1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who is the BPA?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finole, Apr 4, 2008.

BPA?

1. Darren McFadden

7 vote(s)
    8.5%
  2. Matt Ryan

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  3. Vernon Gholston

5 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. Chris Long

29 vote(s)
    35.4%
  5. Ryan Clady

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Jake Long

9 vote(s)
    11.0%
  7. Glenn Dorsey

26 vote(s)
    31.7%
  8. Sedrick Ellis

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Finole

Finole Season Ticket Holder

Dec 5, 2007
    I recently read an article that said there is no clear cut #1 overall prospect in this year's draft. Basically it's an 8-man race with a couple of darkhorses. So I wanted to take the pulse of "ThePhins" to find out which of the 8 was considered the best player.

This is not the guy you think the Fins should draft.

Not the guy you think the Fins will draft.

I want you to vote for the BPA. The player that you think is the best. Most talented. Most potential. Most likely to go to multiple Pro Bowls and possibly even end up in the Hall of Fame.

And then give us your reasons why you think so.

2. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Glenn Dorsey...

3. Idahophin

Idahophin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Snake River Plain
    I voted for G. Dorsey, but I wouldn't be unhappy if we took C. Long.

4. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Always nice to see consensus, hm?

:up:

5. sgtphin

sgtphin Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    Clay City, Indiana
    I went with C. Long, by tie-breaker. Both CL and Dorsey are worthy of BPA in my consideration, because they are both premium players at their positions, without equal in this draft.

The tie-breaker was that I believe CL would be more valuable to us in his flexbility. Realistically, CL can be used in more positions, effectively, on our Defense than Dorsey. Dorsey could be used anywhere on the front line of the defense, be it DE (either in a 3-4 or 4-3) or as a DT/ NT. CL can be used as a DE in both configurations and as any of 5 LB positions, SOLB,LILB,RILB,WOLB or as the SOLB,MB,WOLB.

Therefore, I gave CL a slight advantage in value to our team, thus, he's my guy.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  6. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I also said Chris Long...He has fewer negatives at this level and looks to be a long-time stalwart on someone's D. He's flexible enough to play in different defensive schemes as well. I don't see a better option for #1 overall.

It's very close though. I think Dorsey and Jake will also be stalwarts somewhere, but they seem to have some negatives that prohibit their effectiveness in certain schemes in which they don't fit very well...

7. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    it would be interesting to see if you had phrased that who will be the best pro in three years instead of who is bpa now. I wonder if anyone would change their mind. I doubt anyone here would go with Ryan but maybe Gholston and Clady would get more votes. Personally I think Derrick Harvey is going to be average his first year in the pros but will be an absolute beast in three yearsn once he learns better technique

8. Finole

Finole Season Ticket Holder

Dec 5, 2007
    To be fair, I did ask who has the most "potential." Potential being one of several criteria I would consider.

9. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    I went with Glenn Dorsey. Guy is a monster and I can see him doing very well at the next level if health issues dont nag him.

10. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    i'm torn between the two longs and dorsey... i think all are equally impressive in talent, but when you start asking who will have the biggest impact at the next level, this is the part where we could argue all day.

I think Chris is an amazing athlete, but his size worries me. I just think he'd get manhandled as a rusher against the huge tackles in the league, and i'm not sold that his "coverage" skills would be THAT great as a pure LB... so while i don't deny his talent, i don't know exactly HOW effective he'll be at the next level.

Dorsey is a monster who was a man amongst boys at the collegiate level, but in the pros he'll face bigger guys who have better technique than the comparatively wimpy lines he faced in the SEC... so he won't be beating double-teams in the pros, although i do think he'll win a lot of the individual battles at the line. Will he be the next Warren Sapp? Strong chance...

Jake Long - no Joe Thomas, but clearly the best OL coming out this year. Where will he play? that seems to be the biggest question. BUT, what works to his advantage here is how hard it is to find GOOD O-linemen... so any talent at all here would automatically seem to put him a step or two above the other players.

i dunno, its all fun speculation at this point.

11. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Ditto that. I voted for Dorsey as well. The next Warren Sapp.

12. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Good post. BTW - any word on when the schedule is released? I want to see who wins your contest.

13. JCowScot

JCowScot So funky the dead dance

Mar 22, 2008
    FLA USA
    I voted, like half of everyone who has posted, for Dorsey. I simply think he is the most talented player in this draft and has the most potential, barring injuries. However, how many times do you hear someone talking about an NFL game-changing DT? Not many- because of the nature of the position and the current style of play. I don't know that Dorsey can change that, but he certainly has the ability to be more than a "space-eater". In three years, he could be the most feared DT in the league- or he could be just another guy. But the potential to be the best at his position in the NFL is there, and that's why I chose him.

14. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

you smile Travis, because you know you are about to do no wrong... I'll be happy with the one you don't want.

Swampfox, Jed and azfinfanmang like this.
  15. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Bingo!

16. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That's too bad. I would guess it would come out next week since they originally said April 3rd I believe.

17. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Nope. I disagree.

Dorsey will be the next..well Dorsey. I think he has ALL the tools that Sapp had and so much more. In 5 years, this kid WILL be the posterchild for what a defensive lineman should be...and his character waaaayyyyy outshadows Sapp at this juncture.

Although I also think both Long's will be very good players, each in his own aspect, I dont think either are in the same class as Dorsey..and I dont think many have ever been..:wink2:

Jed and cnc66 like this.
  18. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I feel it's Glen Dorsey and yes he will be the next coming of Sapp and then some. He will be better than Warren. Having said that I want us to take Jake Long.

19. quelonio

quelonio Season Ticket Holder

Nov 27, 2007
    I am going to be so happy if we draft him. As a matter of fact the only way I will be happy is if we draft him, the only one i can kind of feel good for after him is Jake Long... Chris Long to me feels like one of those guys who is getting a bit of an overhype due to his family lineage.

20. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Punter Durant Brooks. One of the best prospects to come out of college in quite some time. Could go as high as 3rd round. Downed almost half his punts the last two years inside the twenty

JCowScot likes this.
  21. Jed

Jed Ryan to Wallace!

Jan 3, 2008
    NY
    I agree with all who have Dorsey. He will be the next, well, there hasn't been one of him before, so he will be the next Glenn Dorsey. I can't wait to see teams try to run against us with him in the middle...

I hope we take him...

22. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    I went with Chris Long

23. JCowScot

JCowScot So funky the dead dance

Mar 22, 2008
    FLA USA
    It's about time somebody gave a kicker some love!!:bighug:

*Note: JCow was a kicker in HS to get out of OL duty. (He weighed 160.):sad:

adamprez2003 likes this.
  24. Swampfox

Swampfox Season Ticket Holder

Nov 27, 2007
    Chris Long with Dorsey as a close second

25. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

long may win in the category of "Best Non-Runningback Ready to Contribute Right Away", but his upside is not as big as Dorsey's.

Bpk

26. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Had to stick with Jake Long, he isn't sexy, and some question (OK many) whether he can play LT in this league, but I see him as a physical beast, very capable of playing LT as he grows even stronger and quicker as the NFL training is likely to do for him.

I am a little biased toward OL because I see it as such a huge need, but I really see JL as the strongest physical specimen with great attitude and serious drive, in this draft.

27. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    :hi5:

JCowScot likes this.
  28. DeDolfan

DeDolfan Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Rehoboth Beach
    McFadden is clearly the BPA but not likely the 1st overall pick by a long shot.

29. Marino1983

Marino1983 Junior Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Offensively - D McFadden..
    The main problem with McFadden is that he needs to prove that he is an every down back along with his off the field issues..
    This guy is just not worth the signing bonus the first overall pick will receive this draft!

Defensively - C Long without a doubt!
    Long has a non-stop motor that with his athleticism and tenacious mean streak he should instantly improve this defense beyond any of the so-called experts imaginations..
    :yes:

Marino1983

30. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Agreed. Add the fact that the best part of his game is running wide around the corner, something that is very difficult to do in the NFL and he's very limited in how effective he can be. A 15 touch back IMO