1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Aren't We Talking About This Kid? - Jordan Reed, TE Florida

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Bpk, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Watched a few games and this kid has dynamic athleticism. Below average blocker, but still better than Egnew by a stretch. Once this kid runs and does drills at the combine, prepare to start hearing the buzz about his name.

Jordan Reed TE, Florida (Games Watched, 2012 - TAMU, Georgia, South Carolina)
    - Dynamic
    - Good hands
    - Gets in the endzone and looks comfortable catching the ball there
    - lose at POE due to footwork and lack of strength and size
    - misses some blocks on lighter, niftier guys
    - yet a better blocker than Egnew, experience as inline blocker (attention Jeff ireland, if you are going to take an amazing receiving TE and athlete, make sure he doesn't come from a program where he NEVER INLINE BLOCKS, like Egnew did)
    - I LOVE how this kid moves. VERY fluid. Jesus he looks like a receiver with his body language in routes and after the catch
    - great RAC ability
    - great feet serve him well in pass pro
    - does fairly well against Damontre Moore. Moore does not get push on him, or dominate him, but is just in Damontre's way enough to slow him down and have him behind the play. That's a first round DE we are talking about. That said, it highlights CK's point that Moore is not as good or as strong as he should be. But what it tells me is that Jordan Reed, as he gains size and strength, will not be overmatched at the next level. I feel like I am looking as Owen Daniels with more fluidity and athleticism. His 4.65 40 time is comparable to Daniels 4.68... I want to know his measurements though. College reports have Reed in the 220's while ESPN has him in the 240's. Big difference. Is someone inflating his numbers, like with Jason Taylor? At 6'3" 245 this is a kid I love. At 6-3 225 I have some concerns.
    - against Georgia, some blocking struggles, lunging at his men, getting there late it bad footwork and poor leverage
    - blocking hurt them in the run game. Once he misses an angle drive block, yanked off balance another time and another time he blows a cut block and both times the defender tackles the running back for a loss/no gain
    - But he looks a bit better in pass protection
    - This is how Egnew would be if he turned out to be good.
    - Uses his blockers very well when running after the catch
    - Reminds of Aaron Hernandez. Let's not screw up by passing on this one too.

This kid is going to make someone very happy in the passing game. He's not huge, but super dynamic. If he puts on 10-15 pounds, gains strength and improves his blocking technique he could become a guy you can put out on the field on more than 3rd downs. Some development needs to happen, but you can;t teach the athletic body movement this kid has, nor the speed, not the hands, the vision after the ball is in his hands.

He may go in the third... I'd be tempted to take him with our late third, but with the development he still needs on his blocking (and Egnew already in house) there is no doubt that if he's there when I get to my fourth round pick, this kid is a Miami Dolphin.

And make no mistake, he is NOT a "*****" like Egnew. He is not a good blocker, but certainly not as atrocious as Egnew was (and probably still is).

Love this kid's potential.

Ludacris, MrClean and rafael like this.
  2. Bpk

[video=youtube;fPzEqCu9gf8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPzEqCu9gf8[/video]
    [video=youtube;U1V1y5AmfKk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1V1y5AmfKk[/video]
    [video=youtube;Zfe6X3GN4Ag]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfe6X3GN4Ag[/video]

SICK and Rhody Phins Fan like this.
  3. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IIRC he was 220 when he first got to UF, but was about 245 to start last season.

Bpk likes this.
  4. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I think he is a clone of Hernandez. His blocking IMO, is better right now than Ertz or Eifert. So is Escobar. They both put forth much better effort and fight to sustain as long as possible.
    We should be thrilled to death if we land Reed.

djphinfan and Ludacris like this.
  5. Bpk

I'm inclined to agree about being thrilled. Ertz is a noticeably better blocker than Reed, but they are very different types for different offensive schemes IMO. I think Ertz would suit a Parcellian team as its 'receiving' Tight End.

I'd have to watch Eifert and Reeds blocking one after the other to decide who was better blocker but I'm inclined to say Eifert. However Rees is the most dynamic TE in terms if YAC in the draft (that I've seen so far... Including Escobar).

6. Bpk

Yeah, I noticed the discrepancy. What concerns me is, I doubt there's much more room to add size to that frame. So you can only hope he gets stronger.

Still, you could do worse than having an Owen Daniels type on your team.

