1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Dimitri Patterson be cut this year?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by invid, Jul 26, 2013.

1. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    I ask because of the rehab of Jamar Taylor and the extra cap space we have. 4.5 million is not that outrageous for a number 2 or 3 corner, it may be better to just hang on to him this year and bite the bullet. I'd feel a lot safer if we had a vet there instead of a rookie who looks to be behind the curve in training camp, plus it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if we eased Jamar Taylor into role this year so that he is ready for the full-weight of his responsibilities next year. Also, considering the way the kicking competition is going, would you feel the same for Dan Carpenter? I know training camp has just begun, but I was wondering what the members of this board's thoughts were on this.

PhinsRock likes this.
  2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Only from what I've read all over, he's having a good camp..

3. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Davis, Taylor, Marshall, and Grimes seem to be the best bets at being on the roster. Carroll seems to be next best bet at a roster based on what coaches were saying heading into camp. If they keep a 6th cb, maybe it is Patterson, but Posey would be cheaper. Then again, they could always cut Patterson later in the season when the rookies seem to be on their own two feet.

PhinsRock likes this.
  4. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Or after the season altogether, no?

5. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Also keep in mind that Nolan Carroll is an excellent special teamer, however, that 3rd corner is important and I think it should come down to who's the best corner, Patterson or Nolan..

6. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    We need preseason reps to look at and isolate.

7. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I don't see a spot on the roster for him. I like Carroll to have a good year, maybe on the boundary. Marshall would play slot in this scenario and him getting cut after this season would allow us to handle bringing Grimes back from a financial perspective coupled with Patterson getting cut this year.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Anonymous likes this.
  8. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    I heard Marshall is having a good camp. Patterson's name not being being mentioned as much as the others. Carroll, Grimes, etc
    Thought his salary was one of the higher ones for CB on this team. Might be something to that, especially if he doesn't flash more often.

9. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Patterson and Marshall are both fine in the slot, but on the outside Marshall is better, so I'd rather have Patterson in the slot.

10. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    If there is going to be a cap casualty on this team it has to be Patterson. I can see it happening. Don't forget he also seems to get injured quite easily.

11. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i hope not, i hope we keep him

12. MrClean

It is also Patterson's best position and if they are our 2nd and 3rd corners, I'd be looking at which alignment gives us the best overall package and IMO that would be Patterson in the slot and Marshall outside, as opposed to the other way around.

13. MrClean

Me too. If we keep our 5 best corners talent wise, he is definitely one of them. If contract enters into the deal, then they may want Carroll or Stanford as the 5th corner because they are cheaper. Patterson may need to prove he is the #3 corner and the starting nickel to make the roster. I'd personally prefer we go that way and bring Taylor and Davis along slowly as we did with Madison and Surtain.

14. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    they may want to roll over the 4.5 million over to next years cap, but me personally i hope we save the money elsewhere,is there a special date X where we have to move the money over ?

15. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    After the draft I thought Pattersn was gone. But Jamar Taylor's durability is an issue.

Scouts knew one of the big question marks with Taylor was being able to stay healthy - red-shirt season from a knee injury, missed 5 games the following year with stress fractures. We just drafted the guy in April and within 3 months have already heard reports of how poorly his kidneys function, now he's missing camp due to a hernia...and there hasn't even been any full-contact football yet, let alone the daily grind at this level. Leaving Patterson off the roster might make us too thin at CB given the questions about Taylor being healthy week in and week out.

Thankfully, it seems that the staff and media feel really good about Grimes, coming off that achilles. His recovery to being a legit #1 CB was a big question for me, and one that appears to have been answered at this point. That ease of mind balances out Taylor's issues at least a little.

Personally, I just simply think that Patterson's play doesn't warrant that salary - in a vacuum, regardless of roster need, his play doesn't match the dollar signs, and therefore is not worth keeping. I'd leave him off the roster and roll ahead with Grimes, Marshall, hopefully Taylor most weeks, Davis (who I love, confident he'll pan out soon), and Carroll.

16. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i can´t remember did we keep 5 or 6 CB´s last year ?

17. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

6 in my estimation.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

18. MrClean

At the start of the regular season, I recall our corners being Smith, Marshall, Carroll, Stanford with Wilson sort of swing player who could play both safety or corner. After Marshall went out, we eventually added Bryan McCann. When Carroll got hurt we signed Patterson. The safeties were Jones, Clemons, and Nolan at the start. Later we added Amaya and cut Nolan, and then cut Amaya and signed Culver for a few weeks.
    So near as I can tell we went into the season with 8 DBs and at the end had 9 after Carroll got hurt but wasn't IR'd when Patterson was signed.

19. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Maybe, but if they wait until after the season has started, his salary and cap figures will be guaranteed... We'll just have to see how Taylor comes on when he gets healthy. It's got to be frustrating for him at this point. Wonder if they consider putting him on IR so as not to lose him. I mean, there's no way the can chance putting him on the PS because someone would/could snap him up...

20. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That seems correct. They also had Julian Posey on the 53 man roster for the last two games I believe.

21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Patterson flashed last year, that's all I know..I want the best corner, I don't think Nolan can hang.

MrClean likes this.
  22. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    That's the biggest camp battle :

Patterson vs Carroll and the rest vs Taylor and Davis

Think about the money we'll have to spend to keep Jones,Grimes,Starks or Soliai,Keller,Clabo, etc.... Patterson's contract is toast bruh. The way i see it, He's insurance for our two recovering starters, ( and Taylor apparently ) I'm sure we can field 5 good Cbs without him if we avoid injuries,setbacks.

23. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    If you judge by today's tweets it certainly sounds like he's not going to be cut. I think that's a shame.

24. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    A shame he's playing well and won't got cut?

Is there someone below him you feel should get more time?

MrClean, mroz and Anonymous like this.
  25. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    What CBs are you wanting to go into the season with? Grimes, Marshall, Davis and Taylor? I think Patterson needs to stick.

26. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    For one thing he's set to make like $4.5 million this year which is a big chunk of change. There's no cap charge for cutting him so getting rid of him would give the Dolphins $4.5 million more cap space to be used whichever year they want (since all cap space can be rolled forward now). If the Dolphins can't do that, that would be a shame.

For another, he's primarily been a slot corner in his career. That's where he has been at his best. When he's been asked to play the outside, he has struggled. The Dolphins have one of those guys already, Richard Marshall. It's ok to have two of those guys if at least one of them is cheap. But that's not the case here. Marshall is expensive and Patterson is expensive. So having both of them involved in nickel would mean one has to play a position where he's not all that good. That's a shame.

Lastly, the Dolphins just drafted a guy in the 2nd round, and then gave up some picks to move back up into the 3rd round, to get TWO young corners. And that's with having Nolan Carroll (who took 650+ snaps last year) still on roster. If despite all that we still need to keep a $4.5 million corner to play the outside in nickel when he's not even very good at playing the outside in nickel, there's a suggestion that perhaps the Dolphins didn't use their off season resources in the most efficient manner possible. And that would be a shame.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  27. SF Dolfan

SF Dolfan New Member

May 3, 2008
    I believe the ideal scenario going in was Grimes comes in healthy and ready and Taylor comes in and plays himself into the other outside CB spot. Marshall would then take the slot and Patterson gets cut since we are on the hook for pro-rated bonus money with Marshall and not for Patterson. Will Davis would be the developmental guy. Unfortunately, it hasn't gone that way since Taylor has been out.

Right now, Patterson could very well be the second best CB on the roster. I agree it's unfortunate that he's much better in the slot, but I don't believe 4.5 million for a top tier slot guy is completely unreasonable. The guy was quite good in Philly and for the first year or two in Cleveland before they signed him to that extension. If I recall, Marshall played a lot on the outside last season before he got hurt. I wouldn't be shocked if he plays outside along with Grimes while Patterson mans the slot. If he plays out camp as one of the clear-cut top 3 guys, I absolutely keep him. If Davis or Taylor outshine him then that's a different story. Carroll is ok, but I don't believe he should be anything more than depth in a high performing secondary.

I just don't see him playing his way onto the team as a bad thing. My question for you is what if he outperforms Marshall? Is there any scenario you see in which Patterson stays and Marshall goes? Cutting salary does give us a better shot at keeping Grimes next year...

28. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    You're not paying $4.5 million for a top tier slot guy because he's not playing the slot!

29. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    ATM he is playing nickel and/or starting cb. I'm okay paying the money especially when the rookies are locked up long term.

Give me the best CBs with Brady in division

SF Dolfan, Claymore95 and MrClean like this.
  30. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Why not?

31. MrClean

Where would Patterson, our $4.5 mil slot corner, be playing if not in the slot?

32. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area

I hate it when our players play well…

SF Dolfan and MrClean like this.
  33. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Outside… duh… lol

34. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'd hope our coaches aren't putting players at certain positions based on their salaries instead of their talent. Any coach that would do that is incompetent.

35. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Philbin says that the dude is having a very good camp..cat quick, kinda like the flashes we saw last year..

36. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Just curious, what did we see last year from him? He didn't even make it through 2 games with us. Before that, he was injured in Cleveland and supposedly did not come back for monetary reasons if I recall (could be mistaken here). We know he can play the slot but his health and attitude seem to be question marks. It just seems to me that 4.5 mil is a lot of money for a player like Patterson.

ckparrothead likes this.
  37. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Hopefully, since its very early, Taylor will heal and play like we think that he's capable, and Patterson will be cut before the season, as he's not needed to fight for the 4th or 5th spot with Carroll. As others said, not only do we save his 5 mil salary next year, but we can roll over his 4.5 from this year t next year's cap as well. Nine mil more than whats "on the books". We have a lot of players who are a lot more important to sign.

38. MrClean

I never thought I'd see the day when Dolphins fans hope for players on the team to play bad enough to be cut.

39. SF Dolfan

SF Dolfan New Member

May 3, 2008
    You're right that there is no way he will make the team as the 4th or 5th corner. That's way too expensive. But Patterson isn't our 4th or 5th CB. He's #2 or 3 right now. If he continues to play at that level, I don't think 4.5 million is totally unreasonable. The guy is playing well and has a decent track record outside of when he was beat up last year in Cleveland. If he plays out camp as the second best corner after Grimes, why do we want to cut him? It's a passing league, we play Brady twice a year, Grimes is coming off a major injury, and $4.5 million isn't crippling. I feel like it's important to come out and compete this year. The organization seemed to build some momentum this offseason and the only way to sustain it is to go out and win games. I would do my best to keep the best players. Davis doesn't seem ready and Taylor is injured. If Taylor comes back and sets the world on fire, Patterson or Marshall should go. If not, give yourself the best chance to win.

40. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    If cutting Patterson now means that we resign Grimes and Jones next offseason, isnt that worh it? Just an example.