1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 8 Install Help

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Tone_E, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Currently on Win7. I figured this would be the best place to ask a few questions. Last night my cpu had some virus. Only showed up after I booted, nothing showed the last time i used it, just on yesterday's boot. The thing was an svchost.exe virus that kept infecting continuously. My task manager wouldn't work. Virus scanner wouldn't work, etc. Long story short I cleaned it and have my cpu running back to normal. But, I am not completely sure all traces are completely removed and since I bank on my CPU I want to format fresh anyway, just in case. I hate the feeling of being compromised. Enter Win8.

1. I have a SSD (C: drive) with windows and Arma 3 only, aside from some other miscellaneous aps like AI Suite, GeForce software, video drivers, etc. On the other I have all my media saved, steam, origin, and all other games installed. If I install Win8 with a DVD and fresh format my C: will it affect the usability of the pre-installed software on my secondary drive or will the registry be updated for instant usability?

2. If I buy Win8 Pro or Ultimate, will I get the equivalent version of Win10 (fee upgrade for Win8 users) or just Win10 basic home edition BS?

2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    A "fresh format" will completely wipe the drive as if nothing had ever been installed. If you want to preserve your current setup, you want to perform an upgrade installation, not a format and installation. I believe by default Windows 8/8.1 will do an upgrade installation if it detects a Windows 7 installation.

You will get the equivalent version of Windows 10 for free.

Unlucky 13, Tone_E and Stitches like this.
  3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    In addition to a Windows 8 install disk you're going to need the following:

10 Galvanized joist hangers
    8 pcs. 1/2” x 6” Zinc-plated lag bolts
    10 pcs. 1/2” x 5” Zinc-plated lag bolts
    16 pcs. 1/2” x 3” Zinc-plated lag bolts
    16d Hot-dipped, galvanized nails for framing
    8d Hot-dipped, galvanized nails for pickets and fascia
    8d Cement-coated nails for plywood

Note: Most of these are optional.

McLovin, CashInFist and Tone_E like this.
  4. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Thanks Des. I'd rather do a fresh format but am wondering about all of the software located on my slave drive (D: drive). Will all that work seamlessly if I format my master (C: drive) when I fresh install Win8? I got Steam, Origin, Office, Adobe Suite, etc on the slave drive.

5. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    What about washers? Do I need washers? Dammit man, this is serious stuff. I need to know. Do I need washers!?

6. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    It won't work seamlessly. There's a ton of things that depend on registry hives on the original native installation of Windows.

Also, no you don't need washers.

McLovin and Tone_E like this.
  7. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Shoot. That's what I thought. Thanks man.

8. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Drive formatting only targets a specific drive. In this case, if you do a format install on your C drive, then everything on your D drive remains unchanged.

9. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    I understand that, give me more credit than that. :) My question is; if I run Excel, Photoshop, or Steam from my slave drive right after a fresh formatted install of win8, will the programs work?

10. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    in a perfect world, yes. in the microsoft world, maybe.

the good thing about office, if it's a newer version, you can do a repair once win 8 is installed and it will re register the programs in the registry.

I would err on the side of them not working, because when you do a fresh install, all the registry links are over written..

MikeHoncho and Tone_E like this.
  11. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    What McLovin said. Just because the program files are on the D drive doesn't mean the reformatted C drive will know how to look for them, or know that they're there. You would have to reinstall.

Just do an upgrade installation. Windows 8.1's upgrade install is just like OS X's normal install; clones all user data, deletes the old install, creates a new install, moves user data back to where it used to be.

Tone_E likes this.
  12. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    I was afraid of that. I'm not big on upgrading, much rather a fresh install. Only way to do it imo. I just don't like the Old_Windows directory.

13. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Old_Windows directory is removable through system cleanup.

Tone_E likes this.