1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 Beta to Vista

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Jt0323, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I have Windows Vista 7 Beta and want to go back to my Vista, anyone know how i can go back to vista?

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Isn't Windows 7 just vista with a different name :shifty:

to answer your question. no i don't know how.

3. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Probably need a format and a full install of Vista.

4. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

oh like that yeah.

just pop the vista disc you want in and follow the instructions. it should set you up. if you don't have the old vista disc you want you're fubared

5. screamer

screamer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    United States
    what did you think of "7"?

6. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    I am running Window 7 in Virtual Box as I type this. I do have to admit that it's not too bad......yet. I am running it through the usual test and seeing if the problems that plagued Vista are fixed. I will let you know what I think about it after I finish playing around with it a couple of days.

opfinistic and screamer like this.
  7. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    You are best to clean install vista if you want to downgrade. Even when I upgrade or simply reinstall OS's, clean installing is the best way to go. Just back up all of your documents, etc. And have your installation disc's ready to go for your programs.

Since Windows 95-98, I have always clean installed my OS's to avoid any type of driver/dll conflict or files that waste space.

8. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    If you built your system and have a copy of Vista then pop it in and reinstall. If this system is a HP, Compaq, or one of those mass produced machines then that's a different story.

Most of those systems don't come with a recovery disk anymore. The recovery information is stored on a separate partition that can be accessed with an F key at boot up.

If you still have that partition, then you are good to go. If you totally reformatted the whole hard drive when you installed 7, then you may be screwed.

There are other ways around it. One of those is to take this opportunity to try a Linux distro. The second is illegal and requires an eye patch and you have to introduce "ARRRRRR" and "matey" into your vocabulary.

I forgot to add the option of dishing out hard earned cash for another copy of Vista.

anlgp likes this.
  9. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    The more recent pcs I bought: A compaq laptop a few years back, a gateway desktop less than a year ago, and a gateway laptop have operating system CDs instead of system restore CDs.

10. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Have you tried doing a reformat with them?

When reformatting:
    -do you have to load your own drivers
    -is there other software already installed such as Compaq stuff, trial Microsoft Office, etc

11. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    No bloatware. It is a Windows installation disk. For the most part, Windows usually detects the drivers on its own. Otherwise both Gateway and HP usually provides a SEPARATE software/driver library CD where you can reinstall the drivers. That is what I did when I installed Windows Vista 64-bit to my Gateway desktop.

12. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    This is a new one on me.