1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who Is Better Than Us In FA & The Draft?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MaddMatt, Dec 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    In the past two off seasons, I believe we have done better than any other team in our acquisitions in FA and the draft.

In FA, we have Starks, Grove, Wake, Polite, Smiley, Bess, Penny, re-signs in Carey, Ricky, Bell, and assorted others. Show me another team, regardless of price, who has done as well?

In the draft, we have Long, Henne, Langford, Merling, Thomas, Davis, Smith, Hartline, Hilliard, Gardner, and assorted others. I know it's too early to know how all the young guys will turn out. However, tell me of another team's draft (over 2 years) you would trade ours for, based on what you have seen so far?

Sure, we all want a #1 WR, a couple of #1 LBs, etc. No other teams, in the NFL, want these type players. Fascinating that we have not picked them up. Hell, we have had two frakin years. :)

Bottom line. Show me teams who have done better? I know of no one.

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

like you said it's hard to say without looking at them a few years down the line.

i like who we've drafted for the most part and the FA/trades were paying off in dividends until Penny / Ferg / Grove got hurt

3. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Of course we are the best. How else do you go from 1-15 under the previous staff to 16-11 under this staff? All hail Parcells and his loyal servants.

4. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    The New York Knicks.

5. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Off the top of my head, I would say the Saints have done pretty well with the signings of Darren Sharper, Devery Henderson, Lance Moore, Jonathan Wilma and the drafting of Meachem (he maybe 2007), Malcolm Jenkins, Tracy Porter, Carl Nicks, Sedrick Ellis. I'm not a Saint's fan so there may be others. My guess is that if you look at the teams that are at the top or have had big turn arounds, like Miami, you'll find teams that have done well in FA and the draft the last two or three years.

Bpk and miamiron like this.
  6. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    Agree on the Saints, and a friend also mentioned Minne. The difference is that both had VG surrounding talent, making it much easier for a new guy to fit in.

We are going trial by fire. From what I have seen to date, I do not see anyone who has done better. That may change, for the better or worse.

For now, I put us on top.

Bpk likes this.
  7. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    In all due respect to your name, I am now TOSSing my breakfast. JK/LOL

8. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't know that I'd call the Saint's talent VG. Brees certainly is, but their defense probably has less talent than ours. They've just really benefited from the synergy of a high scoring offense and a ball hawk S.

As for putting us on top, I can't argue with that. It has been a very big turnabout.

Bpk likes this.
  9. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    You need to do a bit of research and/or reading of my post. Fasano and Ayodele were traded. Polite and Grove are having Pro Bowl years. Does that count?

10. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    I should have added stability to talent. NO adds in a long time vet to fit in with Sharper. We have three guys, two rookies, in the trial by fire for DBs. Same on all.

11. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Aqua you're slacking a bit.

Fasano and Ayodele were aquired via trade as mentioned. Smiley has been great, other than injured of course. Polite, Bess (if you count UDFA), Pennington, Grove. All solid contributing players now or at some point.

Wilford was the only real bust I can think of. Even Gibril is playing better now.

Bpk likes this.
  12. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    Agreed. Wilson has been better every week. Ya know how hard it is to have three new starters at DB, with two of them being rookies?

Howzabout Wake for next to nothing money wise? Grove and Polite are much better than solid. JMO

Alex44 likes this.
  13. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    My post should probably read at least solid. :up:

14. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Serious? I am not impressed with our drafting and FA moves. Weve made some good ones, but some boneheaded ones too.

Jake Grove takes the cake. Sign a guy who has only finished one season without being injured. The guy missed 4 games last year starting with the game they played us. It's still early, but in a 3 year plan we've almost completed two and yet we have still so many holes. WE doubled up on WRs yet that's our weakest department. I'll leave ILB/OLB out since we haven't doubled on that yet. We're weak at TE. If we don't resign Ronnie who do we have there, even though we used two picks last year? I don't think we're horrible, but no way I can say we are one of the best the past two years.

But it all starts with QB. Get that right and you have a good solid foundation. Jury is still out on Henne. He's played well at times, the game winning drives are very encouraging.

15. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    This post does not make sense to me.We are a 5-6 team that lost to one of the worst teams in the nfl last week and are about to go 5-7.I thought this team was going to compete for the superbowl next year but i do not think we are any closer now than when we lost to the ravens in playoffs .
    Holes to fill,nt,Ilbs,olbs,wr,real free safety,te,add running back to the list ronnie is not exacly mister durable himself.
    No more stupid picks on gimmick players like pat white please.We need playmakers!

16. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida

We're a hell of a better team than last year. With this schedule I don't think we'd be better than 2-9 right now honestly. As far as about to be 5-7 that is stupid to say. We havent even played the game yet.

17. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Wow, because we almost beat the colts and the saints.Get your head out of your a"".Bad teams find a way to lose, we are a bad team.I am just honest enought to admit it.
    I drove 7 hours last week to watch them lose to one of the worst teams in the league when they had to win.Regardless of the schedule the defence has taken a huge step back this year.

18. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Berger and Gardner?

19. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Gonna re-post this. I did a run-down this thread topic already....

20. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Nice breakdown,It looks ok but i would hardly say it is the best in the league.The bottom line is we are 5-6 with a tough road ahead of us.