1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who drafted Chad Henne?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football' started by MonstBlitz, Sep 5, 2011.

1. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Ok homers, raise your hands if you drafted Chad Henne.

[​IMG]

Drafted him in round 18 of 18 in a keeper league. Hoping for an outside shot of the lightbulb coming on and Henne becoming a fantasy football point machine! He has been known to throw for a pile of yardage in games and our league has huge yardage bonuses / ranges.

Having Phillip Rivers as my starter made it a little easier to roll the dice.

2. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    17th round pick, very last player taken. Pretty good value if he pans out

3. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I did. Brees is my starter, but has a bye week 11. We play the bills, so I figured he could light them up at home.

4. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I did in a few leagues... usually if I had a tier one starter (Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Brady) that I was very confident in. There was one league where I have him and Kevin Kolb as my quarterbacks because I just couldn't get one without having to reach severely if I recall... Boom or bust!

5. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Well here's to Henne helping our favorite REAL football team and fantasy football teams to many victories this season!

6. Starry31

Starry31 Phins and Heels.

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    For those that drafted Henne, does your league not take away points for interceptions?

:couch:

I learned my lesson of homerism last year as a rookie in fantasy. Man with Masrhall not only will Henne light it up in his second year playing, Ronnie will be a monster. Only player I wanted from Miami this year was Marshall if the round was right, and way my draft played out I wasn't able to get him. Also wanted the Dolphins defense but playing the Patriots, Texans, and Chargers in our first four games worry me a little. We could beat each of those teams and the defense still have a bad day fantasy wise. I hope Henne does light it up and with me not picking him I'm sure he will. He went undrafted in my league but someone dropped Orton for him yesterday.

7. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    This surely isn't my first year at fantasy. And I learned LONG ago not to rely on any Dolphins players (I'm looking at you Chris Chambers). I only took Henne in the final round of a draft that really had nothing left I needed.

I only will play him during the bye week for my starting QB, and that is all speculation based on how he is performing and who is available on the waiver wire that week.

8. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I took Henne in the 14th round of a 12 team draft. I also took Marshall in the 5th and the Miami Defense in the 11th. This is actually the most Dolphins I've ever had (12 years). But I think Henne and Marshall may put up great numbers. The change to the spread system will make a huge difference. I'm not as confident that Miami's defense will be a great fantasy D, but the defenses were going fast in my league so I needed one.

9. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    I'm more just poking fun but Henne as a late round backup it's not the worst pick, but in my 10 team league I felt safer with Cassel for now, though he is dinged and Moeaki is done for the year. Thing with a backup is ideally, yeah you only start them the bye week, but stuff happens and you never know. Peyton owners are going have to hope their backup has an OK week one and maybe more than that.

10. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I have Cassel as well, but I feel the opposite. I feel safer with Henne. My plan is to hope that Cassel heals up and plays well enough to net me something in a trade.

11. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    I do have optimism with the addition of Daboll, Bush, and Gates, even Rosario over what we had last year behind Fasano is encouraging, and Henne is young enough he still has plenty of room for progression. To compare last year though Cassel finished 12th in my league among QBs, Henne 25th; fairly big gap. Losing Moeaki hurts but they added Breaston and Baldwin, and have hopes Charles can have an incredible season. I'd put Cassel's ceiling for total points among QBs at maybe 9? I think Henne's ceiling is closer to 15 and not sure how much my bias as a fan plays into that, so think Cassel would be more consistent and produce more points if my starter (Ryan) were to go down. As I've said, would definitely love for Henne to break out and become the steal at QB this year. Not really a right or wrong answer until February.

12. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I didn't even consider taking Henne in the 10 team draft I did. But in a 12 team keeper league, with huge yard ranges and bonuses, a guy who might throw for close to 300 yards a game win or lose I felt was a gamble worth taking. Worst case scenario I have to cut him lose for another bye weak filler. Best case, I have a guy I can keep for an 18th round pick next year.

13. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Last year's showing for Miami is irrelevant since the system is so radically different. I've seen a few times where a poor preseason passing offense has played well in the regular season. It only seems to happen when a QB plays few plays. Since Cassel threw the fewest passes of any starting QB (at least going into the 4th game where he got hurt), I could see KC being one of those exceptions. But I have never seen a passing offense that showed as much rhythm as the Dolphins did in the preseason not follow it up with a similar showing in the regular season. It just doesn't happen short of a major QB injury and even then the offense usually hums along with the back up.

14. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    I wouldn't say last year's showing is irrelevant, but would agree its importance has diminished with a new system. We still have some of the same players though and others are question marks. I just can't put as much stock into the preseason performances. I don't think we know if Reggie can play a bigger role than an "X factor" type and how Thomas will do. How much of an effect will Gates have? Rosario and Clay? I think we know what we have more or less in Marshall, Fasano, Hartline, and Bess. Is Jake healthy enough to be his usual dominate self, and what about the other pieces on the line? Our best showing in preseason was against a Carolina team that isn't very good to begin with and was missing key players. These are things that will all have an effect on Henne, they work out good and watch out, but conversely... I guess I just don't want to jump the gun so to speak and have high expectations for a new offense that hasn't taken the field in a meaningful setting yet. UNC looked pretty good against James Madison but can't get too excited yet until they have played better competition.

And to bring it back to more the fantasy discussion, Dolphins could make the playoffs (looking at the schedule I feel good about a lot of it) and Henne have a season we all are happy with and he still not be all that relevant in terms of fantasy. Which I mean he doesn't have to be as a late round pick who has decent boom potential, but still feel safer with Cassel before the season starts.

15. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I'm starting him week 1 over Matt Ryan. <taking cover from the boo-birds>

16. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Crazy. But I'm not the least bit surprised. :lol:

ToddsPhins likes this.
  17. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    You should though. Like I said, I can't think of a single passing offense that showed rhythm in the preseason and then looked poor in the regular season. My first year playing fantasy football was 1999. I played in a salary cap league with over 100,000 participants. I watched the Rams in the preseason and saw Green and then Warner with great rhythm in that offense. I picked up Warner for the minimum and went on to finish in the top 1%. Since then I've always looked at that offensive rhythm and it has never failed. People look at preseason and think it's about the W/L record or they focus on those WRs that flash in the preseason and then are never heard from again. That's not the same thing. If the QB and the offense are in rhythm though that translates to the regular season unless the preseason sample is just incredibly small. That wasn't the case with Henne.

Yesterday I caught the end of Fantasy Football Now on NFL Network and they had put up a metric that predicted individual position fantasy production incorporating some strength of schedule basis (among other things). I didn't catch the specifics of the metric, but what is relevant here is that they listed the top 5 QBs predicted by that metric and the top 2 were Romo followed by Henne.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  18. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    This is only my second year of watching a good deal of preseason games and playing fantasy so I defer to you on the fact of offenses in sync during preseason carry that over. The only problem with that is Henne played good but not elite, made a few mistakes, and the sample size is small. First game no Bush or Marshall, second game a weak team missing players, third game a good showing against a legit team, fourth game no snaps. According to you and the preseason performances, which QBs beside Henne did well in preseason that you think will carry over?

I know you're not saying you necessarily agree and some of these different formulas are interesting (wish I had seen the show this aired on) but I just can't fathom Henne being a top 5 fantasy QB. That's definitely interesting though and would be great.

I'm shocked. :tongue2: With it being week one, who knows. How good is Chicago's defense this year, who Ryan plays against this week. Ignoring the second game last year we've played New England tough and don't think prime-time bothers Henne. Does Daboll and Henne fling it around? I'm predicting a win but not sure what his stats will be.

19. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't believe Henne is or ever will be elite. I put him in that next tier of QBs that can win with enough around them, but can't carry a team and won't make you a perennial contender on their own.

For fantasy purposes, however, I do think he can be very productive. Although I'm not optimistic enough to start him this week. NE's D looked very aggressive in the game I watched. And our pass blocking looked very porous. I do think our offensive weapons are a tough match up for them and Henne has shown some nice awareness and nimbleness in the pocket. I see this game as a huge unknown. The other fantasy QBs who's offenses showed great rhythm were Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Brady, Roethlisberger, Stafford and Bradford. These were the ones I watched. I hear Romo was also doing well. I think Colt McCoy will surprise. I don't put him up there with the starters, but he wouldn't be bad on a bye week if he has a favorable match-up.

But going forward, look for the offenses that are in rhythm in the preseason. It will pay off. I win my league quite a bit of the time and that rule has never failed me. Don't get caught up in the preseason stats or W/L records, but look for rhythm.

20. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Second that, in my mind I see a few different scenarios playing out.

Think Stafford will do good if he stays healthy and Best being on the field helps. Burleson showed good as a #2 and not ready to proclaim him as anything special, but did grab him real late just in case. I think Rivers is third on my list of QBs as far as talent goes, not fantasy, and could see him and the Chargers having a great year. I'm pinning a lot of my fantasy hopes on Vincent Jackson being a great fantasy WR this year.

21. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That's not a bad bet. Great QB, #1 WR with a great TE that will draw coverage, I could easily see him finishing as a top 5 guy.

22. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Yup, so crazy it might just work. :lol:

I'm guessing:
    1. If we win, Henne will be a big reason why.
    2. If we lose, Henne could post another 300+ passing game.

Matt Ryan is @ Chicago. That worries me a little.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  23. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    It's too bad LeShoure is out b/c Stafford really seemed to be in sync with his guys.
    IMO McCoy will throw a few extra TDs just from having Little out there.

24. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I thought about that since I have Brees on both my fantasy teams, but I figured henne will be on FA list for awhile and I can pick him up later. I play in a 10 and 12 team leagues, so no worries about someone else picking him up.

25. Cass

Cass Active Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bristol, England
    Picked up Rivers in Rd 1, and managed to blag Ryan as a later round back up. Quite pleased with that outcome (sorry Chad). :)

26. HenneRules

HenneRules Banned

Sep 12, 2011
    I told you dingies I'm starting Henne over Ryan!!!! lol. :tongue2:

27. Dolfan984

Dolfan984 Underrated Free Agent

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Brady's my starting QB. Marshall is one of my WRs. I picked Arian Foster #1 overall but still won by like 45. :lol:

28. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    CRAZY LIKE A FOX!!

Glad it worked out for you! :lol:

And I'm feeling pretty damn good about Chad Henne in the 18th round. Too bad our Dolphins couldn't get the win :pity: .

Who woulda thunk Henne would outscore Phil Rivers this week. Still won though...

29. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I played Big Ben, my opponent had Brady. I lost by 13 or 15. Worst part was Henne was my backup. I'd have crushed him had I played Henne.

finyank13 likes this.
  30. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I won this week despite not starting Henne. Going forward I think he's going to be a very strong option just b/c we can't run so he's going to get a ton of opportunities.

31. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Most importantly, who started Henne?

[​IMG]

32. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I'm betting just Todd. :lol:

33. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Brad Evans of Yahoo Sports said to start Houston's defense this week.........wait for it....... because Chad Henne is a statue. Last I checked, statues don't run QB draws for 9 yards and a score. :lol:

34. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    I want to see a few more weeks and different opponents, but definitely feel less safe now with Cassel as opposed to Henne. Which that's one fantasy mistake I don't really mind making. I agree with Raf that Henne will get shots and offense has changed, and Henne did look good. The only caution I have is, in my mind Henne is this guy one second you want to praise and before long he gives you a reason to curse like a sailor. All QBs play bad at times and make poor decisions, but Henne can really give you some head scratchers. I'm hoping he has became more consistent in this offense and another year under his belt, but I'm still a little concerned his inconsistency will strike at a bad time. I did love seeing him fling it around though and his body language was great, dude even used his wheels.

35. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Better question is who lost by onepoint and started the dolphins do who earned him -7

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

36. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I tried to explain this last year in the regular boards that Henne was not inconsistent at all, if you were analyzing his play. He didn't make any more inaccurate throws or poor decisions from game to game or late in games. His results were inconsistent, but that was b/c our OC was so bad. In fact, if anything, Henne was too consistent, almost robotic so that defenses knew exactly what choices he would make given our remarkably predictable play calling.

37. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    There's no way I was starting the Dolphin D (or any D) against that NE O.

38. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I was going to take them out too which sucks. Luckily in my other League I started the Lions D instead of Miami, which was more money and won that one by 5. The league I lost, I still think I have the best team so I am not too worried. They had Brady too so everytime Brady scored, I would lose points and he would gain.

39. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    I understand what you're saying about the play isn't inconsistent, just the results, but inconsistent results still make for an inconsistent QB.

Some passer ratings from the 2010 season for Chad Henne. I watched every game, though not more than once, and from my POV I did see a different Henne at times, and I don't attribute that all to the play calling. I don't think a consistent player can have such extremes and it all be the OC or luck. We might just have to disagree on this. I do hope with the change of philosophy and some added weapons that we see a more consistent Henne, both in his play and stats, I just don't want to go too overboard with just one regular season game.

I drafted the Dolphins D (only Dolphin pick), but as the game got closer I just couldn't see playing them against the Patriots. I like our defense but the odds just weren't in our favor. Follow that up with Texans in week 2 and Chargers in week 4, that was enough for me to drop them. For now I'm just going play a rotating D based on the match-ups. Would be better if I had a strong D to use every week, but almost fun shifting through the trash to find the best option every week, and hoping you hit more than you miss.

40. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i took him in a 12 team league, to lazy to check which round, but he was on the bench for big ben, but i´m thinking about it this week :shifty: