1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why the Lions Game Exemplified the Dolphins of Recent

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by UCF FINatic, Nov 9, 2014.

1. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    1.) Team comes out flat and quickly goes down multiple scores. At this point, you almost want to check out of the game because it is painful to watch.

2.) Team overcomes adversity battles back and reclaims the lead. As a fan you start to believe that we will win; you question your fandom earlier in the game when you almost stopped watching.

3.) Team takes their foot off the peddle and you can see them go into coast mode. They settle for a field goal to go up a meager amount in order to rely on their defense with only a handful of minutes on the clock. You can't help but remember all the late games in which the other team rallied back after a similar situation (i.e. the Texans every time we play them).

4.) Questionable calls that go against our beloved team. Such as the time out call by a phantom person or team with 60-something seconds to go. At this point, you rationalize it and think well at least it isn't as bad as those calls that went against us in the Steelers game a few years ago.

5.) Philbin calls a weird timeout as the time is running essentially stopping the clock for the other team. I know this point has been brought up multiple times on this site, but calling a timeout on 2nd down essentially stopping the clock for the offense when you have the leader really irks me. I can understand if you call a timeout on 3rd down in order to make some adjustments in order to force the team to kick a field goal but why the hell would you do it on 2nd down when the clock is running?! Again, you've experience this so much as a Dolphin's fan it doesn't even shock you anymore.

6.) The other team scores leaving us with no timeouts and less than 60 seconds on the clock. Cue the shot of Tannehill standing alone on the sideline looking on in disbelief, you can literally feel the eventual loss at this point as it is spelled out in Tannehill's defeated eyes (not bashing T-hill here as I am a fan of his, but you can see his lack of confidence at the end and it still irks me that you never see him motivating his teammates to get ready for a quick score, etc). At this point, you only watch because of Manning's miraculous comeback against the Seahawks in even less time. Oh, and because you still remember the glory days of Marino when you were never truly out of a game.

7.) The team burns 19 seconds off the clock in order to get a 15 or so yard gain. The ineptitude inspires you to shake your head in disbelief. Now the only thing left to do is either try to chuck the ball 60+ yards in the air or try a crazy trick play.

8.) Celebrate the loss by drinking and *****ing. You don't worry too much though because you know the Dolphins will be able to squeak out a win the following week in order to keep them in the purgatory of the NFL which is mediocrity of an 8-8 record year after year.

Da 'Fins, TiP54, Bpk and 4 others like this.
  2. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    We lost to a 6-2 team coming off a bye in their own house. Yes, we could've won but Detroit had every advantage you could think of. Thursday's game will define whether we're the Dolphins of recent.

3. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think that really floats when you've got the actual results of the game sitting in front of you that fit an already existing pattern.

4. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I wrote that tongue-in-cheek. I feel that most of our games follow that general arc of emotions to the point that it is comical.

Bpk likes this.
  5. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    What existing pattern? It's not like we lost to the 0-8 Bucs as we come off a bye. Now if Buffalo blows us out again, then yes we're the Dolphins of recent.

6. PhinsMondayNitro

PhinsMondayNitro Active Member

Sep 18, 2014
    Life of a Dolphins fan, I'm accustomed to these type of losses dating back to 2006. Off the top of my head:
    1. Rainy December night in South Florida 2006 Jets kick the game-winning FG (I was there)
    2. Swamp of a field at Heinz Field 2007 Steelers win 3-0 on a FG
    3. 2008 Matt Schaub QB sneak with 3 seconds left
    4. Dolphins up 24-3 against the Saints in the 1st half lose the game (I was there)

7. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Virtually every single thing in the original post is not just something that has occurred multiple times this season, but have been characteristic of Philbin's time here.

8. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    I'm encouraged, and all fans should be. We lost two tight games with lead in hand late against top notch passing teams who came back late to beat us, and we are blowing out teams in wins. We had NFL leading scoring differential per game going into today. Defense is great.

Today, Hoskins subbed for Simms, made the wrong turn on the int. Miller was essentially out today, we lost outside running threat and rhythm on zone read handoffs., and also some long run capability. Oline was depleted, Lions have a great Dline, RT was pressured all day. Today our offense wasn't what it is, there are good underlying reasons for it.

MAFishFan, dolfan22 and adamprez2003 like this.
  9. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    I thought that was a funny post. Thanks.

10. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    This whole post is ridiculous and filled with BS excuses. The bolded being the worst. Hoskins ran the right route, Tannehill threw 3 yards behind him.

11. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland

I remember all of these losses like they were yesterday. This team has been poorly coached for 15 years. I'd like to add both the Packers game and Lions game to this list.

12. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    Please stop going to the games.

13. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i definitely see an improved team from last year. even if somehow we get slammed with injuries and finish 8-8 again i couldnt care less. this year we're good enough to get to the playoffs but still weak enough where we will get bounced eventually to a more complete team. but we have closed to the gap to the point where we are one good offseason away from being a legit superbowl contender. if we add some offensive linemen, one playmaker on offense and one more stud on defense we will be ****ing dangerous as all hell next year. as far as i'm concerned this is just a tune up year where i would like to make the playoffs just to get the players some experience of the vibe but neext year its for all the marbles

TooGoodForDez likes this.
  14. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Nope...he didn't...much like when Sims did the same thing, I think against Oakland. If you believe Gator's route was correct and he was supposed to be turning out and up field, you have to be saying RT's throw was SEVERAL yards off in more than one way. He doesn't throw THAT far off.

Agree to disagree I guess.

15. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    I agree. We are building a dominant team. The goal is to win the SB, the goal is not to make the playoffs, crash and burn. IF we are not ready for the SB run, we are not ready and that's that, not a big deal. I don't care about the record this year, especially since we have a new OC.

We have the most important thing, we have a great team, great coaches, great system in place. They'll get it when they get it. In the meantime, it's fun to watch.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  16. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I thought it looked like Iamahoe just made a good play and stepped in front. I'd like to see it again though.

17. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

After Gator vacated the spot ya. They've ran that play successfully several times and its a stop-catch-go kinda deal.

18. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    why would you expect it to follow the same pattern?

19. PhinsMondayNitro

Sep 18, 2014
    2008 against the Texans haunts me the most. Tony Sparano was one hell of a coach in my opinion, the man had passion. Even after a FG you would see him explode with that fist in the air. Not to mention he got us to the playoffs!

20. PhinsMondayNitro

Sep 18, 2014
    There's a couple more that I remember vividly but I won't discuss them.

21. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Sooo...What was that you said about wanting to have intelligent conversations?

You definitely seen to be trolling...

22. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    agreed. if you cant enjoy the ride what's the point of getting in the car

23. PhinsMondayNitro

Sep 18, 2014
    What is trolling? I'm just venting my frustration about today's loss. Why is everyone so positive about this team? We're basically in the same position that we were in last year and look what happened. We're are the real passionate Dolphins fans?

24. LI phinfan

LI phinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Passionate about what? You have 19 posts saying that the season is over. Venting is not passionate. Why do you even watch anymore? seriously? You jumped on the board today just to piss on everyones cheerios? Go back to everything you posted today....Find one positive ...ONE? I get the frustration over this game, but reading you right now is legendarily embarrasing.

25. PhinsMondayNitro

Sep 18, 2014
    You get over the frustration of this game? How long have you been a Dolphins fan? Have you experienced these type of losses for the past 15 years? I don't think so, keep your mouth shut. Do you watch every game, read every article, record games and play them back? When was the last time you were at Sun Life? You're legendarily embarrassing talking like you know everything. Up yours.

26. LI phinfan

Nov 6, 2013
    Been a Dolphin fan for 40+ years. I fly down to see at least one game a year. I also fly down to Training Camp every few years. I dont know everything. I have followed this team through every article, recorded every single game. Have seen every snap of every game for the last 15 years thanks to Sunday Ticket. I dont know everything. I know I share this passion with my brother and passed it on with my son. I know that I have seen more heartbreaking losses than you can dream about. I know I dont have to tell you to keep your mouth shut. I know I dont show up out of NOWHERE on this board and tell everyone that we suck and the season is over. I know up yours is a classless thing to say. I know that you made little sense today. I also know that you topped legandarily embarrasing by posting again. No, I dont know everything...I just know I know a lot more than you. Sadly, that really is not saying much at all. Looking forward to more of your insightful realistic view of this team you follow so closely.

27. PhinsMondayNitro

Sep 18, 2014
    You're classless for calling someone's opinion legendarily embarrassing. What gives you the right? I just discovered this forum & decided to join. I made little sense today? Are the statistics that I posted inaccurate, what's Tannehill's record as a starter for the Dolphins. Am I wrong?

28. LI phinfan

Nov 6, 2013
    I was probably too harsh with that comment but...you are in every post saying the same negative things. You are having problems with someone in every post...not just me. Am I wrong? And yet you jump right on to the next post and start another problem. Yes, that is Tannehill's record. What that has to do with your over the top reaction to today's tough loss? And for the record, you and I both must be pretty passionate to be posting at 1:17 in the morning...hard to sleep sometimes after games like that

29. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    conservatism is the problem, not talent acquisition.

30. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Fixed the title of your post for you.