1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why pick ..."insert name"... with our #1 pick?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by gafinfan, Apr 11, 2008.

1. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

We seem to always be unlucky when we are picking at the top of the draft; so everyone says, this year seems no different. There is no true # 1, so people say, so take the BPA; yeah right.

This line of thinking just seems wrong to me maybe I’m one of Boomer’s 99 percent guys, no offence taken Boomer, and here is why in my humble opinion. There are 3 or 4 guys that are at the top, any one of which can help us be a better team, right? The three that are in my mind are Jake and Chris Long and Glenn Dorsey. There is no QB this year that even comes close to being a # 1 pick in my mind, sorry, and any RB at no. 1 is a waste for the Dolphins with the backfield we now have. Parcells is said to never draft o-line in the first round always defense but both times he has stayed at where he was in the 1st round he took offensive players the other times he traded down for more picks.

The question that I’m putting forward is which of those three men will start as a rookie and help the Dolphins the most to WIN games. Whoever that person is should be the guy we pick and put on our team. Since the first of Feb. I’ve read about Chris being the safest or Jake not having the quickest feet or Dorsey not being able to play in a 3-4 or Chris having to change his position and so on. But no one has stated why his guy will be best for our team. Am I missing something? Something Sparano said makes sense to me “We don’t want/need the best guy we want/need the right guy” when asked about the draft. What is the difference between BEST and RIGHT?

The Dolphins have so many holes that I’m sure any one of the three can help this team so making a statement that we shouldn’t only draft for need is kind of a joke because we need everyone we can get offense or defense. Will Chris or Glenn make our defense that much better than it was before? Are either one of them that much of a difference maker? Not in my mind they aren’t, if you add either one to the defense we now have we will not be a top 5 defense this coming season, will we? On the other hand if we go ahead and draft Jake long and plug him into our O-line he will make us so much better from the get go. Every one says we will play smash mouth football which to me means running the ball down everyone’s throat. Jake will truly help us do that no matter which side he plays on. Last year VC was on the left side and RB ran great behind him; over 5 yds. per, put Jake on the other side and Ronnie becomes world class. Run the ball enough and Jake’s so called slow feet won’t make any difference because the other team will be thinking run not pass. Also do you mean to say that Chris can go from being a DE to an OLB but Jake can’t go from being an LT to being an LT? We can ask Dorsey to learn to play in a 3-4 but we can’t ask Jake to learn to better pass block? Chris will be a leader on our team because he was a leader on his college team, if I’ve read it right, so was Jake as well as Glenn.

To me the best answer for our team, at this moment, is Jake Long. Picking him will give us the most bang for our buck. Come on Bill and give us a chance to really shine on Sundays this year; I want to hold my breath every time Ricky, Ronnie, or LoBo touch the ball because they just might take it to the house. I want to know that when we are fourth and goal from the 3 that Ronnie is going to run right behind Jake or Vernon and we WILL score; every time! If it was a different year or we were drafting at a different slot I might think differently but it is what it is and, in my mind, we have a chance to have a top 5 O-line for the next 10/15 years if we pick Jake. Can he bust, sure and so can Chris or Glen but the chance of that is not as great as with either of the other two as I see it.

Please, I know all about individual stats but what I want to hear about is team chemistry and what is best for the Dolphins not who I like the most. I like all three and won’t be unhappy with any of them but my feeling is that Jake is the best pick for us. What do you say?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
    CrunchTime and PhinsRock like this.
  2. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Has to be Jake, our biggest need is OL, he fits the Parcells' mode of size, work ethic & love of the game. He instantly starts next season and immediately makes our OL much better. Our rushing game improves with Jake, and Parcells loves to run the ball. Our QB, Beck or my boy Josh, either one, needs time to throw, the WR's need time to get open, and the running game needs holes to run through. The passing game gets better for all those reasons, in particular the improved running game helps the passing game.

Nice thread idea, thanks.

3. Marino1983

Marino1983 Junior Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Chris Long!

J Long is not a LT. This has been voiced by most of the experts.

Yes he can probably be coached up to play LT but considering the money he will receive it would be more cost effective to invest in a player that will have the chance to contribute and grow a lot faster with less chance of regrets..

As I have posted before J Long will be a great OLineman in this league. But with his question marks concerning his left tackle play, Chris Long imo would be the safer pick!

Marino1983

late again likes this.
  4. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Actually I've posted before why I believe Chris Long ought to be the 1st pick. However I don't mind repeating my thoughts.
    Chris Long is widely considered to be a player who can come in and make an immediate impact. But so is Jake Long. However, there is dispute among all of the experts as to whether or not he'll make the transition to LT at the NFL level.
    This draft is loaded with highly regarded OTs. So loaded that even if we draft Chris Long at #1 there almost certainly be a quality OT still on the board at #32 - I mean normally this would still be a 1st round pick even. So this strategy allows us to get an impact DE plus an OT who should be able to start this year. RT would still be just fine; Carey did a nice job at LT last year - he should be even better this year. So I really don't mind if our 2nd rd pick is a RT.
    If J Long is our 1st pick, will we still be able to get the same type of player at #32 ? Assuming, I suppose that our 1st TWO picks weren't O-line.