1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Words from John Gruden: rushing offenses= thing of the past

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ToddsPhins, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Our team is always late to the party in trends.

When the NFL was ruled by rushing offenses we had Dan Marino and a passing game way ahead of it's time.
    Can we trade two drafts to take 20 years off Dans age and bring him back?

Now were building an old school power rusing attack and an explosive passing attack seems to be coming back as the most important aspect an offense needs to possess.

Can we get it ever get it right? LOL.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  2. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Obviously a team needs balance, but it used to be believed that you could get by with a great running game and a great defense. I don't think that's the case anymore. I think that was Gruden's (and Toddphin's) main point; if you can't be explosive on offense then you have no chance.

The other point was that some successful defenses are the product of explosive offenses. The easiest way to play defense is if you know what's coming. That way you can sell out to stop the run or stop the pass. (This actually is the same reason that you need balance on offense.) Teams like the Colts or Saints would probably have much lower ranked Ds if they weren't so explosive on offense.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  3. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Uhhh, no.

2005 Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

379 passing attempts
    549 rushing attempts

If someone has an argument for some sort of paradigm shift in the NFL since 2005, I'd absolutely love to hear it.

4. Pennington's Rocket Arm

Pennington's Rocket Arm New Member

Dec 21, 2008
    this was Gruden's philosophy as a coach. unfortunately he didn't know how to groom a quarterback so his terrible passing game never did anything.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  5. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    It could seem that way, but actually no. I'm saying that the difference is the fact that NO is now coming out scoring points quickly which is placing a tremendous strain on opposing offenses to catch up, hence making their defense seem like they're playing better.

We both know that there are occasions where defense will reign supreme, but those times are less frequent than offenses dominating a game. A great offense can score points, which can in turn make their mediocre defense seem much better b/c oposing offenses are now forced into a more predictable, one-dimensional attack. A great offense can mask a lot of defensive deficiencies, but a tremendous defense can't really mask a poor offense.

I dont know. I'd have to see the Colts play the Saints to know that answer. I don't think I'd spit hairs between the 2 and say one is not very good b/c the other is better. They're both the top 2 teams in the NFL who can score a lot of points at will. Indy proved that again Sunday night.

The Saint's could conceivably regress to 25th in the league in rushing if they didn't have the passing attack that they do to open it up. If NO isn't scoring points early and often, then it's very unlikely that they are a top 16 rushing team. Defenses this year absolutely have to respect the pass which opens up the ground game.

Stats can be misleading and should be taken with a grain of salt. I've gone to my local sports bar nearly every Sunday this year so that I could watch all the games simultaneously. The stats are not a clear indication of the truth. What I've seen as a reoccuring theme is the teams that jump out to an early lead usually dominate the game and their opponents rarely have a chance to recover, similary to the theory I've been speaking of. I've watched NO. They blow away people in the beginning, with their passing attack not their ground game. They can run the ball better b/c they have a lead as apposed to playing catch up like much of last year. Yes, they have a better ability to run the ball than last year which helps the pass, but it's definitely pass dominated. Once they have a lead they bleed the clock with the run game b/c defenses cant crowd the box or Brees will exploit it.

The biggest key IMO for their run success is b/c they are jumping out to early leads, forcing the NFL to respect the pass, while creating turnovers due to opponents trying to play mistake free catch up. Has their run game helped? Yes, and much in part to Jahri Evans and Carl Nicks in the middle. It also helps to have an explosive back like Bush who can break off a long run at any time. The whole "there's only so many times you can contain him theory". They are not running a ground controlled offense and much of their rushing yards are coming in big chunks thanks greatly to Brees and the passing attack setting the run up.

