1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Andrew Franks be our new kicker?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by bbqpitlover, Aug 31, 2015.

1. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    We all saw Andrew Frank make his debut last preseason game as he went 2 for 2 which also included a 51 yard field goal. I found this 10 minute video on youtube and was impressed with the way this kid talks and carries himself. Check it out.
    [video=youtube;K1lRbu9mQPw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1lRbu9mQPw[/video]

2. Phins_Fan_87

Phins_Fan_87 Phins and Heat fan Club Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Weston
    beat writers dont seem to think so

3. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I really hope so. Caleb has been inconsistent since he came on board. Much of that is due to him being injury prone. Franks has a better leg and is getting better all the time. I read that he had no real instruction in college and learned his craft basically on his own. I think he has a bigger upside-who knows how good he can be with some real coaching. The way I see it, at this point he is no worse than Sturgis and can only get better. Sturgis is what he is.

4. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    After watching that video, I'm convinced that he should be the starter over Sturgis. He seems to have a lot of upside to him. I'm rooting for him.

5. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    Staying with Sturgis is the safe pick. If he does well no one questions it. If he doesn't do well it could be questioned but no one could say for certain that Franks was the answer, it was an even gamble.

However, if they take Franks and he does well, that's the big pay off, however, if they take him and he sucks everyone will say they should have given Sturgis another chance, at least he was a known entity.

Basically, I expect they're feeling that they have to be 100% that Franks is the guy or Sturgis isn't the guy in order to pick Frank's. I'm not sure the difference between was that great.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  6. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    To add a little frosting to the cake here is Andrew Franks nailing a 58 yard field goal
    [video=youtube;m0s6TsOAtPc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0s6TsOAtPc[/video]

RickyNeverInhaled likes this.
  7. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I have to re-watch the game, but was one of his kickoffs a little short? Like around the 10-yard line? Or was that Sturgis? I believe it was early in the Falcons game after the first TD.

8. huck1974

huck1974 FU Gene Steratore

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri
    Could have been a coaching decision.

9. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Yes, but it lead to a muffed catch and almost a TO. It was a weird kick that could've been a coach's decision. Throughout the preseason, Franks has been kicking touchbacks way better than Sturgis. Sturgis even kicked one out of bounds already.

If Franks wins the job, it's actually because of his kickoffs.

10. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Is there much difference, or any, in the salary of the 2 kickers? Enough to make a difference in the salary cap?

11. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Ya that was the play the two "returners" ran into each other and it was a fumble.

12. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    Sturgis probably keeps his job due to draft stock, they spent a very high pick on him, and they seem to really put a lot of stock, in draft stock, which is a mistake imo.

13. btfu149

btfu149 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    It was a 5th rounder 2 years ago with a different GM. I hope you're wrong and that doesn't play a factor. Franks looks good

14. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Hopefully....kick Sturgis to the curb, let the degingering of the team continue.

15. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Franks' leg is obviously stronger. Game before last, Sturgis kicked a 49 yarder that barely cleared the crossbar. Franks hit that 51 yarder with enough room to spare it may have been good from 60. Franks' kickoffs more consistently go out of the end zone. I think Sturgis' leg was stronger early in his rookie season than it is now. When he pulled something around the time of the Ravens game that year, he appears to me to have never came back with quite the same strength. Seeing how well Carp is doing in Barfalo just adds salt to the wound of us ever keeping Sturgis over him.

Tin Indian likes this.
  16. MrClean

5th round is a "very high pick"? 5th rounders get cut all the time.

17. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Franks costs less so yes.

18. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Saving money this year means more to spend on keeping our FAs next offseason.

If you ask me whether I'd rather have Franks as our kicker and keep Lamar Miller next offseason, or have Sturgis as our kicker and lose Lamar Miller to Free Agency I will take Franks and Miller every time.

19. MrClean

[video=youtube;DUE11d2jE88]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUE11d2jE88[/video]

20. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

That is the very definition of a false equivalency. Keeping Sturgis has no effect on keeping Lamar Miller or not.

Besides, there is only a $50,000 in salary difference between the two, and Sturgis has $145,000 guaranteed. So cutting him now actually turns into a net loss in money.

21. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    The 5th round is very high for a K.

22. MrClean

Point taken but it still isn't anything that is going to give him a leg up on the job if of itself.

