1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why We Lost?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by NJFINSFAN1, Sep 23, 2012.

1. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    We were running the ball down the Jets throats, Revis gets hurt and we go pass happy? I understand Revis is hurt, but keep feeding what is working. Miller was running well after Bush went down, and than you don't see him?

I think sometimes coaches really over think the game!

Aquafin and mi2cents like this.
  2. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    A number of reasons we already know.

3. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Armstrong had a bad game

SICK likes this.
  4. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    We missed a game winning field goal.
    That is why we lost and it's the ONLY reason why we lost

CRAZYFACE, mi2cents, jsizzle and 5 others like this.
  5. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    We lost our only Offesnive weapon when Bush when out...

Even though we did well without him there, he keeps Defenses looking and keeping their mind on him.... When he went out, they were not worried about Thomas or Miller.... and defnitely not our Wide Receivers...

Bpk likes this.
  6. Trackstar

Trackstar Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    FL
    Not feeding the rock to Miller was a real head scratcher

muscle979, Pagan, dolfndav34 and 12 others like this.
  7. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Pick 6

D.Train fumble

2 missed FG

Awful play calling.

Bpk likes this.
  8. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Funny, I was thinking the opposite. I thought we got an early lead and then kept running the ball and it wasn't going anywhere. If we were going to run the rock Miller should have been getting the rock, NOT Daniel Thomas.

Ironically, I was pissed we did NOT run the ball on second down in overtime when we were on their side of the field. At that point Carpenter had already missed a similar kick so even if you only got 2 more yards there it is a 46 not a 48 yard field goal; which could have changed the outcome of the game. I really think Sherman called a horrible game overall.

And come on Dan Carpenter...

gunn34 likes this.
  9. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Missed FG. Whatever happened before is irrelevant. (to a degree) We got into a position to win the game. Didnt.

10. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Dan Carpenter.

The one and only reason. Lots of mistakes happen in games from real players. Not just the game winner but also the earlier miss at 17-13.

jsizzle, Bpk and Bumrush like this.
  11. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    We coulda/shoulda been in better position to win. That's why it isn't irrelevant. Coaching was content with a long FG attempts. Alarming.

- sent from my Android device via Tapatalk -

Disnardo and ckparrothead like this.
  12. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    Five more yards might have helped but who knows.

13. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    There were a lot of missed opportunities but the most important final one was when we wasted a couple of downs in an effort of getting a TD instead of getting the ball closer for the FG .

A 33 yrd FG would have been made.Thats what the Jets did when we pissed away those downs.

Mcduffie81 and djphinfan like this.
  14. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    I still expect Carpenter to nail One of those kicks. We win then its easier to comment at the general mistakes. Kickers are paid and their job is to make those kicks. End of.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  15. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Actually there were two run plays and just one pass before the missed FG in overtime, after the long pass to Hartline, and we have no idea what the pass play was intended to accomplish. It could have been a call intended to produce a short pass, and the coverage and/or other factors could've dictated Tannehill's downfield throw.

16. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I know we got a rookie qb and all, but damn did it look like a very very conservative gameplan, on top of it, The qb played poorly..he didn't look right today to me..

Hiruma78, MAFishFan and Bpk like this.
  17. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Tannehill's Pick Six
    Richard Marshall's bad coverage
    Daniel Thomas' inability to see the field and fumblitis
    Dan Carpenter missing 2 FGs
    Bad play calling at the end of the 4th and in OT
    Bush's injury
    Hartline's inability to create seperation
    Armstrong's failure to catch a pass that could have been a TD

RevRick, jsizzle, Bpk and 2 others like this.
  18. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Man Reggie Bush is a talent though. It's not always about the OL when it comes to a RB's success.

Aquafin and Bpk like this.
  19. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Agreed, and would add, poor foresight by the coaches before half, don't need Reggie in there when you know you ain't doing sh&$.

Rookie qb struggled.

Bpk likes this.
  20. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    The Dolphins were running the ball well when Bush was in the game. They weren't running the ball nearly as well when Thomas was in the game. I do agree that Miller should have been used more in the game. The Dolphins ran the ball more than 40 times today. I have no problem with them passing the ball once Revis was injured. This should have opened the passing game up for the Dolphins. Unfortunately the WR's of the Dolphins aren't very good and Tannehill had a very mediocre game passing the ball.

I find fault with the players for not making the plays on the field. Not with the calls made by the coaches.

21. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    All I can say is that if the Dolphins traded Davis because Marshall beat him out. Davis must have been far worse than we realized. Because I just see Marshall as another free agent bust. He made one good play today on the interception, which was followed by substandard play the rest of the game.

22. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I don't understand why, with 7+ minutes left in the game, we start trying to throw the ball everywhere instead oif running it. We ran the ball well today and it did not matter who carried it. we should have been running the ball and killing the clock. Worse we did it 2 series in a row. I don't understand the play calling there and it doesn't matter that revis was out at that point.

