1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why You Should Believe in Matt Moore

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by KeyFin, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I have no insecurities about Matt Moore playing well. I hope to God that he does. I've always liked Moore and I've always thought he was capable of playing well in short spurts.

With that being said, the hot takes from Tannehill haters when Moore does play well are going to be hilarious. I'm really looking forward to the "see, we don't need Tannehill. Cut him!" comments.

2. LI phinfan

LI phinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Honestly, you can't make this stuff up. Sadly, and I hope I am wrong about this. I think he hopes Ryan plays poorly and the dolphins win. He was probably the lone unhappy phin fan during this win streak. I think his biggest hope is Moore plays light's out, as all Dolphin fans do......but I can almost guarrantee it will not be for the same reasons you and I have. Biggest stretch of games we have in such a long time and we have a guy dogging and downplaying our injured QB's play. Now thats not only sad, its PATHETIC!

3. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Yep. You bet your *** its coming. Thank god the coaches know better.

NyPhinfan, resnor, cuchulainn and 2 others like this.
  4. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Hey Rock: Keyfin provided incorrect numbers. I corrected them.

I wouldn't make wins an argument for or against a QBs performance, anyway.

resnor, cuchulainn and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  5. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    The only false narrative is that the coaches started RT over Moore because they 'had to'. So laughable.

6. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    Tannehill under Philbin vs. Tannehill under Gase....

Moore previously vs. Moore now....

Moore when starting regularly vs. Moore after a long time....

Bottomline - there's too much change to be able to make predictions here. We'd rather be going in with our starting QB. We aren't. It's uncomfortable.
    Oh well. That's football.

All we can do is watch what happens.

#evaluationyear

keypusher likes this.
  7. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I was bored at work one day a couple weeks ago and decided to look up some stuff from that 2011 season. Matt Moore had some good games, and basically played like I knew he could. He's a fine backup. He can play well in a few games, but will struggle a lot of times too.

It's not a knock on the guy. I'm a big fan of his. He's a great teammate and I truly believe he has helped Ryan Tannehill in certain ways. But he is what he is. I have no doubt he can help us in these final 3 games. He's capable, but he's not someone you can really lean on.

As for wins being a QB stat, I've always argued against that. It's what people who don't know any better do.

8. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I'd think this was satire if you weren't so solemn in your delivery.

Don't bring up 2 RZ scores? Does Tannehill being the #1 Redzone QB this season not matter? Tannehill's Red Zone efficiency this season has been best in the league: 30 of 44 (68.2%) for 224 yards, 11 TDs and 0 INTs for a PR of 119.7.

More "meaningless stats" I suppose.

Only thing ludicrous is your take on that game. You must think Moore was terrible on his 2 completions on that final drive as well as Stills had to bail out both passes.

miami365, Superself, resnor and 6 others like this.
  9. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I still can't get over Finster refusing to credit Tannehill for two touchdown passes near the goal line because they were short throws. How dare he execute the offense to perfection!

miami365, Superself, resnor and 6 others like this.
  10. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    So we should discount Moore's bad years as rookies/young guy in a shatty situation, but Tannehill should get no such consideration under Philbin... ok...

All Philbin did was solidify the opinion that yet another coaching staff didn't see enough from Moore to warrant serious consideration to the point of bringing in a hack like Garrard. I think Philbin and his staff of cronies was terrible, but Moore has done himself no favors when he's had the opportunity to impress coaches and evaluators...

resnor likes this.
  11. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Wow. what a ****ing mic drop. I didnt know about that. Awesome.

resnor and cuchulainn like this.
  12. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Yup.

Number 1 in red zone.
    Number 8 in yards per attempt.
    Number 7 in completion percentage.

His YPA, completion %, and passer rating are all career highs.

Thankful for Adam Gase for recognizing the talent and not giving up on him. We're in good hands with Adam in charge.

13. LI phinfan

Nov 6, 2013
    You know what else burns me. I took my family to Baltimore to watch the Dolphins. Probably heading to Met life on Saturday in miserable weather to cheer them on. Does anybody think I am gonna not cheer because of who is at QB....I don't give a RAT'S A** who is QB!!!Gonna be a Dolphin fan, all day, everyday. But we got someone who is sure there is plenty of fear and hate for Moore....SMDH in disgust

14. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Amen. I hope Matt throws 6 touchdown passes Saturday. Winning (especially against the ****ing Jets) is all I care about.

