1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wildcard breakdown (Long)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by TheDon, Nov 20, 2009.

1. TheDon

TheDon New Member

Nov 3, 2009
    (This is a thread I started on FinHeaven and thought you guys might enjoy)

I've seen about 20 different threads talking about how we can still win the division (I'm guilty of doing one myself and stick by it as a possibility) So I got curious about the wildcard scenario for us. I did these in the order in which everyone currently stands for the two wildcard spots.

* currently own spot

*Steelers 6-3 Remaining teams record 25-39 (-14)
    @KC, @Bal, Oak, @Cle, GB, Bal, Mia

So they sit in 1st for the wildcard and have the easiest schedule the rest of the way. I'm thinking they have one of the spots locked down and I'm hoping they win out (besides our game). With 2 games still remaining against Baltimore they can knock the Ravens out of the way for us. With any luck they have their seed locked up and are sitting starters come week 17.

*Chargers 6-3 Remaining teams record 28-35 (-7)
    @Den, KC, @Cle, @Dal, Cin, @Tenn, Wash

They play Denver this weekend for the AFC West lead so this spot will be occupied by Den or SD come Monday. I am pulling for the Chargers to win because for one they own the tie breaker against us and I would rather just see them out of the wildcard and into the divisional leader column. The other reason is if Denver losses this game I can see them going into a total tailspin the rest of the way. Plus SD as you can see has the 2nd easiest schedule the rest of the way so them out of this race is most likely best for us. Oh and Chris Sims is starting for Denver so I really see the wheels coming off that team down the stretch.

Jags 5-4 Remaining teams record 33-31 (+2)
    Buf, @SF, Hou, Mia, Indy, @NE, @Cle

We get to go heads up with them and they still have to play Indy, Hou and @NE. I feel pretty good about them falling out of the way

Ravens 5-4 Remaining teams record 33-30 (+3)
    Indy, Pitt, @GB, Det, Chi, @Pitt, @Oak

If the Steelers can beat them twice for us it would be great plus they have Indy this week.

Texans 5-4 Remaining teams record 32-32 (E)
    Tenn, Indy, @Jax, Sea, @Stl, @Mia, NE

Again we get to play them heads up and they still have Indy and NE

Dolphins 5-5 Remaining teams record 28-26 (+2)
    @Buf, NE, @Jax, @Tenn, Hou, Pitt

Well non of this matters if we don't take care of our own business. We can maybe afford to lose one more game to stay in this but it better not be against the Jags or Texans or we would really shoot ourselves in the foot.

Jets 4-5 Remaining teams record 35-29 (+6)
    @NE, Car, @Buf, @TB, Atl, @Indy, Cin

Even if they beat NE (doubt it but I hope they do) we of course own the tie breaker and they would still have Cin and @Indy, their done (imo)

So while it's a pretty tough road to hoe it is somewhat in our own hands. We get to play 3 of these guys heads up yet and they play each other a bit and will knock each other off. I understand that one teams loss mean another's win so the combinations would have to fall right.

I'm still of course holding out hope for the division and if your interested in my analysis of how that can happen here the link. I did this before the Jets game and SO FAR it's playing out exactly the way I had hoped and predicted.

GO PHINS!!!

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/f2/w...on-260991.html

mbmonk, gunn34, SeanP and 1 other person like this.
  2. Finsanity

Finsanity New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    City of Angels
    we have a better chance winning our division then the wildcard

3. JMORGAN6977

JMORGAN6977 New Member

Jan 9, 2008
    PHX
    Patriots lose in New Orleans we run the table we win the AFC East. Lets just shoot for that!!!!

4. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    @Buf, NE, @Jax, @Tenn, Hou, Pitt

TheDon likes this.
  5. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    We're in both hunts. I think with us getting out of the woods on that insaneo .800 schedule we had at the first half of the year, we've got a shot to finish strong.

6. siciliansith

siciliansith Resident Deviant

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    I agree sir, but while i didnt expect a superbowl my hopes for a Playoff run are now tempered.

We have gone through extensive injuries! Playoff teams make a run at the end of the season, not sure what we have left. Never give up but it looks tough real tough:up:

If Sparano makes this a Playoff team Im starting the Sparano Mafia, and well win that contest again this yr lol

7. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Plus the Jags upset the jests. haha

8. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    what you really want is the JESTS to beat the PATSIES, then the JAGS to beat the JESTS .... that would give us a little flexibility in case we lose another game .... for either the DIV or WC.

i still don't see us as a legitimate SB contender, unless we can come up with a scheme to cover TEs ... that and our WRs don't scare anyone ... but if they concentrate on making catches - like they did yesterday (even at the cost of YAC), then it makes our passing game at least a threat.

9. TheDon

TheDon New Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Well the Jags beating the Jests already happened last week.