1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wilkins extension a priority

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finatik, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    Miami defensive tackle Christian Wilkins is heading into the fifth and final year of his rookie contract, and the Dolphins would like to remove any doubt about where his long-term future is. Asked at the league meeting whether a long-term contract extension has been discussed, Dolphins head coach Mike McDaniel said it’s a top priority.

“Oh yeah,” McDaniel said, via the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. “Constant conversations.”

McDaniel said that Dolphins General Manager Chris Grier and the rest of the front office are in regular contact with Wilkins’ agent.

“That’s a priority of ours, and that’s something that a group of people have to work together to do something that makes the most sense for the individual and the team,” McDaniel said.

If Wilkins plays this season on his fifth-year option, he’ll make $10.753 million this season and that will be his salary cap hit. The Dolphins don’t have much cap space and would like to reduce that number, which they can do by signing Wilkins to an extension that includes a big signing bonus but a small 2023 base salary. A lucrative extension makes enough sense for both sides that it will be surprising if it doesn’t happen.

hitman8 likes this.
  2. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    agree

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Def a player I underestimated..thought he would be a solid pro but he’s better than solid

He’s proven to be every bit worth that pick

dolphin25 and Tuanon4Life like this.
  4. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I thought his extension was already done. Guess I should read more than just headlines sometimes lol