1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whoever wished injury on Pennington...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Lt Dan, Sep 27, 2009.

1. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    :pity::pity::pity::pity:

He's a Miami Dolphin. And that's a lousy thing to say no matter what you think about our QB situation. I'm pretty disgusted with the whole mindset of this board that it took 2 pages and 12 hours for someone to call you out on it.

2socks, baboo72, SeanP and 1 other person like this.
  2. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    lousy no.
    Compared to how we look now, not even close.

3. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    well he was never going to look better than pennington if he never got on the field. you only learn by playing and not in preseason. noone could logically expect him to be given the job only if he was better than pennington. pennington has too much experience. henne needs experience. If henne plays out the season then by next year i expect him to be better than pennington was. he wont be as savvy but he will be more of an offensive threat. You've gotta be willing to take a step back to take two steps forward sometimes

Rhody Phins Fan and jetssuck like this.
  4. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    Why not? I expect us to play the best players. Shouldn't Henne have to earn the starting QB job, instead of it being handed to him?

Also Henne might be more of an offensive threat, but he is going to throw more picks and make more mistakes than Pennington. So it's great that he can throw a 40 yard pass on a rope, unless it's to the other team.

I have no problem with starting Henne over Pennington when we are mathmatically elminated from the playoffs.

5. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    was peyton manning the best qb on the roster when he started? no. was. eli manning better than kurt warner when he started? no. rookie and 2nd yr qbs are almost never the best starters on the roster. experience counts for alot and until we figure out a way to teach experience on the sidelines there is only one way to get it

Firesole and HardKoreXXX like this.
  6. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    That is fine if you have given up on the season and you want to wave the white flag, like the Colts and Giants with the Manning's that year. Fine.

But people have been calling for Henne to start over Pennington like that was going to give us a better chance to win THIS week. It's not. Pennington gives us the best chance to win this week.

Of course the future is someone else other than Pennington. Again once when we are eliminated from the playoffs then start Henne, but these people acting as if Henne RIGHT NOW is better than Pennington are delusional. They act as if Pennington is holding this offense back, and Henne is going to ride in on a white horse and turn the offense around. Not going to happen.. not this year at least.

We still have the same WR's playing like crap. We still have players other than the QB fumbling the ball. It's bigger than Pennington.

7. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    While I agree he's not going to come in all knight and shining armor and rescue us from a losing season, I do think he's going to give us certain things that we didn't have. We're going to have a different type of quarterback. Pennington for all we've seen is the short accurate thrower who outside of the norm, does not turn over the ball. Henne is the rocket arm who still needs to learn how to read the defense, but has the possibility of making some downfield plays with a quick flash release (Those passes were very noticeably faster).

Henne may not be a "better" QB than Pennington. But he is a different QB, and that might be part of what we need. Sure, we need a stronger WR corps (maybe just one "playmaker"), sure we need to revamp our secondary and overall pass defense.

However, all that being said, my opinion falls in line with the one that we need a deep threat. I don't care if we actually make the deep ball, but when the defense knows that we don't throw the ball more than the length of a first down often, they can stuff up Ronnie and Ricky far too often. After that completion to Ronnie I think a few teams are going to look out and at least prepare for our deep ball, and know that if they bring everyone up close, it COULD come back to bite them. At the end of the day just that threat will help this offense more than any playmaker could.

Whether we utilize Henne to his abilities or not remains to be seen.

Anyways, I kind of got off topic I think... I'm excited and nervous, just like everyone else, so deal :)

adamprez2003 likes this.
  8. Hexonx

Hexonx Active Member

Sep 24, 2009
    I think Peyton Manning was the best QB on the roster to be honest when he started, the Colt's were terrible :)

Eli sat his first year I thought or Kurt got hurt I don't remember exactly.

9. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i think most people wanting henne were willing to go backwards a bit to hopefully go forward. maybe its waving the white flag but considering that pennington got injured its more like here's your opportunity kid, run with it. For alot of QBs thats how they get their experience. they wait until an injury takes place. this way the coach doesnt get blamed by the fans for ruining a season. it takes a very secure coach to basically toss a season in favor of a rookie QB. Thats why when it happens its usually on teams that were horrible the year before. lowered expectations :lol:

jetssuck likes this.
  10. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    kurt stunk up the joint so they just figured what the hell might as well put the kid in. he did worse at first but by then the fans werent expecting anything

11. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    At 0-3 our chances of making the playoffs are extremely slim.

12. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    That statement has had little meaning this entire season....the offense had been most dominant when he was standing on the sideline and we were running the wildcat....the best thing that could happen to this team is that we never see Penny take another snap in a Dolphin uniform.

13. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    Completely true, but how are you going to ask your players to fight when they get behind on the scoreboard early, and yet you the coach are giving up on the season early by going into 'get the kid experience' mode? It hard to ask that with a straight face and integrity.

14. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    So which game, that we lost, do you feel like Henne would have won for us if he had played?

15. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    As a player, and a coach, and for that matter even a fan you have to go out there and play/coach/root your team on like its the Superbowl, anything less and you aren't living up to your end of the bargain.

I don't care if we're 1-14 with the last game of the season to go, I am still going to root for my phins. And if I'm a player, I'm still going to put my body on the line for a win. This team, and fanbase has been too demoralized over the years, and while I know its hard to keep the faith, a lot of people (not saying here, just people in general) have forgotten what it is to be a fan.

