1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why I Trade the Extra 2nd-Round Pick for a Wide Receiver NOW

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by shouright, Oct 1, 2012.

1. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    In the thread I started called "Matt Moore: A Case for Starting Him," I argued that Ryan Tannehill should start this year so that he can develop, even if it means losing, but the thing that was gnawing at me that made me start the thread was the realization that the rest of the roster is good enough to win now IMO, and Joe Philbin needs to win now to establish credibility with his players.

If you take a group of men who believe they can win now, as I think this team should, and you put the quarterback on the bench who gives them the best chance to win, you lose the team IMO, and Joe Philbin as a first-year head coach with no established reputation can't afford to lose his team.

Well, after yesterday, it's clear the best quarterback is on the field.

Now, because this team CAN win now, and because the best quarterback is indeed on the field, I think at this point you look at games like the one yesterday and you realize that Ryan Tannehill is a stud wide receiver away from being able to put a lot of points on the board.

You throw a Greg Jennings out there, for example, move Hartline to a #2, and Bess to a #3 slot guy, and now all of the sudden you can PLAY and you can SCORE POINTS.

I think if I'm Jeff Ireland and I'm coming off that game yesterday, with the trade deadline quickly approaching, I'm calling around the league and dangling that extra 2nd-round pick for wide receiver who can come in here and help this team win NOW.

You do it for Ryan Tannehill, you do it for Joe Philbin, and you do it for the rest of those guys out there who are working their asses off to win games.

first&goal, Disnardo and Bumrush like this.
  2. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Jennings can't stay on the field this season. I'm thinking Dwayne Bowe.

dolfan7171, Ozzy, Boik14 and 5 others like this.
  3. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Jennings is just an example. You pull the trigger for anybody with the talent to move Hartline to a #2 and Bess to a #3 IMO.

4. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    **** that. Get BOTH.

Jennings, Bowe, Hartline, Bess = Best WR corp. in the NFL.

Paul 13 and jsizzle like this.
  6. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie

But he puts the team on his back.

Moves likes this.
  7. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    So much this. You get Bowe during the offseason, you still draft or otherwise get another guy. Don't half *** it and hope for the best.

fins1 likes this.
  8. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not in favor of this, when was the last time a in season trade provided what a team needed?

Bpk likes this.
  9. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    I like the cut of your jib.

jsizzle likes this.
  10. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I think it all depends what we could get back for our 2nd rounder. I would be ok with Bowe. I am not sure if Mike Wallace worked things out with the Steelers, but he is someone I would love to see in a Phin's uniform. Maybe go after him after this season? But there are a lot of really good WR's in next year's draft. I would probably go with a pass rusher first, and then use our next pick on a stud WR.

11. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't think Dwayne Bowe has the type of character Philbin is looking for.

12. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    You have to be very judicious about who you add.

If Hartline and Bess end up being even close to productive as they look like so far through the season, you need to be concerned about chemistry and your long-term goals for what kind of offense you want. It's also quite possible they are not interested in a clear #1 wide receiver.

13. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    And a massive, massive waste of resources and there's virtually no chance that most, if any of those players would be efficiently utilized.

slickj101 likes this.
  14. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    exactly. Even with Bowe (who I'd like to have on this team) I doubt we're going to the playoffs this season. As good as Tanny looked yesterday, he's still young, going to make his mistakes. at best, trading for Bowe gets us to 7 wins IMO. try to get him in the offseason (or another vet WR) and use the 2nd rounder on a stud TE. we need both for this offense to really takeoff.

