1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winless Season Could Make Cameron The Big Loser!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin Fan In Cali, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-hyde30sbnov30,0,4069399.column

It's a question that's building, like a wave coming toward shore: Does Cam Cameron get a hall pass this entire first season?

Shouldn't he win a game, any game, to offer something more toward the future than some desperately needed continuity?

No one puts 0-11 all on Cameron by any stretch. And no one can think one measly win would suggest he can coach this team out of the wilderness.

2. jcthekid

jcthekid New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Thanks for the read, Cali.
    I'm not a big Hyde fan, but I thought that was a very fair article. I like the point he makes about how you could say some of the bad calls that have come from the sideline are coin-flips......the problem is that they seem to happen all of the time.

3. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Cameron is the worst Head Coach in the history of head coaching in football. That includes College, NFL, JV and Varsity High School leagues, and Little League.

Fire his Butt.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2007
  4. burger13

burger13 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    South Jersey
    for me it is 1 win to save his job.

I'd hate to start over AGAIN after just 1 year...and I think that he deserves more than just 1 year to prove himself.

BUT

If he goes 0-16, they have to fire him. I don't see any way he can succeed with that stigma over his head. It would be an embarrassment like no other for a non-expansion team to go winless, and you would have to get rid of the coach that 'led' you there.

But plenty of teams have gone 1-15, and many have recovered nicely (recently the Cowboys, Jets and Panthers).

5. MarinoForPres

MarinoForPres New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Easton, MD
    yeah i agree if he gets one he may stay i like cam but i dont think he is cut out to be a head coach he is like norv turner just a great o coordinator. i would deep down like him to stay one more year but i also would want someone else. i beliave in him but his play calling sometime pisses me off. he needs to motivate and stop making huge game mistakes.

6. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Joh McKay went 0-14 with the tamp Bay Buccaneers in 1976 and 5 years later, the Buccaneers were in the NFC Divisional Playoffs...and that was WITHOUT free agency selling their talents to the highest bidder.

Point being, Cameron can go 0-16 and still keep is job. Remember how poorly the San Diego Chargers did their first year under Schottenheimer...with Cameron as OC? Last time I checked, the Chargers were 14-2 last season.

Patience my friends...patience. As the level headed ones here have pointed out, the Miami Dolphins didn't get broken overnight...and it surely isn't going to get fixed overnight...

7. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Nope, that distinction belongs to Dave "the franchise killer" Wannstedt.

However, Cam is showing some troubling tendencies that may very well point to another dud hire. As long as Mueller does a good job in revamping the roster though.... that's ultimately the most important thing right now.

8. jcthekid

jcthekid New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Different time, different team. Free agency? Cams handling of free agents has left a lot to be desired. He thought that this was a playoff team?]Key word there was Schottenheimer......like I said before, I think that we got the wrong guy from SD.
    Patience has a place, but leaving a guy in place as HC just to try and have some consistancy, even if he hasn't done anything to improve the team, would be foolish.
    Plenty of level-headed posters around here would like to see change at the HC position.

9. Texphinphan

Texphinphan Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    The difference was that TB was an expansion team. No one has done it since. Fair or not 0-16 is a record of futility which may cost Cam his job. While nonsensical, I agree with the other posters that the difference between 1-15 and 0-16 is much greater than just one win. It is about perception. I think Wayne will be hard pressed to keep Cam after 0-16 but there is plenty (well at least more) examples of 1 or 2 win teams turning it around. 2 or 3 wins I believe gets Cam another year.

10. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Oh, lest we forget then about some hot shot hired from the University of Miami whose first season in the NFL was 1-15...Jimmy Johnson I think his name...some team called the Cowboys.

For those who are advocating the firing of Cameron right now are singing from the same hymn book as Al Davis. Hell, The Dolphins have had nothing but inconsistentcy for the past 4 years...and look at how well we've done. Why change what we've been doing, right? Let's get rid of this coach too without giving him and Mueller to fix the problems this team inherited through the end of Johnson, Wannstedt and Saban.

But no, in today's internet, instant infomation fast lane, Cam Cameron was supposed to come in and lead the Dolphins to the promised land his first year as head coach. Trust me, you should have taken the blue pill!!!

Maybe with how horrible our record is, maybe it's an indication of how screwed up this organization became over the last several years.

I'll say it again...patience!! I've been a die hard Dolphins fan since I was 7 years old...seeing the Dolphins perfect season. I've endured heartaches over the decades...if I can be patient, so can you.

11. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    I've been told that there is:

a) no way Cameron gets fired
    b) He will not lose the locker room as the players love him
    c) His career will be tied to that of John Beck.
    d) Anyone that thinks Cameron is "the worst head coach" frankly has no idea what they're talking about. Miami is 0-11 not because of Cam Cameron's doing.

