1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why no holdouts?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by cdz12250, Aug 2, 2009.

Tags:
  1. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    For the second year in a row, all rookies are signed by the start of training camp. This is one of many improvements the new front office has brought. But how did they do it? Is it that prior owners/GMs tried to beat up the rookies and the new front office is more fair? Is it the opposite, meaning that now they play hardball? Is it a difference in negotiating style and tactics? Is there a comparison of how rookie deals are slotted in comparison to position in the draft, before and after Parcells? What do you think/know? (Hope some agents are lurking).

2. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    They have guys that are hungry. They want to be on the team and not miss practices or meetings.

3. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Sure wish Brett still visited, he would have an insiders view.

4. SargeZ33

SargeZ33 Semperfi!

Jul 24, 2009
    Fleming Island ,FL
    I honestly think that its because alot of players WANT to play for the Phins due to their coaching and front office. Look at Plax, and Bouldin. They would love to come here and play. Its only a matter of time before this team starts getting respect, and if they are able to spank the Pats, Bills, and Jets, youll see the media fall in place too.

Dont be surprised by other players saying they want to be part of the Phins all the way during free agency, and as they get cut from other teams.

anlgp and RickyNeverInhaled like this.
  5. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

It's just a different approach to getting the team ready. We never had major holdouts, although Allen's career got off on the wrong step. The thing is, it's a philosophy from the top down that's different. Part of it is due to the actual players they recruit and get (both in FA and the draft), part of it is diligence on their part to get everyone in by the time camp starts and part of it is the fact that, from a players' perspective, the franchise looks, feels and smells like a winner instead of a loser.

Any way you look at things, this regime as a purpose and goal and they do what needs to be done to attain that goal...

PhinsRock, cnc66 and azfinfanmang like this.
  6. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    I personally think you have to "sift" everything guys like that say.. I question their sincerity.

7. SargeZ33

SargeZ33 Semperfi!

Jul 24, 2009
    Fleming Island ,FL
    I know that some of it is hype, but why do you think they would mention us instead of NE, PITT, or any other team that has been winning?

cnc66 likes this.
  8. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    because they were asked? because reporters looked around and decided Miami "needed" a big name receiver.. I just don't think those kind of statements mean much. Now, if one of them was reported calling Jeff and offering to work for "whatever" money, THEN I would be impressed. ( Jason Taylor)I think you make a great point about us now being a "good" destination but again, in the case of Anquan and Plaxico.. I just don't buy all the way in.. one wants more money, the other wants to play somewhere.. anywhere not in a prison yard...

Miami stacks up pretty good against prison. :wink2:

and good morning to you Sarge! :hi5:

FinSane and SargeZ33 like this.
  9. SargeZ33

SargeZ33 Semperfi!

Jul 24, 2009
    Fleming Island ,FL
    Good point! And good morning to you!

cnc66 likes this.
  10. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    Well how bout something way off the mark...

How bout the Agents actually know their job and knowing how to get a little and give a little to get their clients into camp...

11. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

It's called "South Beach" :lol:

12. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    i thought about writing something about this. I haven't had the time to be online like i use to. lol.

I think its a combination of the front office knowing what they want and getting the deal done, and playing hard ball, specially if they're not gung ho about someone.

13. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    plax i agree with.....but boldin has other reasons to play in miami.....growing up in pahokee and playing highschool there....he still has a house there, he still does a charity event in palm beach county every year.....it is "home" to him. thats more incentive.

besides the entire (i wanna play for you for anything: jason taylor deal) is a very very rare situation.......and honestly never happens haha :lol:

cnc66 likes this.
  14. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Nah, that would be analogous to a Disney movie having a bad ending

Anywho, I think lots of good oints have been touched on, and I think it is a combo of many of them

Without a doubt, just the proffesionalism the FO exudes is huge.

The Phins are on their way up for sure

The folks the FO target always plays a key role in it, and it wouldn't surprise me if prior to the draft that is indeed part of the screening

15. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

I think it's a matter of a few points. The FO is very particular about the players they focus on, high character guys. Meanwhile the FO is fair in it's contracts but yet firm, letting the agent and the player know that in comparison, they are getting a good deal and are not likely to budge the FO on terms. As Kenny said the FO just exudes professionalism and the agents/players know it.

16. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    hats off to jeff ireland for doin it a second yr in a row.it is the difference in having a real gm in jeff that knows being a gm like the back of his hand and having a scouting dept guy(speilman)promoted to gm because the fo has lost faith in the coach(wanstache,cameron)to be able to manage every facet of the game. and who knows..speilman still can become a good gm i just think atm he lacks experience and a certain respect around the league from players.

17. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    That's a good point Sickness.. I had forgot the Pahokee connection.. still, he was looking for more dough, not necessarily a way back home.

SICK likes this.
  18. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    It has everything to do with the FO.Not only do they draft good athletes,but athletes with that certain mental aspect.It's not a ME thing,but a team first attitude and a business to boot.That's what makes are FO so special.

It is also well documented how Parcells will perceive you when you do show up late for camp or the weight room for that matter.Sparano is from that coaching mold,so why make it harder on yourself to make the team? Us fans even know noone is guaranteed a spot,muchless a rookie who holds out.

From a FO standpoint,it's always better for the team to have all their player's in camp.(common sense there)
    The bottom line is it boosts moral.The FO is happy,the coaching staff has all it's players.It also shows the players a commitment from the FO,which in turn translates to better football on the field.
    This is the first step the FO takes in building a winning team.A very important step.......

cnc66 and m ino like this.
  19. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

i agree.

if i were a player here are the things that would go into my decisions in somewhat of an order.

1) front office/coaching staff.

2) team chemistry

3) can we beat our rivals? if not, can I help them beat our rivals?

4) if we can't beat our rivals can i at least help them put a whoopin' on other teams?

and i think the phins have all four of those things going for them.

20. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the total environment (business & on the field) is conducive to a quick & fair signing
    the competition factor is a serious consideration,
    no one wants to fall out of favor or behind in training camp
    the TriFecta move & speak with one voice:theman:Parcells & Co.