1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 Question

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by GridIronKing34, Nov 2, 2009.

1. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    So I am in the process of building a PC (pretty much have it put together) and I need an operating system. Microsoft is offering Windows 7 to students for $29.99

http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/software/windows-7.aspx

My questions are the following:

- Is this just an upgrade from Vista/XP or can I do a fresh install on the new PC I built?
    - IF it is just an upgrade, can I use the product key from my laptop's OS (which has Vista) and do a fresh install that way?

I appreciate any responses, thanks!

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

3. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    There will be a stand alone full install and upgrade, as there is for every new version of windows.

If you buy the upgrade, you will be given a new CD-Key. If you buy the upgrade online, I imagine that prior to installing Windows 7, MS will authenticate your current version first. Either way, you will be issued a CD-KEY I imagine.

My recommendation is still XP 64 bit. Too many compatibility issues with Vista and Win7. If you are building a gaming rig, I'd go with Win7 to fully take advantage of DirectX10 and soon DirectX11 graphic capabilities.

GridIronKing34 likes this.
  4. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    You should be able to do a fresh install either way. Just pick the right option. I can't remember off the top of my head, but there is an option to do fresh install. Go Win 7 all the way.

GridIronKing34 likes this.