Have fun at the game, bro. Hopefully this one turns out better than the Baltimore game!

15. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Check your facts...

Moore was signed end of July and participated in ALL August camps and played in all 4 pre-season games in 2011. He didn't get thrust into anything until Henne went down during the Chargers game at the start of Oct... his first 4 games he threw 1 TD and 4 INTS. It wasn't until his 5th game that he started to play better but he fumbled and turned the ball over at an alarming rate.

Stop spinning.

resnor likes this.
  16. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    If they'd been INTS or a 100 yard pick 6 like Moore threw against the jets his first game facing them, you'd have heard all about it though.

This is getting crazy... Sat needs to CTFO...

resnor likes this.
  17. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Silly Rocky, he should have sprinted back to the 50 to make it a challenge. Any real QB would do that.

Superself, resnor and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  18. seekerone

seekerone Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Both Moore and RT are very good QBs in my opinion. They don't really compare to each other since they have very different approaches and abilities. Some of that may have blended over the years being in the same QB room. I was little uncomfortable when they decided to start Gerrard, and then Tannehill over Moore back in 2012. But RT showed he could compete. He was playing with a blah OL and there was a lot of debate around dropped balls/receiver talent, and he still managed to show some sparks as a rookie. I felt that Moore, like RT has never had a better than average supporting cast and a lot of unanswered questions remain about his perceived /true talent level. But he's got to have some rust. Anyone know if Matt's had a preferred receiver in practices this year? Has he been hooking up mostly with Carroo? It'll be interesting to see who he has good chemistry with and if the coaches allow adjustment for that.

resnor and cuchulainn like this.
  19. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...the-game-for-passing-yards-or-touchdowns.html

Ryan Tannehill: Judge me on wins

20. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Those who say the QB should only be judged by their wins and losses are wrong. Those who say you should never take into account wins and losses are also wrong. It has its place. Over a single season no. But over a career, yes.

dolphin25 and keypusher like this.
  21. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    resnor, cuchulainn and SICK like this.
  22. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Tannehill saying he personally wants people to judge him on wins doesn't make 'winning' a 'QB statistic', Nor does it disprove what Rocky said. What is he gonna say to the public? Judge me on QBR? TDs? YPG? Come on. He also went on to say there are other ways to win games than just the QB showing up and putting up numbers.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    resnor likes this.
  23. Hoops

Hoops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    credit 3 things for ryan tannehills red zone #s...well four if you actually count the damn qb is really good

better play design and personnel usage/formations by adam gase and his oc clyde Christenson, tannehill throws a better fade which is a product of better foot work and mechanics being FINALLY coached at his position by competence, and third we aren't running those option route fades with pedestrians like brian hartline who frankly wasted red zone downs

also gase seems to have taken out the corner route which is the one route that tanny to date has shown he has trouble with and I have seen little to no usage with gase...can air mail the corner in prior years

he throws a game tape proven plus everything else

miami365, resnor and cuchulainn like this.
  24. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I don't think he hates him, just not sold on him as some fans on here are.

For people on here to not think Tannehill has ever under gone questionable play by fans, the NFL, and the coaches is not accurate.

Fin-O likes this.
  25. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    Probably a good thing for Brady you weren't Belicheck when he had Bledsoe.

26. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    I do believe a certain other QB was granted 6 games by a certain message board.

27. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Anti-Homer

Mar 14, 2015
    He was signed on July 28th, 2011 bro.

Thanks for playing though. Again, someone like yourself expects a guy to come in after missing mini-camp and much of TC expected to really give Henne a push. #SMDH Correction: He came in on the eve of TC.

It would one thing if we signed him at the start of FA, but that didn't happen now did it?

28. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Again, no one said Tannehill was some perfect, elite quarterback. We said when he got some better coaching, and some help from his teammates, that he'd be very good. He got that help, and proceeded to set career highs and has been the leader of the team that is destined for it's first winning season in 8 years.

cuchulainn and resnor like this.
  29. LI phinfan

Nov 6, 2013
    Why can't he answer for himself 25? You saw the Cardinal game, do you feel his "criticism " was anyway fair... or do you see it as most do? Biased and borderline hateful?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Yeah... that's what I said... bro.