Xeticus likes this.
  7. MrClean

Ertz has the tools to be a good blocker but often watching him I find myself unhappy with his effort. I think Reed and Escobar at least try more consistently.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Man, I really like this player. But wouldn't drafting him spell the end for Clay? Could we have both on the same team?

9. MrClean

IMO we could. The Pack often carried 5 TEs when Philbin was there. Also Clay is also a FB, so just use him there to get both on the field at the same time.

Anonymous likes this.
  10. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    That could work. I don't want to lose Clay. I think he can be a damn good player.

11. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    To be fair, a lawn chair is probably better than Egnew. That said, I like what I see as far as athleticism.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  12. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Reed is a guy I've mentioned before as on of the players I really want from UF along with Elam and Gillisee. Watching Reed really does remind me of Hernandez. This difference between the two is that he was a QB when he got to campus and then made the switch because of John Brantley I believe. Last year was the first year where he was only a TE as his time before that was as a QB/TE player. A guy that do what he did with only two years at the position is someone who is worth picking up. It's just obvious that he creates mismatches, something we desperately need from a TE

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Bpk likes this.
  13. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    lol who the **** cares?

Xeticus likes this.
  14. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think he's a bit of a luxury pick. He might end up being a good receiving threat, but he can't block or out-physical or height guys, I don't think you can rely on him to be the sole guy.

15. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    I do obviously.

16. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    A receiving TE that can threaten the seam isn't a luxury.

Xeticus, sports24/7 and Bpk like this.
  17. Bpk

That's why he's worth a late third or a fourth as an investment IMO. I wouldn't use a 2nd on him. Still, he's the kind of guy that can impact the outcome of a game even with limited snaps.

Disgustipate likes this.
  18. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Any way you slice it, this is a very good TE class. I will be very disappointed if the Dolphins assume Egnew is going to develop and bypass taking one at some point.

Bpk and Xeticus like this.
  19. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    does resigning Fasano make him more interesting to the scheme?

20. Bpk

That would be negligence and incompetence, IMO, given all reports about Egnew thus far. It would be wishful thinking rather than responsible management.

sports24/7 likes this.
  21. Bpk

Absolutely, imo. And if you don't re-sign Fasano, go get a Dustin Keller or Jared Cook then draft Reed.

22. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I disagree with that bro, I think the combination of skillsets of Fasano and Reed would make sense, not with reed and Keller.

23. Bpk

I also think Fasano and Reed are a nice pair. But if Ireland won't pay what Fasano thinks he is worth, I'd be fine with Keller or Cook. I get the sense that in a zone blocking scheme your TR doesn't need to be a powerful drive blocker, so Keller and Cook should suffice.

I mean, if Fasano leaves, who would you like to see as his replacement?

24. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    This TE class along with the WR is pretty depthy in that 2nd to 3rd range. Lots of talent and different skillsets available. As long as we take a WR I wouldn't mind also adding a TE.

25. MrClean

He may not be a physical blocker, but he can wall off, and he works to sustain. He is eons better at blocking than Clay was coming out, or Egnew of course.
    If you'd take Aaron Hernandez, you should want Reed. I cannot imagine any two players coming out of the same school in such a short time who were any more similar.

djphinfan and Bpk like this.
  26. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    I've seen Florida fans rave about Reed being a duplicate of Hernandez. Talent is talent. We need to take what we can get. Although, to think he's going to be available in the 3rd round is a bit... silly. He's going round 2. Hernandez would of likely gone round 2 if it wasn't for drug violations. If you want him, round 2 or bust.

I would pass on Reed. I think we have a poor man's Hernandez with Clay. I think Clay is a pretty versatile player with the size and athleticism of Hernandez with none of the polish. He was a FB throughout college. I think I've seen enough flashes from him to justify his development and to pass on a player with a similar skill set who will cost us a 2nd round pick. We also have Egnew... Which means nothing. Or something. No idea, yet.

If we're going to draft a TE, I'd rather it be someone who fits the profile of a true #1. Hernandez is a very, very good TE. But he's robin. Gronk is batman. Let's draft someone of that profile to develop. Especially if it's a high pick.

27. MrClean

If it's through the draft, I'd say the TE with the closest skill set maybe Kelce. He can block better than most any TE except Williams of Alabama, but he's also a viable weapon as a pass catcher.

28. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I doubt there's a Gronk in this draft. I also doubt Reed goes before the third. I would say that his odds of going in the fourth are higher than his odds of going in the second.

Bpk and djphinfan like this.
  29. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I think there's a pretty good chance that a lot of the options at tight end require the Dolphins to get a "blocking" tight end. I don't know it is Fasano, though, I'm not sure he would want to come back.

I dunno, I think it's the opposite. A blocking tight end is maybe more valuable in zone blocking. An outside zone has behind the tight end as an aiming point, and they're likely the backside guy in a cut block. You're also getting potential value out of every single play opening up a cut back lane that you aren't getting so much in man blocking.

Bpk likes this.
  30. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I think you're in general more tolerant of bad blocking then I am(Which isn't to criticize, it seems like a trend as of late in the NFL). I don't think Reed is a competent blocker, I don't know if you'd compare him to Clay. Clay was a pretty solid lead blocker.

Maybe I'm not cognizant of how much a guy can improve or didn't pay enough attention to Hernandez in the past, but I can't imagine he was as bad of a blocker.

31. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    UF fan here, just started watching them this year, but Reed was solid. He never took over games, which I think was more on the QB than Reed himself. He seemed to be the go to WR and his athleticism really stands out. He seemed like a competitor that was willing to do what it took to make an impact on each play. He was a former QB and he is still learning the position.

I think he goes in the 3rd.

32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    First of all, I absolutely want to retain Fasano, I think it would be a mistake to let him go, but if we do, and we want to curtail the offense a bit, then I would go after Fred Davis..

It kills me that we don't know how the staff is projecting Egnew...

33. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Talk about a complete rebuilding of a unit if you don't sign Fasano and eggnog is a bust..holy schnikes.

Bpk likes this.
  34. Bpk

Very good points, bro. Very true. Especially the outside zone. And also, you must have all
    Cutback lanes available, not just the intended hole. Hm.

35. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    If you sign Fasano and draft Eifert the unit is done, over, finito, your all good, completeness achieved..

36. Bpk

I think Eifert is gone before we pick in the second. In which case, I target Reed in the late third.

37. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    I think if the Dolphins answer to the tight end position is Fasano and someone then they're idiots. Fasano is part of the problem that's led to fifty three losing seasons in a row. As for Jordan Reed, he's a nice player. I agree with Mr Clean, he's a better blocker than Ertz or Eifert. Looking back at my notes from when I watched the game a few months back, he looked pretty good one on one against Damontre Moore, especially locking down the line. There's a play late in the fourth quarter where he blocks down from the free side and runs Moore outside the opposite hash on the strong side. Comes with about two and a half to play. His athletic ability is terrific. Wouldn't surprise me if he ran in the 4.5's. Good player. I think I like him more than Ertz. Ceiling certainly higher.

38. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Fasano is a heck of a blocker, sure hands, good route runner and had almost twice as many rec TDs last year as Hartline and Bess combined. I've seen on TV and in person what he lacks- speed and explosion- and I'm assuming that's what you're referring to.

To me ground zero as to what's weighing down the offense is Bess's lack of speed and play making ability, followed by Hartline's marginal capabilities in those regards as well. Just as I think that we could use a pass rushing DE to spell Odrick, I think the same with Fasano, or at least pairing him up with a seam buster like Reed on passing downs to give us that true seam busting threat.

Fasano never will be a perfect TE, he can't be, just not fast enough. But as with Bryan Cox years ago, as I watched him live in a game get tooled while trying to cover a TE on a deep pattern- he's not perfect but there's value there imo. He can contribute and is one heck of a blocker, imo get your speed at WR upgrades and a fast, competent TE to compliment him and open up the offense. If I'm wrong, so be it, but I still see value in Fasano.

I just watched some UF/Texas A&M film btw and yeah, Reed looked solid and did a good job blocking Moore.

39. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I agree with both parts...but I don't think we should let Eifert slip thru are hands like we did on Gronkowski, Graham, and Dwayne Allen.

40. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Is he someone that Bill Belichick is going to stay up late gem planning against. I like Fasano but to me he's blocking the growth of a new breed of tight end that Miami is missing out on. They have a very good down the field target in Charles Clay who is GROSSLY underused.

Anonymous likes this.