1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will we get a non-compensatory pick?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by taaff, Apr 6, 2008.

1. taaff

taaff Season Ticket Holder

Dec 7, 2007
    With the compensatory picks and forfeits, there are presently only 252 picks. There can not be any more compensatory picks, as all allowed 32 have been given out. There are always 255 picks in a draft, which leaves the draft 3 picks short of completion---so should not Miami, under the rules of an assumed 8th round, get the first pick of that assumed round, which would then give us the 253rd pick of this draft?

I believe it does.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  2. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I believe the top three teams, relative to draft order, would get those extra picks. So we would get 253, Rams get 254, and Falcons get 255.

3. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I don't think we will, as I've not heard any of the media outlets talk about any 'extra picks at the end of the draft...and what would it be, the 8th round ?? Wouldn't the picks listed on NFL.com have them listed, if in fact they were inclined to give them to Miami, Rams, and Atlanta ???

4. phineas64

phineas64 Season Ticket Holder

If they are given out, they would be listed as 7th rounders still. Not every round has to have the same number of picks. I don't know if these picks are going to happen, although I have heard this rumor of a set number of 255 picks from other outlets also. Must be something other than high hopes, right?

5. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I believe it may be affected also by the loss of the Pats' 1st round pick, lowering it only by one though. Interesting idea, but in reality when you're drafting that far back, you would likely be able to sign anyone you would pick there as a UDFA no? Of course it means that UDFA could say no and go elsewhere too.

6. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Nothing official yet, I did go back to the 2007 draft and noticed the last two picks were Oakland and Detroit.... they started the draft in that order of course, so that leads me to believe they were short two picks last year and they added Oakland and Detroit to make 255 picks.

7. miamitd13

miamitd13 Junior Member

Dec 10, 2007
    The 49ers forfeited a pick as well this year due to the tampering charges and I believe there was a suplemental draft choice or two last year that affects this years draft count as well.

Here's to hoping we find out othewise though and get an additional pick....

8. Nublar7

Nublar7 Senior Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    There was some missinformation on what the CBA actually says. It turns out that the rule that the draft needed to be 255 picks was false. The compensatory picks that were handed out are the only ones that will be. The draft for the first time, will be below 255 selections and will only have 252 picks.

9. taaff

taaff Season Ticket Holder

Dec 7, 2007

Well, that answers the question. Too bad, I was looking forward to that extra pick.

10. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    Look at the bright side...

Of course you run the risk of losing the player you wouldve chosen at that spot to another team...

BUT here's the good part ...say you liked those 3 guys (253-255) or 2 figuring we'd get one for sure...now you can pick them all up as UDFA! Why settle for one?

:up:

11. Miamifan1354

Miamifan1354 Not Good Enough.

Jan 3, 2008
    This is pretty much a non issue to me. If you want a guy that late, you offer him a decent contract as an UDFA and he'll sign. There is usually a short burst of guys signed after the draft, and if you want a guy, you just offer him a little more money.