1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are they putting Pat White into games late in the 4th qtr?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Dec 25, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Alot has been said and written about Pat White, for myself I prefer to look at his play and make up my own mind about him.

The way Henning and Sparano are using Pat White has to be either the gutsiest or foolish that I've seen a backup Qb used, he came into the Titans game for the 2 pt conversion to tie the game...with 1:43 left in the game.

The radio announcers were moaning, Fouts and Engberg were moaning, even going so far as to say "he is checking his wrist band, he looks confused that is not a good sign"

White then hands off to Ricky W on the Jet Sweep and fakes a dive towards the endzone for the first successful two point conversion of the year.

They also put White into the Monday Night game with the Jets with 4 minutes left in the game and the Dolphins were behind in the score, why they do that I cannot imagine but it should be noted that White, by being placed in those situations, is gaining experience in playing during crunchtime football.

Game on the line, he has to make something happen, and not screw up in the process, and as of yet he has not muffed when it counted, quite the opposite he seems to do fairly well in those situations.

Themole and djphinfan like this.
  2. bluehaze

bluehaze New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Sparano said they have a list of plays for those situations that they practice all week and they have a priority system as far as success rate 1,2,3 etc... He said on the 2 pt play the #1 play was the Pat White handoff to Ricky. He said the defense was perfect for the play and they hadn't used it yet so they ran it and executed it just like they did in practice and got the points. He said if they had already used that play or if they felt it wouldn't work against whatever D Ten was in they would have gone to the #2 play and then the #3play etc... (I think he said there were only 3 plays? can't remember) until they found whatever gave them the best chance of success.

It seems to be a pretty good system, Though I have to admit I cringed and started screaming at my TV when I saw Pat White come in for that 2pt conversion LOL

2k5 likes this.
  3. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    it's good that he is gaining experience and maybe some confidence .... but he still has so far to go during this offseason. the good news is that we have a good OL - so it can afford bringing him along.

4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The problem with that theory is the Defense had not set up as of yet when White came into the game, it appeared to me that they planned to use White all along.

You were not alone, I generally like it when White makes it into the games, but then I noticed "1:43/4th qtr" and was a bit...surprised that White was out there as the WC Qb...

Surprised is a nice way of saying what I was thinking, season on the line, and there is White out there in the WC...Mr. Stomach was not happy at that moment...:D

5. bluehaze

bluehaze New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Yea I was wondering about that as well, maybe they would have called a TO if they didn't get the D they wanted? Maybe it's an audible system? Not sure, I think it was in the day after press conference where he said it but he didn't elaborate on it anymore than what I originally posted.

6. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think the coaching staff takes a degree of pleasure in ****ing with armchair OCs

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It's all fun and games until someone get's their eye knocked out..

Seriously though, I'm of the thought that this is a developmental tool, crunchtime and putting White out on the field to see how he performs, that sort of pressure cannot really be duplicated in practice.

8. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    padre31 likes this.
  9. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    I cringe and cuss every time he has come into a game. I must say he looks like a doe in the headlights(but has not failed yet). I hope he continues to have success.

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That is a decent enough article, especially the portion about White not only responsible for the WhiteCat, but also as the #2 Qb, a point many Dolphins fans just do not believe.

"If not here, than a few years down the road..."

Develop a young Qb prospect as a back up and trade bait down the road?

Why, that is like building Space Shuttles out of empty beer cans, it's absurd... :shifty:

CashInFist likes this.
  11. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Because someone is still trying to justify a very poor draft pick.

It really is pointless to insert White into games; he brings NO ONE THING to the field that one of the Offensive starters doesn't already bring - and better.

12. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    how many times have we talked about this
    if henne goes down thigpen will go in
    white offers absolutely nothing to the passing game
    he cant even complete a pass
    we would be so one dimensional we would be laughed at by the opposing defense
    you think we would just run white
    ridiculous that you dont see this
    even though white is listed as the #2 qb that would change quickly

13. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    putting white in any football game at any point is a joke
    they are just trying to justify their mistake with more mistakes

14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Of course, because Sparano is soo concerned about outside opinions, as is Dan Henning, it's not like they would just sit a 3rd Wr pick who they didn't think was up to snuff.

Er, wait a minute.

15. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia

With the AFC East Division Championship on the line the entire season, do you REALLY think Parcells/Sparano/Ireland are trying to lose by playing Pat White???

C'MON MAN!!! :lol:

GridIronKing34 and padre31 like this.
  16. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think its a good topic Padre..