And you completely spun the rest of it and ignored his PS play.

resnor likes this.
  31. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    LMFAO. dead.

Good thing Brady was a 9 year career backup with 1:1 career td:int right? OH WAIT.

FOH

32. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Anti-Homer

Mar 14, 2015
    Not spinning anything. It's called being logical. You bring a guy in on the eve of training camp and expect him to push Henne? There was no way that was happening. He wasn't even getting reps with the 1's. Sparano was going down with the ship with Henne barring injury.

dolphin25 likes this.
  33. iamtiv

iamtiv Active Member

Aug 22, 2013
    I remember it being reported that Ryan Tannehill was playing better football, picking up Mike Sherman's offense (gee, I wonder why Sherman was brought in to be OC? [sarcasm]) than Matt Moore. David Garrard was signed to be the starting QB but couldn't make it 2 weeks without shredding knee and ending his career.

Now, it's hard to say if Moore even had a fair shot. You hire Tannehill's college coach to be the OC of the Dolphins, who instills a college system for Tannehill to run (you all remember our nightmares with Mike Sherman) and Matt Moore is slower than Tannehill to pick it up (because it was practically what Tannehill ran at Texas A&M. ) and the rest is history. There was no real open competition during the 2012 training camp. Garrard would've started and Moore would've been 3rd string. Had Garrard not gotten hurt, Matt Moore wouldn've been gone years ago, in all likelihood.

dolphin25 likes this.
  34. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    If Moore can get us to score in the teens ill be happy. That's pretty much what you want out of a backup. The jets game is on the defense. They need to play their best down the stretch. Hopefully Moore can stay away from the interceptions otherwise he'll need to be in the twenties

35. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Yeah, you have been and you keep reframing your argument and standing up strawmen. I didn't say or expect any of that. And don't council me on "logic". It's not your forte.

Now just stop. Moore was already a 3 year vet when they brought him in at the end of July and he competed in the August TCs and all throughout PS. He actually played better than Henne in PS as I recall. He also got work all through Sep and stepped in when Henne went down in Oct. He struggled all thru Oct throwing 1 TD and 4 picks including a 100 yard Pick 6 to Revis. Those are the facts and that was what I said.

The rest of it is your own spin and you moving the goal posts.

resnor likes this.
  36. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Here's the problem with all this "Moore didn't get a fair shot" blather - 2 time SuperBowl winning HC coach John Fox was his coach in Carolina. Moore was there from 2007 to 2010 before they ever drafted Jimmy Clausen. Did he beat out Clausen? No. Also, he was throwing the ball to borderline HOF WR, Steve Smith, and he had Jon Stewart, De Williams, and Mike Goodson. Why didn't Moore secure the starting QB role there?

Same thing when he came here. He was already a 3 year vet and he played well enough to push Henne in PS. Sparano stuck with Henne though and when he went down, once again Moore had his opportunity to shine and lock down the starting job. Didn't happen. Rest is history.

All that matters now is whether Moore can help us win 2 of the next 3 and get into the playoffs. That's the bottom line. Just win 2 games. He should be able to do that. The stars are aligned.

Superself and resnor like this.
  37. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Anti-Homer

Mar 14, 2015
    You forget he sufffered a concussion and played thru a torn labrum that final year in Carolina. However, it was only natural they drafted a guy to try and double down on the position in case Moore was a fluke, hence Clausen on the team. That Fox regime was a dead man walking.

Nope. There was never a real competition. You keep thinking that though. Life intervened and Moore got playing time to show he was the better QB.

38. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Anti-Homer

Mar 14, 2015
    You can't recall for sh- when it comes to this Moore situation.

39. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Drew Brees.

Not saying Moore is Brees. Far from it.

But it's happened.

Moore ... Man we'll find out won't we. Lucky it's the friggin Jets so he'll have a layup to start with. If Gase can do his thing we have a chance

40. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Anti-Homer

Mar 14, 2015
    Even as the team MVP in 2011, I don't fault the Dolphins for drafting someone. This was quite a bit more though since he was a Top 10 pick and we brought his head coach to be his OC, along with their playbook. How often do you see that?

My beef was with the signing of Garrard.