In 08 they were not jumping out to early 1st half leads, which kept opponents in the game, allowing costly turnovers, and lost many games b/c of it. In the 5 games that the Saints trailed by 10 points or more within 5 minutes into the 2nd Half, they were 0-5 last year. In those games, Brees averaged 48/ 357 YPG/ 10 TDs/ 8 Ints (7 of which came when trailing). NO trailed early in these games so they were forced out of their conventional offense and into having Brees tying to win it for them, hence Brees throwing for 48 attempts & 357 YPG while only being able to rush the ball only 21 times/game for 82 yards/ 3.9 YPC average.

In the 5 games that Saints were up 10 or more points within 5 minutes of 2nd Half, they were 5-0. In those, Brees averaged 34 passes/339 yards/15 TDs/3 Ints (only 1 coming when trailing). They took an early lead which allowed them to eat the clock on the gound more: 29 times/game for 119 yards/4.1 YPC. In this early lead, they weren't forced into making turnovers.... and their TPC wasn't much different than when they were 0-5. The difference between the 2 is a net 20 point scoring differential. In these games, NO was ahead early so Brees was able to throw less passes for more efficiency and production.... similar to what the Saints are doing this year while getting random big plays from their ground game.

In Saints 6 games in which the score was +/- 7 points within 5 minutes of 2nd Half, they split it down the middle at 3-3. In these, NO did not jump out to an early lead therefore didn't take their opponents out of their game plan. This kept the pressure on both teams to play mistake free football, hence leading to lower yardage outputs and splitting the victories. In these, Saints passed 37 times for 263 YPG/ 9 TDs/ 8 Ints (5 of those coming while trailing). The ground game rushed 27 times for 98 yards/ 3.6 YPC. Last year, the Saints trailed or had minimal leads going into the 3rd qtr and it led to a lot of costly turnovers and mistakes. This year, they are taking comfortable leads early in the game and as such they are now the ones creating the turnovers. There is no reason for Brees to play catch up, so they can run more efficiently and more often.... and the more runs they have, the more chances their backs have of breaking one off.

In the 7 games in which NO has built an early lead this year they are 7-0 with 0 Ints <when not trailing>. This has allowed them to create a TON of big plays on defense b/c other teams are forced out of rythm. In the 2 games in which Saints were losing headed into the 2nd half (Miami/Corolina), Brees had 4 ints when trailing. The ground game was also ineffective early b/c they were taken out of their game plan. In the end, 2 of the best rushing teams in the NFL didn't have enough firepower to put the Saints away and traded off field goals and punts for TDs. NO's passing attack allowed them back into the game, and once they gained the lead, they began milking the clock with the ground game.

If anyone watched their impressive dismantling of the Giants, they would have seen that it was the passing attack that exploded the game open early, leaving NY no opportunity to catch up. Ground game means nothing if you're playing catch up. Ask Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw who were limited to only 17 carries for 82 yards. Most people would think that they are a pretty formidable 1-2 punch, but you can't be effective if they don't get a chance to carry the ball when your teams trailing early.

The Saints were able to ram it down our throats b/c we had to respect the pass that was starting to tear us up. You wanna stop the passing attack, then you're gonna give up yards on the ground. Try to stop the run..... and their passing game will beat you even worse. Has our very strong rushing attack allowed us to beat anyone this year? Not really. Weaker teams- a little, but this year has shown us that firepower and offensive weapons are the big kahunas. Just my opinion of course. :)

6. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Sure...

How about your same Pittsburgh Steelers?
    2008 Pittsburgh Steeler Super Bowl Champs had the 23 ranked rushing offense.

506 Passing attempts/ 3301 yards/ 7.1 ave/ 19TDs
    460 Rushing attempts/ 1690 yards/ 3.7 ave/ 16 TDs

That's a pretty controlled experiment if you ask me. :lol:
    Same team, SB champs, 3 years later...... hmmmm. LOL.
    Looks like the SB champs changed it up to win it again. Less rush attempts, twice as many passing yards to rushing, twice the average per play, and more TDs.

Go a step farther..... you have last year's SB champs who are trying to become even more explosive by adding Mike Wallace to the mix and now ranking 8th in the NFL in passing up from 17th from 08 with a rushing attack ranked 17th.