gunn34 likes this.
  15. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    good idea to fish for a third receiver but whoever come in will not push Heartline to the #2 the way he's playing

xphinfanx likes this.
  16. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Point is with the parity in the league, if you can improve now you may have a chance to make the playoffs. Remember, Tom Brady took over for a 1-3 team the year NE won the Super Bowl. If we can sneak in to the playoffs all bets are off

jsizzle likes this.
  17. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I've been screaming for a win now WR all off season. I have argued with people that say free agency ins't the answer and we need to build through the draft, blah, blah, blah. As if I don't believe that to! getting a win now WR IMO doesn't warrant anyone thinking I want to go crazy in free agency and hurt us in the cap or anything like that. That's been my stance but lately I have changed my tune to waiting for next year. Next year I believe will bring more talented answers in free agency. But if a 2nd round pick can get us a talent like a relatively young Dwayne Bowe, then I am all for it! Do it! I didn't think he would be available til next year though.
    With Hartline and Bess playing like they've been playing the problem isn't as big as I first thought, but its still a problem, specially in the red zone! Someone like Dwayne Bowe would take that problem away in a heart beat!

jsizzle likes this.
  18. Berezo

Berezo Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    As much as we do need extra help at receiver, I am not in favor of this. Transactions like this during the season rarely pan out. Be patient and let people grow and smile at the end of the season at the cap and picks we have for the future.

Mr772 likes this.
  19. jsizzle

jsizzle Banned

Jan 3, 2012
    I would touch myself naked in the middle of the street if we got Bowe! :party:

20. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    depends. CAN YOU GET PAT RILEY INTO A GM FOR THE DAY TYPE DEAL?

21. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I would be surprised if they spent a lot of money in FA on a WR. I do think they need to address it though. There are a few guys I would be interested in if I were Ireland/Philbin, such as Devery Henderson, and Danny Amendola. If you can get Greg Jennings for a relatively low price, then take a shot at it.

I would make an exception in regards to expenditures on a WR, but the only guy I would do it for would be Mike Wallace. He's that good IMO.

22. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I think Ricky is right
    save our #1 & two 2's for the best wr/te in the draft
    bring either 7/11 or Tannehill's old go-to up from the practice-squad & school them
    use Reggie bush as wr more often, allowing Lane & Miller to play
    this cadre can coach & this is a the time to coach up what you've got

better re-sign Reggie & Hartline asap

23. Berezo

Berezo Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    1st step is to of course, cut Nanee

24. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    My thoughts on this depends on a lot of things. I'm a fan of acquiring players through the draft. I also believe QBs make the WRs around them better, not the other way around. I think it's better for a young QB to work with young WRs rather than veterans who might have certain demands of how many balls they expect thrown their way.

The flip side of this is I have 0.0 confidence in the guy who is responsible for making those draft picks.

Boik14 likes this.
  25. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    Generally doesn't work well for trading teams at this time of year. Not saying it won't work, but risky.

26. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Save the draft picks this year... this offseason, go hard after WRs.

27. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I disagree with this on two premises.

1. A 2nd round pick for a wide receiver is overpaying, and I'm simply not willing to overpay for a position that doesn't contribute much to winning.
    2. The flaw in this thinking is the same flaw that convinced Miami to trade for Brandon Marshall, and that flaw is thinking that adding a wide receiver is going to increase point production. It's not. What will increase point produciton is when Ryan Tannehill gets more comfortable passing the ball when the field is constricted.

Have you ever asked yourself why Green Bay would be letting Greg Jennings go? IMO, Green Bay knows that the wide receiver position is a fungible position that should not have a lot of money spent on it.

28. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I should also add, just like I have 0 confidence in Ireland drafting good players, I have 0 confidence in him making good decisions trading picks for players mid season. I'd rather Miami do nothing with the picks in the hopes that a competent GM replaces Ireland at seasons end.

29. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I do not agree with the idea of a mid-year trade unless the RIGHT one becomes available to us, which seems pretty far-fetched. There are very few guys that could come available for that price that I would consider.

People haven't really considered the Dolphins' depth when it comes to this idea that we could actually win and compete this year. The season is long and injuries happen. Any injuries to Sean Smith, Cam Wake, Kevin Burnett, Karlos Dansby, Koa Misi, Jake Long, Mike Pouncey, Davone Bess, Brian Hartline or Anthony Fasano would arguably be disastrous. And I don't just say that because they're playing well. I say that because of the combination of their all being keys to how well the Dolphins are playing (even at 1-3), combined with the depth sitting behind them.

