1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who wants to step up...

Discussion in '2013 GM League Forum' started by Boik14, Jan 24, 2014.

1. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I hope he awards you your last pick just for being an *** kisser. Everyone knows Paul is uglier than a Ray Charles painting.

Paul 13 and Fin-Omenal like this.
  2. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    My only concern with your trade idea is that if you give people time to renege on a deal someone will inevitably will. And then if one team has made other moves based on that one that can screw them up or worse yet make all their other trades non cap compliant which would void them. IMO if a trade is agreed upon, it gets done immediately to avoid this type of situation because I dont see any other way to avoid that type of situation.
    I think FA and trades have to be available at the same time. What happens if the price tags in FA go so high I dont like that option? I might now be willing to move the pick or player I wasnt willing to move before.

ToddPhin likes this.
  3. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I agree with this. Also if a team wants to dump all their cap space and count on winning in free agency that is on them. It doesn't seem exactly fair to a team like the Jags who have a slated 52 million in cap room already (per what I've read I could be wrong).

Boik14 likes this.
  4. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Are their dead money penalties for cutting guys?

5. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    There never have been before, would be fun but probably a lot harder to keeptrack of.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  6. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    So I can cut Joe Thomas with no repercussions, nice.

7. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    With the way most teams are right now...with cap penalties it would take half the teams out of being able to do anything. There was talk of doing a percentage at one point but I like it the way it is currently. That way your not trying to figure carry over caps etc.

By the way I have to question the validity of using other teams message boards to get ideas on your teams. Especially when the Houston Texan boards are in favor of trading a 4th round pick for J. Mart. I had to laugh so hard at that.

Fin-Omenal and Boik14 like this.
  8. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    You can do whatever you want with him after I trade him to you.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  9. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    So ummm.... does 2013's leftover cap carry over? :shifty:
    Somebody's gotta ask you, right Paul.

10. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    If you choose to negotiate trades before the trade window, that's on you. Proceed at your own risk. Although I'm adjusting to what I said earlier... the trade window will open at least a week (maybe two) before the start of free agency.

11. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    you already asked me that, and I already answered no.

12. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    no. Dead money is not in play here.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  13. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    your lips said no but your body was saying yes.

14. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    There are a couple of ideas I have in respect to free agency. I'll listen to any and all feedback. These are very much in the early stages in my mind as I'm thinking thru them as I type this out.

One is contract restructures. I'm thinking of giving teams the option to restructure ONE contract on their roster. The restructure would cut in half the player's cap charge. However, and this is the part where you need to pay attention, that GM would lose one of their free agency bid slots for a to be decided amount of time (could be 72 hours at least). I'm not sure how many total free agency bids I'm going to dole out yet either, normally it's been five but I might lower or raise it depending on how frisky I'm feeling. You could only restructure players on your beginning roster (not traded for players) and you would NOT be able to trade that player once they have restructured. The restructure would have to be made before the start of free agency.

Second idea is the ability for a GM to resign a particular player. My first idea above is probably not going to be implemented. But this one, I'm definitely leaning towards as it makes the process more realistic. The specifics is what I need to work thru. So the following is just a theory....The process would take place before the start of free agency, over the course of a day or so. You would list the players you are planning to resign (# of players is to be decided, but I would doubt it would be more than 3). And a $ amount on that player. Then an opposing team makes a bid to me, privately, the bid has to be higher (standard free agency rules apply) for that player to NOT resign with their original team. The bidding team also must be able to sign the player under their available cap space. Bidding teams would get the same amount of bids as the original teams (3 for example). So, if a player you list doesn't get bid on by an opposing team, you keep that player (or players) for whatever $ amount you listed. But, if you are outbid by your opponent, that player would head to free agency, where he can be bid on by any team, original team included. Yes, I'm aware since the bidding is silent, that multiple teams are going to bid on the same player. But that would mean someone is going to free up and resign with their original team. The catch, you won't know who has been bid on until the re sign period is over. You won't be able to tender a tag (UFA or RFA) on a particular player that you have listed in this process and were not fortunate enough to resign. Risk reward.

15. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Regarding paragraph 2, will this hypothetically pertain to just one player per team or as many FAs as we want? Personally I think it'd be better with just 1 if you decide to do it. Otherwise, the actual FA pool will look like the line to get into Boik's bedroom, which would be boring and make for a short, crappy FA period.

16. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Yah. Not so sure I like idea #2. (Not to mention the extra workload on you). Although I do agree it's unfair to those with a tonne of free agents to have to let them go to FA. If anyone comes up with an idea on how to at least sign back one of your guys pre-FA lets hear it.

Idea #1 I like but it's a huge thing your giving. If you were to stick with 5 per se I would go so far as removing all but 2 slots those first 72 hours in FA. After all that cap savings could easily reach $10 million in cap space. You have to give up something significant for that.

Or slot it based on cap savings. Highest - Anything $7 million +, Medium $3-$6.999 and lowest being $2.999 and under.

Boik14 likes this.
  17. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I don't like thr idea that doneonr can cut the the cap hit of their franchise QB in half I will say that.

Its up you when to start trades/FA but from my past experience I'd say three weeks to a month is better. People have work schedules and while two weeks sounds like a lot, it really isn't when you're trying to flag guys down off work.

Also some teams will start over the cap, and they should be given time to see if they can trade high cap numbers before being forced to release them. If they go into FA and trades over, they have no choice but to dump them for nothing if they want to bid on anyone

Boik14 likes this.
  18. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I would definitely reconsider this. It has disaster written on it.

19. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Very true :lol:

ToddPhin likes this.
  20. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Ehhh.. I was on the wrong end of that before. I lived.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

21. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Why repeat failed history?

22. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I guess the question is, does it happen enough to be an issue???

Dunno

23. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Right but it really restricts what you can do that is more the problem. Ehat if into free agency someone offers me a great deal for a LT but I can't do it because my main FA target is gone at that position?

Another consideration is that people may rush and take the first deal they see because they are afraid to miss out on a FA?

We need to be able to trade 2-4 weeks before FA. But obviously either way I'm here and going to play by all the rules.

The best option IMO is when we have the spots filled, to open a 24 hour poll for the GMs. That way we can decide based on what everyone wants.

Boik14 likes this.
  24. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Yes. When I played a few years back I had 5-10 people go back on trades last minute

Boik14 likes this.
  25. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    That's alot.

26. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I had completely forgotten that we had that scenario. I think that was my 1st year in the league in 2009.

27. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    If it happens once and messes up one teams plans and experience its too much imo. Youre talking about a game we play. Theres no reason we should have to wait on trades when trading in the real NFL is done after the season ends and teams are allowed to execute said deals at that time. Id rather have a few lulls in the process then try and fix something that isnt broken.

28. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    It was crazy and REALLY screwed up my final roster, I was supposed to end up with some really great pieces but mostly ended up with a second rate team :lol:

29. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Boik can relate. ..

30. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I hear ya... best case scenario on the timing right now, it depends on when the league fills... lets say best case it fills by this Friday. The following week we have the coach bidding process. That Sunday is February the 9th. I want FA to start around March 1st. If rosters are posted Feb the 9th and the trade window immediately opens that same day, you've all got just less than three weeks to do what you have to do before the start of free agency. Now, that's best case scenario.

31. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I dont think any team Ive taken over has been in worse shape then when I got it. So 2nd rate...not this guy. :P

Im ok with the timeline. The thing that has disaster on it is a trade moratorium where trades are basically in limbo waiting to be accepted. Do. Not. Like.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  32. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    As long as we can start it two weeks ahead it shouldn't be a problem. More would be nice but I'd honesy suggest pushing FA back 3-4 days if needed.

33. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    14 down 18 to go

Has anyone sent out PMs to those who participated last year? The sooner we fill this the better.

34. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Im assuming some like GIK, Mach, Bdogtitan may not participate since I think Mach is running something like this on his board. There are a few (at least 2-3) others that imo are so inactive probably shouldnt be in it.

35. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    What if we do team selections with what we have [after giving the list a little more time to expend]..... and then whatever teams are remaining, go to their message boards and recruit 1 fan each to run their respective team?

36. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Fine but Id give our guys first dibs before we consider that

37. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Also it might help to make a 2014 forum. A lot of people probably overlook this because it is last year. I found it on accident personally since I knew it had to be around this time.

Ill put a link to the team selection thread in my signature after work.

Boik14 likes this.
  38. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Its been mentioned already....just waiting on the powers that be.

Paul 13 likes this.
  39. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    that's why I said to do our selections and then outsource the remaining to fans of those teams. That way, rather than begging someone here who might not be active and might not even like the team he has, we'd have GMs who should love working with their teams b/c it's the team they root for. Would be like each of us getting the Dolphins.

40. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    you mean like a Chief Moderator? :shifty: ............ or have you been Stephen Ross'd?

Boik14 likes this.