1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why the Dolphins are a Legitimate Playoff Contender

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin Fan In Cali, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Why the Dolphins are a legitimate playoff contender

After winning at Denver on Sunday, Dolphins players and coaches went to a place that an organization headed by the master of premature-celebration-avoidance wouldn't figure to allow them to go.
    Not this early, at least.
    But there they were in and around the visitor's dressing room, talking about the possibility of reaching the playoffs. Were they speaking out of turn and risking the wrath of Dolphins executive vice president of football operations Bill Parcells? You know Parcells, the guy who is so fond of telling anyone who gushes over an impressive performance by a young player, "Let's not put him in Canton just yet."

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    its quite an interesting subject, when a young coach feels like its the right time for him to let his team start talking about it. very delicate situation it seems.

Iam such a believer now of going into the game with the right phyche and how that is a major part of the outcome.

I was listening to camirillo's presser and it was so cool how he stated that it was kind of like taboo talking about it before, but now they all think its time for them to start to.

The evolution of a winning team and how they keep their focus as they approach the hunt. We are in good hands with bill parcells dropping some knowledge on sparano about how to handle this very subject. Their probably in the office as we speak burning the midnight oil..

This sunday is gonna be a lot of fun....I think our coaches will get their minds right and they will come out flyin.

cnc66 likes this.
  3. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

It is a double edged sword, but obviously they (Sparano and co.) must feel it's in the best interest of this team at this time. Now the team must back that talk up, but I think it's in the best interest of the psychy of this team right now. I think they've really controlled the psychy of this team so far this year and now they want it to take on it's own identity...

Again, the most important thing is that since the players are talking about the playoffs, the pressure is on them to make it happen... It's a positive step in the progression of this team...I like it...I'd like it better if it comes to fruition, but first things first...the players have to have the confidence in themselves before the next step can be taken...

cnc66 likes this.
  4. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Let me add one thing to this as well...we still don't have the talent to compete evenly with the better teams. In the playoffs, talent will win out over psychy or coaching or anything else that might be making a team successful, but it's a necessary start to the maturation of this team.

5. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    well said Larry. I was thinking as I watched P-burg maul the skins, that we aren't really able to play with the physically elite teams yet. Until we can run the ball on teams like p-burg, ravens, titans etc. we will be doing an early exit at best. After listening to Coach this week, I would expect the o-line is getting serious attention, and if the same pattern follows, we will see improvement there. We NEED to be able to run on teams no matter that they stack the box. We have what will be a very angry and determined patsie team coming to town in three weeks, and a solid running game will give us a chance to win, without it, I see them extracting revenge.