Here's how i look at it...take for example the 2 point conversion..If they know there going to run the football in that type of situation, for one play, Pat white on the field actually makes the defense respect all elements of offense,Henne makes them respect the pass and run. Pat, regardless that he has not completed a pass, can throw the football {iam sure Pro Dcordinators know this},plus they have to respect him running the ball as well...It just makes the defense have to play honest ,because him being on the field involves more offensive scenarios for the D to deal with, giving the back that much more of advantage to convert......

padre31 likes this.
  17. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    There's a lot of space between what I said and the leap you're making to "TRYING TO LOSE."

You're the one making that leap in definition, not me.

And yes, I do think that Ireland might say to Sparano, "Yo, Tone...try to have Dan get White in whenever you can, willya? Do me that solid, my *** is on the line here." :lol:

padre31 likes this.
  18. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    One thing of note is that we deactivate Thigpen. Which means the earliest it could change would be the following week. White is the #2, he's not just listed as such. He is, as he is the only other option we have on game day.

Thigpen may well be better. But we won't ever know, as he is even activated for the game. If Henne has to use the bathroom, our fate rests in White's hands. No, matter what we believe, reality is that White is the #2 QB, he's not just listed there. The dynamics preclude that from happening, he will play Thigpen will sit, until at least the next week.

19. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    The emergency 3rd QB rule allows a team to dress a 3rd QB from it's inactive list. Thigpen, as the following link shows, is designated the emergency QB.

http://www.nfl.com/inactives?week=15

I can't speak to Thigpen being inserted over White in the case of the emergency, just that it's possible without Tyler having to be active on gameday.

20. Phinvader Bill

Phinvader Bill The all new Mr. Event

May 1, 2009
    Columbia, SC
    Not sure if this was shown on TV or not, but the second play following Hartline's catch was called for Pat White. Henne was already lined up, and they had to call him back to the sideline. He went back, with his arms stretched out, seemed to be saying WTF???

Pat White then picks up his 1 yard, then they put Henne back in to score the TD. Me and every Dolphins fan around me pretty much thought the game was over when we saw White for the 2 point conversion.

21. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    I doubt that Henne is on board with White coming into the game taking away from his playing time...

Henne is just saying what everyone want's to hear.
    Henne has shown us that he does have that fire and desire and I want my QB to want to be out there in crunch time
    and NOT say,"Yeah, it's ok if a rookie comes in and take snaps away from me...better yet come in when it's a crucial time and we are in the red zone...TOTAL BS

Can you imagine Marino being OK coming off the field
    for a rookie in those game time situations...hell to the NO

CAN YOU IMAGINE A COACH PULLING MARINO IN SUCH A SITUATION...NEVER/EVER

Let's get away from this Pat White crap and get back to showing confidence in Henne in any situation

Phinvader Bill likes this.
  22. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    White potentially presents a tremendous option to our offense
    & this is the time to play him
    (Thigpen will eventually be the backup of choice for the conventional offense)
    Pat White will do what he does best, he'll run the SingleWing & SpreadOffense

wouldn't be too quick to sell White down the river, extremely talented
    he has an excellent arm
    (can make all the passes necessary to compete in the NFL)
    has the running ability of a tailback
    & is competent & well versed in the unconventional offense
    this is his rookie year & needs time to develop to NFL standards

23. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Yes, based on the fact that they've got a tremendous track record of throwing players out on the field just to help justify the resources they spent for them... Like Ernest Wilford and Patrick Turner.

GridIronKing34 and CashInFist like this.
  24. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Jeff Ireland's *** is not in any sense on the line.

25. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Who gives a rats *** what Henne thinks?

His job is to throw the ball. Not get advice, or opinions, or anything like that. I don't care if it was Dan Marino here, he should be shutting the **** up and throwing the ball, and whatever Pat White or Ronnie Brown going on is not his business.

26. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    Total crap...
    It comes down to
    Who would you want on the field during crunch time
    Pat White or Chad Henne...if you pick White you have less football knowledge than even I thought

27. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Well our two point conversion with White was a lot more successful than our attempt with Henne.

The fact is, the staff has put him in crunch time situations and he's responded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I want whoever the coaches think gives them the best chance to have a successful play in the current situation.

Sorry but I don't look at players in a vaccuum the way you do.

29. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    So you wanted Ricky Williams to throw a HB pass out of the WildCat at the goalline against Buffalo costing us 7 points. (we were running at 6 ypc that drive too).

Coaches don't always make the best decisions and the coaches this year, particularly Henning, has proven to have gotten way to cute when it was absolutely unnecessary. (another example: end around the Bess against Jax)

30. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    That's tremendously arrogant with absolutely nothing factually to back it up with. Do you have any idea what the scoring rate is on drives White comes in on?

31. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Except I don't believe having Pat White in the game is a negative. I do believe having Ricky throw is a negative however.

I don't mean I will follow without question, however when I dont see a player being used as a drawback, I wont mind him being on the field.