1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wilford's value lies beyond the stat line

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Apr 8, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
  2. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Thanks AT.. I wonder where Hugo is.. haven't seen him in a couple days it seems.

3. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    He posted yesterdays article regarding the defensive line, but I haven't seen him since. He's prolly just busy doing work stuff.

cnc66 likes this.
  4. sws84

sws84 Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    Actually, I am kind of excited about Wilford. I thought I read somewhere that he has a really bad ankle that has been giving him trouble over the years. If he can stay healthy, I think he can helps us.

Steve :)

JCowScot and cnc66 like this.
  5. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Truth to be told, I'm not really buying into that pass attempt argument - the Steelers had even less attempts and that didn't stop Ward and Holmes from putting up considerably better numbers. In addition, the claim that seven teams had "more than twice as many aerial attempts" is just plain wrong - not a single team did have nearly as many attempts. Also consider that Jacksonville ranked 6th in YPA.

That said, I'm by no means trying to argue that Wilford was a bad signing. He wasn't. But that stat argument is seriously flawed.

6. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    That's basically what it all boils down to right there.

7. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    All Wilford has to do is use his size to get position in the redzone and he'll be worth every penny we pay him. He may not be the fastest guy on the planet, but he's certainly not afraid to muscle people around.

8. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Wilford is a role player. A very important role player, who probabaly isnt out of position starting, but he's not going to be comparable with your average WR because he's there for the possession work.

I think besides the running thing in Jacksonville, it's noteworthy to consider the offense already had tons of players like him. Reggie Williams and Matt Jones also occupy the exact same role, and took opportunities he would normally would be the guy for doing what he does.

9. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Personally thats why I was excited to get him. It seemed every time JVille was on the guy was making some kind of ball moving grab. Hes not gonna post huge numbers, but he gives our QB a big target to hit in the red zone or to keep the chains moving.

10. JCowScot

JCowScot So funky the dead dance

Mar 22, 2008
    FLA USA
    I want to say a big 'THANK YOU' to everyone who has posted in this thread.:hi5: :thankyou:
    It's sooo nice for a parent when their boy gets recognized for his talents by the masses. :clap: :lol:

Now that sucka better not let me down, else he's gonna getta whuppin' when he gets home!:deadhorse:

11. larfo2224

larfo2224 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Box Elder, South Dakota
    Maybe his productivity will increase if we use Ted Ginn Jr. as a legitimate down field threat. Having a speedy wide receiver like that to stretch the defense should open up the middle routes. Personally, I think it's a good signing and will produce positive numbers for the offense.

12. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I've got high hopes for this kid, Beck needs a big, reliable target to move the chains. Ginn will help stretch the field, set things up for the short game to Wilford. Now if we can only get Hagan to catch the easy passes.

13. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Word on the street is that the Dolphins got him at a bargain because he wouldn't have passed his physical otherwise.

ATVZ400 likes this.
  14. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    Good read bro

15. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ

that's not good news.. I hope his ankle problems are behind him