1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wimbledon - Strangest Day in Grand Slam History

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Huge tennis fan - since 1972. I've had a lot of joys and a lot of disappointments as a fan.

But, this day had to be the strangest day in 40+ years of watching tennis. And, the darkest and most disappointing (from a sports standpoint).

6 players bow out with injury - and arguably the two most popular players and two of the best (Federer and Sharapova) gone. Just incredible.

Federer had reached 36 straight quarterfinal matches (9 years worth) ... and he bows out in 2nd round. Stunning. That guy who beat him played as good as anyone could have (though Fed had a number of bad errors - he could not return the guy's serve).

Paul 13 likes this.
  2. Oghma

Oghma Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Scotland
    The good news for me is that Murray should be all but a lock for a showdown with Djoko in the final. That will be good tennis plus give me a local interest

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Da 'Fins likes this.
  3. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    thats crazy

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Used to love tennis in the 80's with Conners/Mac/Lendl/Navratolova/Everett-Lloyd.

Thought it got a bit boring when Sampras was on top

5. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Yeah this Wimbledon has been absolutely wacky thus far. Sad not seeing Fed advance though, as well as Nadal.

I am hoping that Dustin Brown can make some noise though now haha

6. btfu149

btfu149 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Djokovic! Hope he adds to the hardware this tournament has been crazy though

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Loong day of coverage today..wow.

Tour is about to start..:woot:

8. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    It wasn't the greatest final in Wimbledon history, but I have to admit I "had something in my eye" when Murray won and became the first person from Britain to win there in 77 years. And not only that, but he's Scottish as well, which is where the emotion really came to the fore from for me.

:theman:

9. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    It may not have been a 5 set match but that was a damn good match. Really happy for Andy & glad he beat a quality opponent to finally come on top at Wimbledon. That was an awesome Grand Slam.

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Thought it was very entertaining, thought Andy Murray was running out of gas but he pulled it out.

11. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    [video=youtube;bDeTbWO8JzM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDeTbWO8JzM[/video] This guy from LMFAO tried to qualify for the US Open

12. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Congrats!

As a longtime tennis diehard - really elated for Murray, Scotland and all of Great Britain. The fain turnout at various venues around GB and at Wimbledon was really impressive. Was very much rooting for him even though I like Djoker a good bit. But, Murray's been a great player and deserved a Wimbledon title.

It was a brutal match b/c of both the on court temp (104) and the long heavy rallies. Neither played their best (I suspect had they been a bit more rested without the tough semis/quarters and the temp been less severe it would have been an A+ level match). But, clearly these are the two best players in the world at this point - as far as all-around court game. Enjoy this now as it probably won't last but a couple more years before young guys come up and steal the show.

I am very old-school in nearly every sport. Loved the Connors/Mac/Borg era and then the Agassi-Sampras era. But, there is no doubt imo that this is the greatest era with the 'Big Four' (Fed, Rafa, Murray, Djoker). And, one has to appreciate the class of each player in both winning and losing they always show respect to their opponent. But, that class doesn't lessen their competitive juices. It doesn't make for big headlines but I will take that any day over the annoying cat-fights on the woman's side.

I think Djokovic will be favored at the US Open and hope he can win it (though it's tough for me to root against Fed if he gets in a match with Djoker).

Claymore95 likes this.
  13. btfu149

btfu149 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Congrats on a Scottish champion Claymore! I really have to admit I don't really like Murray (says a lot of dumb stuff, has a hot gf but got dumped because he plays way too many video games, plays too defensive for my taste), but it was a really cool thing to see the drought finally end. As a Novak fan it was a bummer though.......we shall see what happens in the US Open!!!

On a side note did you hear them saying that his brother Jamie was actually the better prospect for awhile I guess the LTA messed up his forehand and that's why Andy elected to train in Spain