1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Our Secondary Will Improve This Year

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bpk, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

In one word: Practice.

For years our D has practiced all week against speedless, unexplosive guys like Hartline, Naanee, Bess, and Fasano. Then we get to game day and have to be ready to handle receivers like Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald, and other top guys. And we would struggle at the back end.

Now, with Wallace, all practice week our D will get reps and looks against a TRUE THREAT and have to adapt and adjust. It will show coaches our deficiencies in coverage BEFORE game day, so we can adjust the game plan. It will allow us to scheme differently if we are having trouble containing him in practice. It will force our safeties and DBs to step up their game.

Cam Wake always says that he loves practicing against Jake Long, because it makes him much better.

The low caliber of receivers on this team has been part of why our secondary has not gotten much better. That changes now.

I look forward to 2013. Let's see what this team can do on BOTH sides of the ball! Go Dolphins!

vt_dolfan likes this.
  2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I'd say yes and no. yes, it should help them realize what speed is and try to be ready for it, but no because until we can get a CB that can keep up with a speed guy, he's still going to get burned. But to your point, if we draft a stud like Xavier in 1st round, it could help me out quite a bit if he's our #1 CB.

3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If we bring in Pollard our secondary will improve greatly this year.

4. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    practice will likely help ... but our secondary will be better, because our front 7 will be better at pressuring the QB ...

5. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Those two we got yesterday are very good inside pass rushers.....

Was just listening on the radio to Bill Polian and he said good inside pass rushers are very hard to come by in the NFL.

6. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I'd like to see a pass rusher added at defensive tackle. If we could land a Geno Atkins type (78 pressures in 494 pass rush snaps), then we could create a lot of havoc and be able to counter the zone read.

7. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Well, that's a good thought, I hadn't looked at it this way. I like that they are attacking the D (this offseason) as aggressively as the offense. The prevailing thoughts on the Fins have been that the offense is so poor and the D has carried the team and that for us to improve, we'd have to have an influx of play-makers...well, that is being done, but the fact is that the D has been stagnate for several years....certainly not bad, but not improving either.

We've had issues with CBs (first VD and now Smith), This will have to be addressed as we go on in FA. The S position has a bandaid with CCs, but it's likely that in the draft and FA they'll address it as well.

The DL has been the saving grace putting enough pressure to hide the deficiencies with the LBs... Well, the DL has been maintained with Starks staying on (and keeping Soliai last season). The jury is still out for OV but he may yet turn out to be the piece opposite Wake to make a difference.

The LBs have been revamped, getting more athletic guys that more fit what Coyle wants to do. We've had solid but unspectacular LB play. There may yet be more moves made, but even if this is all they do, it's a significant move, not to mention a bit surprising.

I just like that it appears more and more that Irish is getting players that the coaching staff want and can work their scheme into the additional talent....so far, kudos to Jeffe...

HULKFish likes this.
  8. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    While I agree with you in principal... I'm then reminded of our depth chart at CB. Presently at #1 It's Marshall I'd assume, and #2 its... Dmitri Patterson, followed probably by Jimmy Wilson I'd guess... That scares the hell out of me.

I know there's a long way to go in FA, and the draft... lol Im just saying tho...

I think what you're saying though holds alot of merit. I think we definitely will see our defensive guys play a bit better this year on the deep stuff, because they'll actually have to face a deep threat in practice now. That of course, only bodes well for us. I hope.

9. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    We've got to get better and more scheme-suited players back there, but at the same time this is a real thing. Iron sharpens iron.