1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

With parcells on board...can we lure Jason Garrett back

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finfangirl, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Finfangirl

Finfangirl Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Bay Area, Ca
    Im truly excited to have bill on board, i think he brings that "big name" back to us that will draw in key free agents and great coaches. Now with all this talk about romeo, i was wondering if anyone thinks parcell's can pluck jason from the grasps of jerry and bring him in to be our OC or asst head coach?

Hope everyone had a merry christmas...and now the that the patriots game is on national tv, i hope the whole nation watches as brady and patriots fall on their faces.

FFG

2. Pjack

Pjack New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Garrett can not be brought here unless he is Head Coach. I belief the rule in the NFL is that you can't take coaches from other teams unless it is a promotion. OC or Assistant Head Coach are not enough as he is already the assistant HC for the Cowboys.

If Cam is let go, I'll live with whomever Parcells and the GM (Mueller or someone new) chooses as I will know Parcells is a HOF football mind and had a signifant hand in the decision. Garrett is a definitely a guy whom a lot of teams will have there eye on when HC positions start opening up.

3. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Garrett IS NOT the Asst HC for the Cowboys. Tony Sparano is. Garrett is OC only. So Asst HC would be a promotion.

4. big0mar

big0mar New Member

Dec 15, 2007

correct.

if my memory serves me correctly, the redskins hired Al Saunders as "Associate Head Coach"

5. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    happy holidays to you too Finfangirl ! As for Coach Garrett, I doubt he'll come back as I think he presumes he is right in line to be the next HC for the Dallas Cowboys. I am definately a Miami DolFan, but you have to admit this much.....what is the more glamourous job in the NFL -- HC at Dallas or for the Dolphins ? Its a no-brainer.

He'll stay in Dallas I am almost 100% certain. (But I hope he comes here !!!!)

6. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Um... didn't we get Scott Linehan as an OC in 05 even though he was an OC with the Vikings?

7. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL

I thought the lateral movement ban was just on HC's, you mean it extends to all positions ?

8. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I figured it was only extended to HC's.

9. MiamiMan147

MiamiMan147 Season Ticket Holder

Nov 26, 2007
    Linehan's contract had run out and he opted to leave since Mike Tice was on the verge of being fired.

And the rule applies to not only coaches but head office people as well.

10. Pjack

Pjack New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    You're absolutely right. I swore I remember a report stating he would be named assistant head coach is the Cowboys effort to lure him back. I remember he was under consideration as head coach but he assistant HC was the fall back. Apparently OC was enough. Jones loves him and may have given a verbal promise to be successor as HC. The way the Cowboys are looking I wonder if Wade Phillips has longer term plans to stay which may make Garrett take a closer look if we ever offered the Phin HC job.