1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wildcat Stats Video

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by anlgp, Oct 20, 2008.

1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Celtkin likes this.
  2. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Nice video. That 10yards/play average took a hit thanks to the Ravens D.

Good thing there's only one team with the Ravens D.

3. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    NFL Video Galleries

If you go to the "coach 'em up" segment that begins at 2:20 you will see that it was handled very well by a 46 Defense with nothing more than a Cover 2 behind it. The Ravens did exactly what everyone knew you had to do versus the formation - PLAY THE RUN.

4. Zod

Nov 25, 2007
    and one other thing......

Mariucci highlights Terrel Suggs at 3:24 in the video. That isn't what impressed me most in this video. What impressed me most was a players reaction to the pulling Dolphins linemen. Look at the DT/DE just inside Terrel Suggs. Watch how fast he recognizes the pull and scrapes down the line. WOW!

5. anlgp

It would work better if we had receivers for other formations. If we were able to spread the 46 out like teams did against the bears it would have been a different story.

Too bad :(

6. Zod

Nov 25, 2007
    This isn't Wildcat. This is single wing. What it shows is that single wing will work in the NFL just as the option would still work in the NFL. The problem with single wing and option has always been that you must have a backup at the QB (for option) and tailback (for single wing) that can do the same things as your starter.

What the use of the single wing has really shown is that some coach should be plucking QB's from Navy and Wofford every year to run option. I would be looking high and low for tailbacks that were former quarterbacks. The NFL passing game is flat out crazy at this point. I believe that it's more difficult to find a Manning or a Brady than find a Tim Tebow (as a freshman). The problem with the running quarterback is that in the past the NFL always attempted to make him something that he wasn't. He is a running quarterback. His backup should be a running quarterback too. Then and only then will I believe that single wing and option do not work in the NFL.

Just look at Tim Tebow for example. He was unstoppable as a freshman and sophmore when he was running the ball. As his importance to the passing game increased, his run attempts (as a percentage) actually decreased. Florida is making him a passing quarterback. Why?

Ultra likes this.
  7. anlgp

I meant in a formation other than the single wing. I remember hearing the way to beat the 46 is to spread them out with decent receivers. G Cam. is probably our best receiver but other than that we don't have any other "go to guy" and so we can't really spread them out.

Jayson Foster is a running QB that we had but dropped him.

8. Zod

Nov 25, 2007
    We are not on the same page......

They didn't play 46 the entire game. It's a package deal similar to "Wildcat". When we went "Wildcat", they went "46". To do what you describe, Ronnie Brown would have to do the picking apart of the secondary. That ain't happening.

The 46 was nothing more than an extension of the 43 defense. Buddy Ryan actually ran a 43 defense. The Bears used 46 to stop the run. The basic key to the defense was to jam the crap out of your worst receiver (the TE) and take away his effectiveness in blocking for the running game. They jammed him with a strong safety. They moved the strong safety up to a linebacker depth to fill the linebackers role at that depth. The linebacker was now free to blitz outside in a containment role.

The offensive response was not to give you a "worst receiver" - spread. Now the defensive answer to "no worst receiver" was to move the linebacker back off the line and thus moving the strong safety back to his normal depth.

Now if I have not lost you already let's move to the line. The 86 bears shifted to the "under" formation in the 43. To the untrained eye it looks just like a 34 defense because a DT is now head up on the center. The other DT is now head up on a tackle and the a DE is now on a tackle. Only one DE actually has contain responsibility. That is the DE on the backside. They shifted "under" the TE. They didn't shift "over" the TE. They shifted "under" the TE. The other contain man to the TE side is a linebacker that has moved up on the line. He and the strong safety now play the TE side.

Now if you understand the importance of the TE to the running game, you understand the importance of the TE to the 46. Without a TE, there is no 46. It becomes nothing more than a 34 or 43 defense with a coverage behind it.

anlgp likes this.
  9. anlgp

Thanks. I get what you're saying.