1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who Will / Should Win the Backup RB Spot (from the roster now)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Mar 18, 2013.

Who From The Roster Should / Will Be The Backup RB?

1. Daniel Thomas

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Marcus Thigpen

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. Jonas Gray

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Daniel Thomas, incumbent backup. Would be great if he played to his size - as a power back. Can't stand him. I fear we will waste another year with this kid as backup before he is cut.

Marcus Thigpen - decent KR. Relatively fast but small at 193. Not much of a contrast.

Jonas Gray - really was not physically ready to compete last year.

From PFW:

Watching him in college - I like him better than Thomas

2. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I think it will be someone else not on the roster, I think you may see us sign a vet now that all this Long garbage is over and I could see us drafting another guy. I don't have faith in Thomas staying healthy, and Gray is still a question mark (I did like him in college).
    Thigpen I think you will see in the slot more, but not carrying the ball.

3. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Ahmad Bradshaw :shifty:

4. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Probably a MUCH more important question, who will be our primary back. I don't think that guy is currently on the roster

WhiteIbanez likes this.
  5. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I disagree, Kenny. Lamar Miller will open some eyes this year, mark my words. :yes:

ATLFINFAN and azfinfanmang like this.
  6. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    I don't see it. I will buy you a beer if he does :ffic:

In fact, I will buy you two if he makes it an entire year if given the majority of snaps :up:

SICK likes this.
  7. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

I both agree and disagree.

I think we'll platoon the position between Lamar and a draft pick.

I like Montee Ball, but it's anyone's guess who it will be. If they go through free agency, I like the idea of taking a flier on Peyton Hillis.

If we don't address the position (I think we will), I like Daniel Thomas' odds.

8. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Reminder:

[video=youtube;8MJOq1SdBcc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MJOq1SdBcc[/video]
    [video=youtube;83wet2qcq4E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83wet2qcq4E[/video]

When the season starts he'll be 21 months removed from his ACL injury. If this guy were a healthy participant in this year's Draft, where would you draft him? I think he compares a lot with Christine Michael but without the attitude concerns.

Da 'Fins, Steve-Mo and azfinfanmang like this.
  9. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    I've always like Montee Ball's game, and I think he would be a PERFECT fit for what they want to do on offense, but realistically, we would have to take him with our 2nd cause he won't last till our 3rd.

I think we do have an extra 2nd this year? That might be an ideal to take him actually depending on where it is.

Lamar neither fits what they probably want to do primarily on offense, neither has he shown any real durability. His past injuries always have to be a concern. Other than that, sure, he is very very athletic and makes nice plays.

10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Not a huge fan of Montee Ball.

11. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    I wouldn't mind Marcus Lattimore. I'll go with Jonas Gray from that list.

12. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Yep, if he is back 100%, and from an ACL that is not uncommon, he could very well earn the spot.

Agreed on the comparison except I also think that Gray is a better all around back than Michael. I am honestly not aware of attitude concerns, but then again, I am surrounded by blinded Aggie fans...so it's all about perspective.

13. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

He's a hell of a player, but according to Mort, he's likely to miss this year.

He could be a 7th rounder/UDFA, and at that price, you'd have to be insane not to gamble and stash him on IR...but we need someone for this year, too. I feel like we're entering contention, and RB performance and depth is paramount.

14. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That's the big drawback with Michael. He landed in the coaches' doghouse for a reason. They benched him in favor of Ben Malena, who is not as talented a tailback and I think the coaches know that. Michael gave a little bit of a hint at what the Aggie coaches didn't like about him when at the Combine he overslept and missed his meetings with multiple teams.

15. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think a lot of people are projecting him to go higher than that, as an investment. He might have been legitimately the best back in this Draft if not for the injury. Though, I have a lot of respect for Eddie Lacy and Giovanni Bernard.

16. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Why not?

17. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I've done some work on the tailbacks about two months ago but they've gone on the back burner in favor of some other positions, so obviously I need a refresher course on all of these guys. But when I DID look at him, he looked a little too "big/slow" as opposed to "big/explosive".

azfinfanmang likes this.
  18. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Ron Dayne instead of Jerome Bettis? Of course, the Ron Dayne pops in my mind.

I see him as being a big punisher with very very good vision. Of course, you can get by with less explosion in College.

19. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

I'm just going by the news and mock drafts out there, in regards to Lattimore's draft status.

Had he never been injured, I think he'd go in the top 15, but he did, and it was bad.

There was a concern that he might never play again, and still today, it's fair to wonder if he'll be remotely effective in terms of speed and power. Considering the late round RB gems that emerge every year, it's really tough to spend higher than a 6th on a guy that may never play. Last year, for example, Alfred Morris and Bryce Brown were drafted in the 6th and 7th rounds, respectively... not to mention our own Jonas Gray was an UDFA. Also Chris Polk was an UDFA last year, but he didn't really do anything.

20. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    If you want a late round, criminally underrated tailback in this Draft then you take Dennis Johnson of Arkansas.

Larry Little likes this.
  21. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    QB is the last position we should spend anything higher than a 5th round pick on....RB is second to last.

We'll be fine with Miller, Gray, Thomas & Thigpen.

22. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I wouldn't draft the kid in any round, good person, but the injury imo was too much trauma, ive seen him in his rehab assignment, the area doesn't look good to me, the atrophy is really bad, the structure imo will not be stable, the kid will never be the same..it's an uneducated opinion because I'm not close to the situation, but from what I saw recently, that kid is far far away..I hope he proves me wrong, but he's completely off the board,

23. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I like the Johnson kid out of Arkansas as a rookie possibility, but as far as the roster is concerned I look forward to seeing Gray in action.