elite one. Would I take a non-franchise caliber nose tackle like Danny Shelton over a potentially elite pass rusher? Hell no. There are 2 solid nose tackles available this FA alone [Dan Williams/Knighton]. How many elite pass rushers in this FA, let alone ones under $35 million? The 14 pick has gotta be a special player who becomes a key piece to the team for the next 8+ years.

Shane Ray, Fowler Jr, Beasley, Melvin Gordon, Eddie Goldman, Landon Collins, Kevin White, Amari Cooper. That's the list. If we bypass one of these franchise caliber players for a f***ing guard I'm gonna be pissed. We would've had to trade up for these players if this were the 2013 draft, but in 2015 we're gonna have a few to choose from at 14, so Hickey better f***ing address guard in FA.

shamegame13 likes this.
  14. shamegame13

Dec 15, 2014
    Im good with every single person on that list, I wish you were GM for the Phins.

ToddPhin likes this.