09 Steelers current SB champs:
    303 passes/ 2280 yards/ 8.2 ave/ 15 TDs/ 8 ints
    232 rushes/ 1002 yards/ 4.3 ave/ 6 TDs/ 6 fumbles

I'd say it's pretty conclusive what's going on here. The Steelers are getting much more production and scoring per play without sacrificing many turnovers to do so. There is no doubt that they are trying to become a more explosive offense that can put teams away early so that they can bleed the clock with Mendenhall, while allowing their beastly pass rushers to take over on defense after forcing an offense into more predictable passing downs. Easy peasy. :up: LOL.

7. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    Since we are now reduced to the brass tax of things........ WTF are actually attempting to say here in this thread? I mean you have rambled. You have rambled alot. I have seen nothing you WANT other than an explosive offense. Which begs the question....... WTF is an explosive offense?

Would the 38 points the Dolphins scored against the Bills equate to an "explosive offense"?

Would the 31 points the Dolphins scored on the Jets equate to an "explosive offense"?

How about 34? Would the 34 points the Dolphins scored on the Saints equate to an "explosive offense"?

30? Would the 30 points the Dolphins scored on the Jets equate to "explosive"?

So what's the mark of an "explosive offense"? Do YOU know?

Well that's some ground breaking news. I mean heck, the price of a gallon of milk has changed too. The color of the leaves on the trees outside are changing. About the only thing in the world that hasn't changed is that my wife hasn't stopped *****in. So what's your point?

I'm not asking John Gruden to quantify anything. I'm not talking to him. You asked if I was smarter than John? I asked you John said. You do not even know. ALTHOUGH your lead statement in your exponentially STUPID thread has a 6 word quotation from the man. Am I smarter than him? Probably not. I'm not banking millions. But I know 32 other coaches that are evidently smarter than John Gruden. I'll stop talking about John Gruden here though. There is nothing to gain from it and the poor fellow was not exactly writing a dissertation last night. Heck, we still don't even know the context of his 6 word statement. There is actually two pages worth of comments on his comment and I'll still don't know what JOHN GRUDEN was trying to say. You sure have not made it clear but you act as if Moses has been carrying it around on a tablet.

I love this. You keep mentioning John Gruden's name like he is sitting there in your pocket or something. So let's take Gruden's name out of what you said.

Just after this statement was another unfounded allocation to my statement but I have reduced the comment even further to YOUR point.

Okay so no team in the NFL is running the sweep pulling two guards with any success. Enlightening........

No team in the NFL is running a trap with any success. Enlightening........

No team is using a balanced offensive line with any success. Enlightening.......

No team is running a play action pass with any success. Enlightening......

There. There are FOUR specific offensive things I mentioned from 40 years ago still used in the NFL today. Would you pull John Gruden out of your pocket and tell me why teams keep running the Lombardi offense? But wait, I've got more to address about John Gruden before you pull him out of your pocket again. But before you do that let's review......

You chalked up this comment as bullet proof evidence of some point you were attempting to make. Here is what a coach says to that specific comment.

"So John...... When your offense is out on the field and you call a play with three or four routes off the passing tree - do you mean that the points don't count when you passed to the shortest route every time? Do you mean that the only points that count are the routes run 10+ yards. I mean last I checked the average 80 yard (time consuming) drive takes about 13-15 plays. So what I am asking is your statement that EVERY drive must contain plays that gain 9+ yards each play? That is the average of a 9 play 80 yard drive. To lesson the time consumption sigificantly, that is exactly what one would have to do. So John, does this mean when you are coaching again you will only draw up passing plays that have 9+ yard routes on them? I ask this because obviously this was not attempted by YOU when you had your opportunity. Or maybe it was. I didn't watch. But this would go far in explaining why you are sitting a MNF booth instead of on the sideline."

I think I've done enough addressing John Gruden's comments. Let's address YOUR comments.