If you've got to deal with a secondary featuring Richard Marshall, Nolan Carroll and Jimmy Wilson as your starting corners, that has the potential to look like a flipping disaster at times. If Cam Wake misses any time, pass rush pretty much goes to near zero, and you've got to blitz any time you need it. All three of the linebackers are playing well and are big time cogs in this defense, and the guys sitting behind them (Trusnik and Spitler) are unproven and frustrating dreck. Will Yeatman only just made the transition from TE to OT on the eve of training camp and Nate Garner is a proven failure when asked to play left tackle. Josh Samuda is a rookie UDFA and even though I've always liked the guy since he was first signed, he looked like a rookie UDFA a lot this preseason. Pouncey is a big part of the running game's success right now and if you have to go from Pouncey to the rookie UDFA, that is a HUGE step down. With Charles Clay disappointing and Michael Egnew not even able to make the active squad, we're an Anthony Fasano injury away from 30-40 snaps a game for Jeron Mastrud...you watch. And we've all seen what happens when Ryan Tannehill tries throwing the football to any receiver not named Bess or Hartline. Remember how utterly depressing and stinky the WRs unit was when Hartline was hurt this preseason? That's what it would be like again if that calf strain comes back to haunt him. That's how bad the guys behind them are, with the possible exception of Rishard Matthews. Hell we don't think of Reshad Jones or Chris Clemons as stalwarts but you know who sits behind them? No? Neither do I.

I don't know that this is a team that is built to keep up their performance for an entire 16 game season because the depth is bad everywhere but at DT, QB, OG and RB. And at some of those positions where the depth isn't bad, it's still not necessarily 'good' either. On that basis, I'm not playing for this year. I know that's a terrible admission but it's true. I'm not paying a 2nd round pick for a guy I can turn around and sign in free agency next off season (see: Bowe, Jennings, even Wallace).

Honestly I'm just waiting for Rishard Matthews to get on the field and then we'll find out more about whether this WRs unit is well-rounded or not. Matthews has the physical strength to produce touchdowns and it showed with the touchdown he scored against Carolina. He's always had good leg strength as a prospect and he has the potential to be your James Jones.

30. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Unless Tannehill manages to crap the bed the last 12 games, I think Ireland's job is pretty safe.

31. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i keep the picks

32. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I'd be much more inclined to agree with you if we were simply a WR away from being where we want to be. This D is not very good. It keeps letting teams that are just so-so catch up... (jests, Cards)... I agree that we need at least one more stud WR, but we also need better Ss (despite Jones coming on), CB, rushing lb or DE, TE and maybe even a better #2 RB option... I'd rather wait to get these guys in the draft and next years' FA...

Boik14 likes this.
  33. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Might be time to see what Matt Moore is worth to the Chiefs. Cassel can't get any worse.

CWBIII and Boik14 like this.
  34. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I concur. With Tannehill playing like he played yesterday this gives Ireland a leg to stand on. No doubt that, that alone will buy Ireland another year. And if Ireland can capitolize on several draft picks and 50+ mil cap room, all haters will change their tune!

xphinfanx likes this.
  35. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I think that is pretty wishful thinking unfortunately. Matt Moore is a FA, and I don't think the Chiefs will spend anything for a 12 game rental when they are as bad as they are.

36. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I think they'd still give up something for him. Obv nothing big but it's not like they couldn't use at least 2 more decent QBs on that roster.

They have Cassel, Quinn and Stanzi lol

37. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    How about the 2nd-round pick Green Bay spent on Jordy Nelson? That's all I'm asking be spent here, with whatever salary is warranted.

38. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    You can only find that kind of value in the draft.

39. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Am I the only one who would not like to see Bowe or Jennings in Miami?

CWBIII and Anonymous like this.
  40. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    You have more faith in them then I do.