GMJohnson likes this.
  23. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    We ran for over a 170 yards on the jets and just stopped when Revis got hurt, it was a huge mistake.

cdz12250 likes this.
  24. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    TBH, that was one of the sloppiest games I've seen in a long time in Miami.

Jest were just less sloppy at the proper time.

Bpk and cdz12250 like this.
  25. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    We lost because we have holes on offense, namely only two viable receivers, an offensive line (and defensive backfield) that needs more time together, a rookie quarterback, and a rookie coaching staff. Any kicker can miss a 47-plus yard field goal. Do not forget. We are rebuilding.

26. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    This game reeked of Sparano's Dolphins. We never seemed to pour it on, we played for field goals and left the game in the hands of a kicker. Deserve to lose every single game you play like that in the NFL. Ironic that it happened against one of the worst offensive minds in modern football, Tony Sparano. The icing of the kicker was classic as well, honestly I've always hated that move and we deserved to have it backfire. Isn't this how we always have lost to the Jest? I mean how many times have we either out played them or played them close and lost in classic fashion? I think the Jest are a terrible team to be honest, we played their game and deservedly lost.

jsizzle and Bpk like this.
  27. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    This is true; however, a QB rating even as poor as 70 (as opposed to the 50 we had) would've probably won this game convincingly.

In other words, the "rookie quarterback" part of your post is driving the bus here IMO.

28. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Could be, but when this team is in much better shape next year, you'll gladly trade this loss for what all the passing in it is going to help Ryan Tannehill to do next year.

29. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I disagree, Revis won this game by getting hurt. The guy is so good, when he got hurt, our staff went pass happy. We didn't need to go pass happy, we needed to keep running the ball down the Jets throats like we were doing and pick spots for our rookie QB to pass. we were doing this all game, and bam, Revis gets hurt and we stopped.

fin13 likes this.
  30. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I don't believe that..VD seemed to be in the doghouse from the get.

31. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey

While I see what your saying, I disagree, you in the famous words of Herm, play to win the game.

32. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Thing is, we played to beat the Jets, we did little else but beat them with our approach.

If you want a different result you have to try different things.

33. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Ugly truth, reality is we don't even know if THill will be any good, so the losing now may be pointless.

Welcome to the N-F-L

34. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Did we really try anything different? We seemed to revert to playing for field goals and playing defense. Granted we probably should have won but this is what happens when you let teams stay close and hang around. I think if Tannehill were a bit more experienced and we actually had WRs that threaten defenses we might be a dangerous team.

35. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Bottom line is, we still don't have a good team. We still have a second tier team. We have mediocre receivers, mediocre linebackers, a rookie QB who is still struggling to get a handle on being a starting NFL quarterback and most of all we have a first time Head Coach who is still learning how to be a Head Coach. The coach and the quarterback still have to learn and the additional pieces still need to be found before we can advance to the next level. We have a ways to go but I think we are heading in the right direction.

36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    It was a team loss..

GMJohnson likes this.
  37. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    We could bang it back and forth forever. We lost because our defense could not finish plays. We lost because our pass rush is terrible at times. We lost because Chris Clemons is hopeless sometimes. We lost because Mike Sherman is all over the place with his play calling. We lost because our rookie quarterback threw the ball WAY too late to Fasano. We lost because out best player missed the 2nd half. We lost because we got ultra conservative and then went 80's Raiders, it seems like there is no in between at times.

In the end we lost because our kicker missed 2 kicks.

I don't trust Dan Carpenter anymore. He has to get his **** together. The way we are, we must have a reliable kicker.

jsizzle likes this.
  38. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Miss one FG and you are going to be in trouble. Miss two in the same game from the same spot - either of which would have won the game - and you are the goat.

Coaches and players on both sides make mistakes throughout games. It's to be expected. Not to be excused, but it's a reality. Other times they will make great calls. Sometimes the plays will work fantastic. The key is that you play well enough to put yourself in position to win the game either by TD's or FG's - and the Dolphins did that today (coaches and players alike).

And Dan Carpenter failed. Period. End-of-story. 'Nuff said.

39. Mk2

Mk2 New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    2 missed field goals that the kicker normally hits is why we lost. Looking into it further only brings up issues that occur in most every game to most every team (run more, limit turnovers yada yadda yadda, ) .

The field goals were not gimme , but he hits just 1 out of the 2 and the game is over.

Bpk likes this.
  40. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I'm a little surprised nobody started a thread about what I'm going to say. It's not like it's a big secret though... we've been talking about it since the middle of March after we traded Marshall. Why did the Jets win today? 9 catches, 150 or so yards... with Mark Sanchez at quarterback. Yep a #1 receiver... you can't tell me Santonio Holmes ISN'T a #1 receiver. If we had a true #1 receiver or at least a receiver that scared a defense, we'd have won this game going away. Go back to the OT bomb from Tannehill to Hartline. Sure that was a nice play. But Hartline leaves his feet and stops himself on that play. A bigger receiver that can keep his balance and continue the play ENDS the game there by scoring a touchdown. It's a good thing Tannehill is a rookie because it would be a crime to treat a veteran quarterback like this.

Hiruma78 likes this.