Yes and I showed you that the top three PASSING teams were out of the playoffs last year. I showed you that the top three DEFENSES were in the playoffs last year. This commentary does very little in adding to John Gruden's comment. So what's YOUR point?

Okay so you think this expounds on John Gruden's point. I think not. I think John Gruden would say that you have to continuously score points ALA the Patriots/Colts game. I believe John Gruden would say that no lead is safe in the NFL. "Milking the clock in the 2nd half" means nothing in terms of an explosive offense to me. IMO, an explosive offense will continually score because that is all they know how to do. What does this point have to do with the record of the top four rushing teams? Are you attempting to say that top rushing teams do not score points? Again, what's your point?

You said this right after the John Gruden quote about "80 yard time consuming drives". So are you saying that scoring quickly is easier? If so, I believe there are 32 teams in the NFL that have a high paying job for you. Would you mind telling us how you would get this done?

No, you have been watching (and obviously not pay attention) the Dolphins and that exact formula you described has failed us time and again this year. It's a formula that has nothing to do with John Gruden's comment though. The Dolphins attained their lead through formations and personell groupings marching the ball down the field through 80 yard time consuming drives.

YOUR point is the exact OPPOSITE from John Gruden's point. I see rambling.

Huh? Did your "explosive offense" just morph into a defense? Is that what you said? :lol:

I think you just said that if we could get the MIAMI DOLPHINS to score each time the offense got the ball, we will win our games. Eureka! Go tell Tony Sparano. I think he will give you AND Moses a job.

Wow! You used John Gruden's words to lead this entire post. Then somehow you morphed John Gruden's words into a critism of our running game. That's funny. The last time I listened to Gruden he was in love with our running game. It was Ron Jaworski who was critical of our offense. Other than making good fodder during the broadcast of our game, I heard no epiphany out of either of them though. I didn't hear them claim anything about Moses nor a secret tablet.

So somehow you got me to address John Gruden in this thread. I still don't have a clue as to the point you are attempting to make and I highly doubt anyone understands your rambling post. I attempted to get you to enlighten us with more information. I got nothing about football. I received a couple of insults though. Thanks! :up:

Stringer Bell likes this.
  8. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    This league is designed to pass. Look at the top 6 rushing teams in the NFL in terms of yards per game along with their rank for points scored..

1.) Jets #17 scoring
    2.) Titans #23 scoring
    3.) Panthers #23 scoring
    4.) Dolphins #14 scoring
    5.) Saints #1 scoring
    6.) Jaguars #21 scoring

The Saints are the clear outlier there but they are also 4th in passing yards which explains their ranking.

This is a passing league and passing leads to points. Miami needs to get with the times.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  9. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    And I could list a lot of different teams that pass the ball well but aren't any better than the Jets, Titans, or Panthers. Whats your point?

10. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Those are the TOP 6 teams in rushing. And they're not good at scoring. That's my point.

Show me the top 6 passing teams and you'll see top scoring teams. That's my point.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  11. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    If anyone want to break down the record and point averages of the top 10 passing teams in the NFL..... be my guest. LOL. We could also do the top 15 passing teams in the NFL and what their record is. ;)

12. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Probably better to do that for 2008...

13. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Season isn't over yet and we are in the months where passing gets harder

14. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    That's not in any sense an argument that there has been a paradigm shift in teams ability to win by running heavily.

The Steelers with a new coaching staff managed to win doing it a different way. That doesn't change the fact that they did it not long ago running the ball more than passing it. It's fairly obviously not impossible, nor is it something that required a more successful running game than we have.

15. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    2008 Top-10 Passing Teams (pass/yd per game):

1. NO (8-8)
    2. ARI (9-7)
    3. DEN (8-8)
    4. HOU (8-8)
    5. IND (12-4)
    6. PHI (9-6-1)
    7. SD (8-8)
    8. GB (6-10)
    9. DAL (9-7)
    10. MIA (11-5)

16. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    That was an entire year ago. That isn't modern day football!