23. Tin Indian

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Sturgis only made 78.4% of his field goals last year. There were only 4 kickers with a worse percentage of field goals made. The year before he was only 76.5%. Those numbers are not good enough. Does that inspire any confidence in anyone? Really how much worse could Franks be than that? And you get a much stronger leg.

With Franks getting real coaching for the first time in a long time I say his needle is pointing up unlike Caleb who appears to be who he is, a sub 80% kicker. That is abysmal.

Ohio Fanatic and Finster like this.
  24. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    I think staying with Sturgis is actually the riskier move. Sure Sturgis is the known vet but typically that means there is something in their game that they do consistently well whether that is kick-offs, PATs or field goals. Sturgis has been inconsistent in all three aspects of the kicking game and can't stay healthy. What happens if we go with Sturgis and then mid-season he gets hurt again? Seems to me Franks floor is what we've gotten from Sturgis the past three seasons and his ceiling could be much higher.

MrClean and Tin Indian like this.
  25. muskrat21

muskrat21 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2014
    trade one of them to jacksonvlle who just traded theirs to pitt.

26. Tin Indian

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    They already had 2 and Scobee wasn't very good either last year.

27. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    Then why is he still here, he kicked his way to the unemployment line the last 2 years, yet here he still is.

28. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Agreed. The idea that his draft slot under a different GM would have any bearing is far-fetched. If anything I think the slightly higher salary (5th round vs. UDFA) is a bigger consideration.

IMO either kicker should be better this year than what we've had the past two seasons. I think Sturgis' inconsistency has been primarily a result of his injuries. He wasn't injury prone in college or inconsistent so I don't know that I'd consider his continuing to be injury prone in the pros or inconsistent as a given or even likely. So even if we stuck with Sturgis I'd expect him to be better. That being said, my understanding is that Franks has a stronger leg. Sturgis has never been great at the longer kicks even in college. The big knock on Franks was his inconsistency early on, but according to Rizzi he's been improving daily. If they feel he's reached a point where his consistency is about on par with Sturgis and he has a stronger leg and is cheaper, I would have to think that Franks gets the nod. Of course, we can't answer that 'IF'. There's been a ton of practices we simply have no info on.

MrClean and Tin Indian like this.
  29. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    Then I pose the same question to you, why is he still here?

30. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    cedric thompson is a 5th rounder who might get cut, so its totally unimportant if you are a kicker or a safety, 5th round picks will get cut

31. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    5th round is a big investment in a K, many, if not most Ks are UDFAs.

32. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Soooooooooooooo, if a 5th round is a lot for a kicker, why do you claim a great punter is so much more valuable than an average punter?

33. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    I can't stop laughing, every time I look at that sentence it just keeps getting funnier.

lol, you win.

34. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Saying its funny, cause you got nothing is irrelevant.

I challenge you to think this through, instead of doing whatever it is you think you're doing.

Kickers are more important than punters. And a 5th round pick is high for a kicker in your estimation. So please, tell the class why teams generally wait the 5 th round to draft punters (if they draft them at all) if they are so important.

This is not rocket science.

35. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    B/c he was expected to be consistent once he got through the injury and he was cheap generally and relative to the guy that he replaced. Additionally, most would say that we got rid of Carpenter too quickly after a sub par year so there would be some natural hesitancy to do the same thing again.

36. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    like others have said, that's completely irrelevant.

37. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    If Fields is tossed.........Sturgis can easily be replaced to by this kid.

Tin Indian likes this.
  38. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    We did get rid of Carp after a sub par year, Sturgis is coming off 2 horrible years, he should have been fired, there's no team in the league that keeps a K after 2 sub 80% seasons.

In 2 years ≈ Sturgis has missed 16 kicks, 8 each year, 3 inside of 40, that's pathetic, he should be fired, why would you keep this guy?

If he was an UDFA he probably would have been fired after his first horrible season, and rightfully so, bad Ks are a dime a dozen.

Tin Indian likes this.
  39. Tin Indian

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I think Sturgis hit like his 1st 20 field goals in the regular season his rookie year. Then he strained his leg or something and he hasn't been the same since. While a 5th round investment is alot for a kicker it is not unheard of. However, I think they kept him last year with the belief that if he was healthy his stats would improve. I think it was more to seeing if he would regain form rather than retaining investment.

Just guessing, my .02, for what it's worth, etc..............

VManis and Finster like this.
  40. Tin Indian

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Whichever it is, he needs to go.

Finster likes this.