12. burger13

burger13 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    South Jersey
    as to your earlier post, as someone else already pointed out......TB was an expansion team and that makes a big difference.

As for your JJ comparison.....he won a game, which is all that I think Cam has to do to keep his job. Sound like Al Davis?? Just win (1) baby!! :wink2:

the stench of a winless season will forever be tied to this franchise if Cam doesn't figure a way to win at least one....and if he is the captain of the ship that goes there....then off with his head.

13. burger13

burger13 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    South Jersey
    you and anyone else have the right to feel that he is not the reason that we have lost 11 games......

but it is a FACT that he has yet to be the reason that we have won a game.

Win 1 game, then come back next year and show what you can do......but lose them all? Unexceptable.

14. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    How has HE lost 11 games?

Did he waste drafts from 2000 to 2005?

I mean seriously

15. rtamigo

rtamigo Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    NYC
    Agreed. Hopefully in 3 days these discussions will end. I'm a firm believer that we can win 4 of the next 5 games. Of course people will then blame cam for giving up draft status to NYJ & NE...

16. burger13

burger13 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    South Jersey
    HIS TEAM lost 11 games by allowing the other team to score more points each time. read what I wrote.....you or anyone are justified in thinking that he may have not been the cause for all the losses. but if he can't be at least part of the reason for at least 1 win in 16 tries, then he needs to go.

So is it your belief that this is the worst roster of players ever essembled in the modern day NFL?? Because they will have the distinction of worst team of all time if they don't win any. you want to blame it all on the roster and give Cam a pass.....but unless you are willing to state that this is the worst roster of players EVER, then you need to give Cam his share of the blame if they go winless.....and the cost of that should be his job.

Just 1 win.

17. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    So when we beat the Jets on Sunday, will you zip it?

18. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    If we lose this game against the crappy Jets, we must gather around and start protesting. This is freaking insane. We are the New York Knicks of the NFL.

I grabbed an idea from the New York Knicks subforum in realgm.com/boards [which is now filled with PROTESTING threads]. A Knicks fan suggested to group up of 200-300 fans, and when they lose the next game, to start throwing their own team gear on the court. Eventually a whole lot of other fans in the Garden will join in.

Send a message to Wayne Huizenga, let him know what a terrible team our coaching staff has put together.

I remember a few years back, about 6-8 seasons ago, there was a Carolina Panther's game where they got blown out bad, and the refs had to walk out of the field with umbrella's because it was raining freaking beer bottles.

19. burger13

burger13 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    South Jersey
    Zip it? I'm not calling for his job.....unless they go winless. I haven't started threads calling for his job already. I know that there a plenty of people already saying he needs to go....that's not me. My entire argument is IF they go 0-16. 1 win and I'm fine with Cam coming back.

Don't know why you are taking such offense for the demand of 1 win.....I really don't think it is unreasonable. I can't believe that anyone would back the decision to bring back a coach who led the team to the worst season by an NFL team EVER.

I argue daily that the team is not as bad as 0-11 would indicate. i argue that they aren't the worst in the league.....and nowhere near the worst team ever, as the media likes to toy with. but IF they don't win a game....no amount of arguing will matter...they will be the worst team ever, and I don't want the coach of that team, to be the coach of the Phins in '08.

20. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Protesting what? We have some good players, a core of good people. Some excellent coaches, we're well under the cap and there are good free agents at key positions of need.

It's not going to take long to turn this round.

21. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    If you say that then every and I mean EVERY player needs released then to. Since if you have Culpability you get canned, so JT ZAch all the way down to fields should be cut then as well.

The point is there are numerous factors all created from the messes handed down and Dick Satan leaving the way he did. Not Cam being so bad we are losers and to hold him accountable that way is to hold all others with responsibility accountable.

22. JMHPhin

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio

23. JMHPhin

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    LOL this argument is so funny as if 1 win is SOOOO much greater than none.

24. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    On Offense: Ronnie Brown, Samson Satele, Ted Ginn Jr, Hadnot and Carey.

On Defense: Wright, Will Allen, Jason Allen and maybe Jason Taylor and Zach [though if they retire, I wouldn't mind either].

Everyone else, can exit to the nearest door. This is an embarrassing team.

25. Garryowen

Garryowen New Member

Nov 26, 2007

What do you intend to potest? Crappy play? Bad Drafts? Bad hireing decisions? The effort that you take to go to the street might be better placed getting an MBA and then, buying the Dolphins, if you are that commited to the team.

Answer me these questions.

