1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who else expects the team to take a step back next season?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SkapePhin, Jan 4, 2009.

1. SkapePhin

SkapePhin sigpicz.blogspot.com

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort Lauderdale
    Considering the more difficult schedule, and the improving AFC East (Brady back), I think the Dolphins will take a little step back from this season. Probably 8-8 or 9-7. However, I think 2010 could be a very special year as this team get loaded with young talent from the Ireland-Parcells-Sparano regime...

Thoughts?

2. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

It wouldn't surprise me. I didn't expect our schedule to be so cream puff this year so who knows what next year brings.

If we can shore up our secondary, get actual wide receivers (a big target would be great) and get some QUALITY depth on our o-line and d-line, we should be okay.

Oh and finally beat the Texans and win games in the playoffs, then I think we will be better. :lol:

dolfan32323 likes this.
  3. Skywalker

Skywalker Mile High Salute

Jan 1, 2009
    Montana
    Actually, Brady might not be back. And then the Jets QB situation is a huge mess right now. And who knows what Buffalo will be like.

I think the Dolphins go 10-6 :up:

Phinz420 likes this.
  4. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach

Good points, but our out of division schedule is pretty rough looking at the moment. I think we will need to see what kind of off season takes place in So FL this year.

Skywalker likes this.
  5. Caps

Caps Movimiento Juvenil

Mar 23, 2008
    I fully expect we'll take a small step back next year and possibly miss the playoffs, whether Brady comes back or not(I'm leaning not at this point).

The big thing I'll be looking for next year is strengthening our weaknesses in our pass rush and offensive line play. If we can consistently beat the teams we're supposed to and play tough close games against the good teams, win or lose, I'll be happy with next season.

PMZQ likes this.
  6. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    Yeah I'm prepared for it. But...I was prepared for 3-4 years of painful rebuilding so giving me the playoffs for one year is nice :)

7. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    I'll give you an answer after the draft. Right now I would say I expect them to take a step back.

8. Miamifan1354

Miamifan1354 Not Good Enough.

Jan 3, 2008
    I think we end up a lot closer to 8-8 than 11-5, maybe right around 9-7 next season. Even if we end up at 9-7, I'll still be happy. A playoff appearance was a great gift this year, but we all know that 2010 will be our year.

9. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I'm prepared for it, but it also depends on what we do with the draft and FA's

Its a tough schedule on paper now, but we more than anyone know how a team can change in a year.

Phinz420 likes this.
  10. BrazForPhins

BrazForPhins From south

May 4, 2008
    It's something personnal, but I usually don't take schedules very seriously until a couple weeks of played ball.

The NFL is very dynamic..a schedule that looks soft might turn out tough and vice versa, it happens every year.

Disnardo likes this.
  11. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I think they could take a step back, which goes to show how amazing a season this one ended up being.

12. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    This is idiotic. You can't take a step back if everyone else in the division has the same difficult schedule you do (the Pats schedule is just as difficult).

The record might not be 11-5 but come playoff time the same scenario could still be there. Look at San Diego. They don't give a damn that their record is miserable. They're chugging full steam ahead into a showdown with the Steelers.

The scenario for getting in hasn't changed at all. The Patriots nearly got in by winning their easy games and we got in because we took care of business. If anything this team should be much stronger for the playoffs if it makes it next year. Expect at least the pass rush problem as well as the interior offensive line issue solved. As far as the WR core nothing can be promised but give Brandon London and guys like that time.

We're not bad relax.

13. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I think its definitely possible, and to be expected with the schedule rotation we'll be facing next year. Of course, it all depends too on what kind of changes we make around here during the offseason.

14. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    For the thousandth time, we have almost an identical schedule to every other team in the division.

The Jets are falling apart, the Bills have no direction and while they may improve most likely they won't by much. The Patriots have no path to improvement. They're playing 100% and Brady won't come back nearly as strong.

BrazForPhins likes this.
  15. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Depends on our offseason. If we stand pat with the talent we have and don't bring in any difference-makers, then yes, our record will be worse next season.
    If we have a successful offseason, bring in a couple impact free agents and some big-play draft picks that can play immediately, we can do as well if not better.

Disnardo likes this.
  16. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    A step back is possible because any team can take a step back especially with our tougher schedule. Of course from the evidence I saw from an improving team all season (one game doesn't erase all of that improvement and we are still 9-2 in the last 11 games which is apparently something to be ashamed of) I expect this team to improve even more next year with improvements in the offseason. Yes I know a step back is just as possible as a step forward but the evidence shows this team is on an upswing. Easily as much as our AFC East opponents, which said division this team can win again.

Let's step back from today so we can think more clearly.

17. Straz

Straz Me and my girl :)

Mar 23, 2008
    I think since the draft and free agency has not even gone on yet, that I'm not even going to think about next year becuase who knows what the teams on our schedule will be like.

18. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    I think we are a 10+win team at the very least.

19. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    It's impossible to predict what will happen in 2009. There are too many variables (free agency, draft, injuries, player ascending and regressing, etc...)

For all we know, what looks like a tough 2009 schedule could end up being easier than what they had this year.

opfinistic likes this.
  20. BrazForPhins

BrazForPhins From south

May 4, 2008
    Imo we 'can' take a step back, but I don't think we may because of schedule.

I'm addict of the theory that teams do not win superbowls because of easy/hard paths, but because of strong showings every sunday no matter who's at the other side.