We've been through much worse situations than we're in now. So have the players. The season isn't over until there is no chance to get into the playoffs, or we've been bumped out of the playoffs. Statistics and odds are only for making an educated guess. At the end of the day events that have even a .0001% chance of happening CAN happen.

I'm not saying get your expectations up, but all over the internet there's articles about Dolphins fans giving up hope. I'm just saying, don't be "that guy" is all

dolphindebby likes this.
  16. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Not really.

17. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Not the point....I'm looking at the big picture.

Penny was doing nothing more than standing in the way of progress, stunting the growth of our rebuilding process. A process that requires getting Henne in there to get some game experience.

Regardless of whether Penny got hurt or not, it was time for him to step down. He was leading us no where this year and we needed to get back to rebuild mode and quit worrying about defending a division title.

If Henne isn't the answer then at least we'll know by the end of the year and we can keep looking

18. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Well then please explain....tell us what he was doing this season that would make you ever want him back out there?

19. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    He wasn't playing as bad as you make it sound. And, I'm not so sure how Henne is going to play this season. With Pennington, we know we have a QB who can put his team in position to win a majority of the time.

20. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    The fact is, he looked terribly inadequate against good competition. It's amazing that we have been able to run the football with him at QB thus far...

In hindsight you will see that he was nothing more than a journeyman, stop-gap QB, whose success last year had more to do with a soft schedule, the wildcat and a surprising performance from the defense, than it did with his talent as a QB.

21. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    He's been to the postseason four times. I suppose it was a soft schedule every time. He was a good kicker away from an AFC Championship appearance. That must have also been due to a soft schedule. The biggest knock on him will always be that he was fragile, but he is better than a journeyman. The numbers and win totals support that.

dolphindebby, mbmonk and Anonymous like this.
  22. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    There is no guarantee that Henne plays well enough to make us forget about Pennington. Fact is, he gave us a good chance to win everytime he played. That's what's important.

And he's not a journeyman QB.

dolphindebby likes this.
  23. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Well you're entitled to your opinion.....mine is that he gave us little chance to win against anyone but the bottom tier teams and yes, if he continues to play, his time with the Fins will be considered the first part of the "Journeyman" part of his career.

Regardless of how Henne plays, for many of us, Penny is easily forgotten. He was never taking us to a SB and was never part of the big picture.........he was a stop-gap, nothing more.

24. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Well that and good defenses smother him alive

25. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    So two teams makes you a journeyman? Jeff Garcia is a journeyman. Not Chad Pennington.

dolphindebby and Anonymous like this.
  26. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    If he was a bad QB, then I understand calling him a Journeyman. But he's not a bad QB. He's a good QB, therefore, he's not a Journeyman.

dolphindebby likes this.
  27. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Being a journeyman doesn't mean he is/was a bad QB. He's just not the answer if you really want to be a true contender.

And if you don't believe that last statement then you'll find yourself in the vast minority.

He was brought here to be a stop gap. He had a decent season and a lot of things went our way last year, resulting in a division title. That title seems to have fooled a lot of our fans into believing he made us a real contender. In reality, he finished the same way he came in.....as a stop gap.

28. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Not prior to playing for us he wasn't.....and unless he retires, history will show that his career as a journeyman, started with playing for the Fins.

29. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Stop gap, I agree with. Perfect way to describe what Chad Pennington was for us. Journeyman, though, is not a good term to describe Pennington. A journeyman is a player who is not very good, and has bounced around the league. Hence, JOURNEYman. This Pennington's second team. The last thing he is is a Journeyman.

30. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Steve DeBerg was the consummate journeyman. And IMO, a more talented player than Penny...

Again not saying he has always been a journeyman, but if he continues to play.....he started being a journeyman, the day he signed with Miami.

Unless he retires, you'll see what I'm saying in a couple years.

31. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Chad Pennington is better than Steve DeBerg. You may think he's more talented, but stats say Pennington is better. And by looking at the stats, I can see why he was a journeyman. He wasn't very good.

32. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I agree

33. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    wow....I am shocked at your comment.

I really respected you as a poster here....but man that's over the line

:pity::pity:

34. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Just as your not going to change your mind, it goes both ways. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I for one was willing to give him a chance this year, and if you search back you will see I said this, but he is regressing, maybe he is pressing I don't know, but the last two weeks have not been good for him, and I think if you asked him he would agree. He was smacking the ground after the one miss.

Can he turn it around, yes and if he does I will admit I was wrong.

Maybe he needs to get back on kickoff duty, while I don't think he was great at it while doing it, he has seemed to lost a spark after he lost his return duties?

35. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    How was last week not good for him?

36. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    He was also a good kicker away from not making it past the first round that year (kaeding). Cuts both ways man. the biggest knock on him is a really big knock. How do you plan a franchise around someone who is around every other year? QB controversies every year. that's not good.

37. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    The same people that called for Penny's head will be the same to turn on Henne.

38. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Wrong. We will turn on the coaching staff first.

39. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Depends GISH, Sparano is still given the benefit of the doubt, the problem is 11-5 is 11-5 a step back is not going to be welcomed.

Personally I think we need to win that first game as 2007's 1-15 is not that long ago, 0-3 and even my memory is being stirred...

40. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    If he, like Penny, doesn't show that he's the QB we need to make us a legitimate contender......then why not call for his head? This season is now about getting a really good look at Henne.

The future of this franchise is more important than one faction hoping the other has to eat crow...