1. Do you think WH is fine, ad, has no problem with havig a team that is 0-fer.?

2. Do you think the players are fine and, have no probelm with being on a team that is 0-fer?

If you can say "yes", with honesty to those questions, I'd say your idea has merit.

Why do you think it's ok to hit people with beer bottles? It's not ok.

If you want to protest..I think it's probably the stupidest idea of all time, but, go ahead...just don't use some idiots throwing beer bottles at refs as a good idea. How would you feel if I came to your work and thre beer bottles at you?

26. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Hahahaha. Oh wow, LOL. I really never thought of that.

27. burger13

burger13 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    South Jersey
    bottom line, Cam's the head coach.....he is ultimately responsible.

regardless of the final record, every player on the roster is going to be evaluated and held accountable for how they have performed. Of course I'm all for cutting the ones who don't perform up to expectations.

28. Garryowen

Garryowen New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Innocent people getting injured over petulant fans is funny?

29. burger13

burger13 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    South Jersey
    1 win = just another bad team

0 win = WORST TEAM OF ALL TIME

yeah....I see a big difference.

30. jcthekid

jcthekid New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Who told you that, Boomer? I've actually heard that he has lost some of the veterans in the locker room due to some high-school-esque rules regarding the number of shoes that they can have in their lockers and the kind of music they can listen to in there.
    With all due respect, I hope that it's not the same "insider" who guaranteed you that Beck was going to start against Buffalo.
    Cam is as much a reason for our record as anything. His "odd" calls have arguably cost us wins. Some of his personnel decisions have been questionable at best. His play calling has left a lot to be desired. Hey, I hope that after 16 games we can all feel like the team is better because of Cam, but after 11 games I'm not convinced.
    Good to see you here, man!

31. Garryowen

Garryowen New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Worst of it is..It's not like it's unprecidented. It's not like we'd be the first ones.

32. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The head coach is responsible for what he does, not for what his predecessors have done. To date, the problems with this team involve what his predecessors have done--specifically, what they have not done. That is, they have not had good drafts, leading to a roster bereft of talent.

You don't fix that in one offseason.

33. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    No team is fine as an 0-fer. Not even the Knicks. But Wayne Huizenga has a short history of keeping coaches longer than they deserve, and letting coaches walk out on their own when they should've been fired.

I do not think Cameron deserves another season, draft or even another game. He is absolutely clueless out there, you can see it from the players' body language, and even Cameron's body language [Feeley yelling at Cameron for not going for the FG is an example of how fed up the players are].

Only thing Cameron had going for him is Ronnie Brown breaking through, but let's not credit him too much for that. His offense is a no show without a player of Ronnie or Tomlinson's caliber.

Has Mularkey been calling the plays?

34. burger13

burger13 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    South Jersey
    here's what would be a firsts:

Only non-expansion team to go winless

Only team to ever lose 16 games

the Bucs would get a pass for having been an expansion team and only losing 14, and the 2007 Dolphins will become the poster-children for NFL futility.

35. burger13

burger13 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    South Jersey
    Is this the worst roster of players EVER?

If the answer is no (which is what I believe)....then no coach should get a pass IF he leads them to the worst record ever.

36. Garryowen

Garryowen New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Please answer my questions. They are intrinsic for the justification of battering people with beer bottles and rioting. You advocated assautling people and, rioting, and, I'd like to know why that's ok, given, all this is about is a sports team.

37. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Faulty logic. This roster doesn't need to be the worst NFL roster ever in order for Cam to have a pass on the results of this season. You're looking for reasons to bash him, instead of trying to figure out what went wrong and what's going right.

38. Garryowen

Garryowen New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    A "Pass" shouldn't be construed as giving the guy you hired a 2-season chance. this hasn't worked well for Oaklad, and, it's not going to work well for us. What coach is going to come to Miami once we get a rep as "Win or you're gone! You get ONE year!"

39. jcthekid

jcthekid New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    OK, then Den. What IS going right? We haven't scored in 9 quarters and are 11-0, arguably getting worse, and not better.
    What I hear is a lot of excuses for Cam. Usually, when someone needs a ton of excuses to justify keeping them around, they need to go.
    I understand your opinion on it as afar as giving a coach more than one year. We just disagree. It's what makes it interesting!

40. Garryowen

Garryowen New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    You didn't adress it to me, but, I'll chime in. Not alot is going right. Not alot at all, and, I'm probably the most pessemistic person you'd want to meet.

Here's the thing; Do you want us to be a joke? We're not a joke right now and, we won't be even if we go winless. When we become a joke is then we start fireing every coach after one year. No coach should be fired after one year.

If we go 0-4 next year? Yep. Outta here. But not after one year.