If you're the best no matter your schedule, you'll put up with everyone.

21. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

I expect them to try and get some talent to make them better next season but a tougher schedule means any team thats trying to build itself an identity could see a draw back or two.

Don't forgrt that some of the teams we may face next year might also take a step back...

opfinistic likes this.
  22. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    On paper, yes, but this team grew as this season progressed and I expect more growth throughout TC, Preseason and the regular season next year. Who knows what kind of impact player(s) we'll acquire through the draft or FA and how they will make us stronger?

Miss Cleo?

Nostradamus?

Anyone?

23. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    If we do as well in this draft as we did in the last one and if we make solid free agent moves, I think we are back in the playoffs in this coming season.

/homer

sking29 likes this.
  24. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    It all depends on how many members of the Ginn Family suit up for us. Right now I'd trade them all for a cold cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee with a cigarette butt in it.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  25. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    I think that for once we weren't looking forward to next year by week 8 this year. I think that for once we have a competent front office and coaching staff that will do the right things for this team. I think for once we're the lead dog in the AFC East. And I think that right now we don't need to worry about next year. We need to look back at this year and be thankful for such a great season and be proud of our guys. They played their hearts out all year. Let's savor what we accomplished this year a little bit more before we start prognosticating how bad we're gonna be next year.

AbideN703 and opfinistic like this.
  26. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

:lol:

:up:

The sad part is, we just lost to that idiot...:pity:

:sad:

Georgia Fin likes this.
  27. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    He couldn't be a bigger bust if he fell off the kitchen counter. It's sad as hell that the only WRs we have worth a crap (Camarillo and Bess) were undrafted and without them our WR depth was as barrin as the Sahara.

28. Styla

Styla #1 Davone Bess Fan!!!

Apr 1, 2008
    Chillaxin' in So.Cal
    I would think that we take a few steps forward. Parcells and company saw great things this season and know what we need to get even further, I have a great feeling that we attack Free Agency harder this year and have a great draft as well.:up:

Sceeto likes this.
  29. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    ill never forgive camcam for not drafting patrick willis instead of ginn.......whata joke :pity:

30. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    I hate that knob. I hate the fact that he made us a joke. I hate that he's beat us twice this year. I hope Jigsaw gets him.

SICK and dolfan32323 like this.
  31. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Christ man, did Ted Ginn Jr kick your dog or something? He has been an effective WR all season. He was an effective WR today actually. He flubbed the reverse and that was on him. But I think you're being overly critical. We need Ted Ginn Jr on this team for the future. He can do some great things.

32. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I expect the remaining 1/3 of our roster, he Lil Nicky Boyz to be pruned and we become much more aggressive...

No more Mr. Nice Phins...especially if Tuna sticks around.

We already are physical, but not dominate, we soon will be.

opfinistic likes this.
  33. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    If he was effective and worh his money and has such skill wouldn't he be able to outplay Camarillo and Bess. Hell our TE had more TDs and catches than Ginn. I can't count the number of routes he flubbs and gets ouppositioned on. Folks can love him if they like, to me, 9th overall he's a bust.

SICK and dolfan32323 like this.
  34. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Well, just as we lost a few close games in 2007, we won a few close games in 2008. So maybe it will regress to the mean the next year. But ultimately it depends on F.A. and the draft and injuries next year, and how people perform. I am hoping Ronnie gets back to all-pro level and gets in a full year next year.

35. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Well we have a lot of cap space and now with the return to credability we should be big players in FA this offseason if there are guys we covet.

opfinistic likes this.
  36. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'm semi-expecting it. That said, I hope we're not 2009's version of the 2008 Cleveland Browns.

It's been very alarming with the lack of pass-rush the last month of the season, and the power run game, a staple of Parcells, I didn't think, ever made a real appearance at all this year. Obviously losing Donald Thomas hurt, and Justin Smiley made things worse down the stretch when he went down.

For an 11-5 team, there's a lot of, not holes (there's one or two), but divets, that need to be fixed.

37. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    People that liberally throw around "bust" labels, especially for second-year wideouts that generate almost 800 receiving yards, usually lack a firm understanding of how the NFL works.

Not saying you fall into this characterization because I haven't read enough of your posts to make that assertion. Still, your post earlier in this thread, where you rip Ginn, Bess, and Camarillo makes me wonder...

Sceeto likes this.
  38. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    I honestly don't know what's going to happen next year. Obviously cuts, FA, and the draft will give us a better idea.

My concern is on the offense. I know BP will fix the D. But the oline has tons of questions from health concerns to talent. WR is a position of need with GC not likely playing for at least 1/2 the season and Ginn being inconsistent. I think Bess could take the same flight path as Welker did with us and keep getting better.

If history is an indicator we'll be in great shape. Year 2 of Parcells programs are historically great.

39. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    You're absolutely right man. 56 receptions for 790 yards, 2 TDs, a 14.1 ypc avg, 5 rushes for 73 yards and 2 TDs and 16 kick returns for 657 yards a 20.5 yard avg...those are real bust stats. God, why can't we find those wide receivers that catch for 3,000 yards and 86 touchdowns every season. Damn...

Sceeto and hugoguzman like this.
  40. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    I honestly can't answer this question before free agency and the draft. Not just for Miami, but what if a few of those "tough" teams get weaker in the offseason? You know at least 2-3 of them will.

On paper right now I see a ton of young players who have the potential to break out, too.