Wait, the Dolphins were 10th? What happened this year?

17. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Out of the Top 2009 19 Passing teams, only 2 of those have losing records (Bears and Seahawks).

The top 12 passing teams have a combined record of 71-33. Of these, there are only 4 top 10 scoring defenses.
    The top 19 passing teams have a combined record of 107-60.

In this top 12 passing, it breaks down to (with defensive scoring ranking beside it) :
    1. Indy 9-0 (1)
    2. Pats 6-3 (3)
    3. Texans 5-4 (15)
    4. Saints 9-0 (17)
    5. Zona 6-3 (12)
    6. Dallas 6-3 (8)
    7. SD 6-3 (20)
    8. Pitt 6-3 (6)
    9. Philly 5-4 (12)
    10. Bears 4-5 (19)
    11. GB 5-4 (10)
    12. Minne 8-1 (12)

The next 7 teams have only 1 losing record among them.
    13. Seattle 3-6 (18)
    14. Giants 5-4 (21) (have offensive weapons)
    15. Ravens 5-4 (5)
    16. Jags 5-4 (26)
    17. Falcons 5-4 (16)(have offensive weapons)
    18. Broncos 6-3 (4)(have offensive weapons)
    19. Bengals 7-2 (2) (have offensive weapons)

With the exception of Seattle, all 19 of these teams have a legitimate shot at the playoffs.

Top 14 run offenses:
    1. Jets 4-5
    2. Titans 3-6
    3. Panthers 4-5
    4. Dolphins 4-5
    5. Saints 9-0
    6. Jags 5-4
    7. Giants 5-4
    8. Cowboys 6-3
    9. Falcons 5-4
    10. Vikings 8-1
    11. Bengals 7-2
    12. Packers 5-4
    13. Rams 1-8
    14. Ravens 5-4
    The rushing offenses in this group with any chance at the playoffs are the ones who have passing attacks that have to be respected (with the exception of the Jags).

18. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    The only team in the top 14 without any chance of the playoffs are the Rams.

19. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    There has been a draft and FA moves since then, but I like how the 10th ranked passing Miami Phins were 11-5 and now the 4th ranked rushing Phins are 4-5. just sayin. LOL. I know there's more to it, but the shoe fit so I felt like throwing that out there. :lol:

20. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    compared to the top 14 passing offenses that's stretching it a bit. LOL.

21. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    So "thing of the past" is 1 year?

22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    This is the NFL. I remember last year at this time both the Jets and the Bills were decently ahead of Miami when it came to the division championship. However Miami won the division.

23. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Imho its not so much pass happy versus run happy; it is how you execute that makes the difference.

NO looks great right now but looking at their schedule plus the way they have played these last few games unless they clean up their mistakes there is no way they make it to the big game. It is one thing to come back against the Hotlantas and Dolphins of this league. It is something else to do it in the playoffs.

I will predict something else if the Colts meet the Pats again in the playoffs you can bet Billy boy will have Payton's number dialed up. So for the Colts to sweep the Pats their defense better be much better the second time around!

24. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    When you have teams like Pitt getting playmakers like Wallace, Philly getting Maclin, Minne getting Favre & Harvin, Indy reloading with Collie and Brown, Giants nabbing Nicks etc, it can quickly change things IMO. Backs have also been de-emphasized in the draft IIRC.

This year TE's are becoming more of a threat than we've ever seen before IMO also. So, yes, I feel 1 year has changed things. Actually the change had already started prior to this year, only we're now starting to see it in full tilt. IMO again. :knucks:

25. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Brown is a running back.

Also the Giants, Eagles, Steelers and Colts have been nabbign playmakers for years.

26. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    True.... good point.

The trend still seems to be that, when looking at the offenses in the NFL, most of the teams are gearing up to become as explosive as possible while stressing less importance on a ball controlled ground game (or not at least until the 2nd half).

I'm only stating what I've seen so far. Not saying that the running game isn't important at all, but it has seemed to have taken a back seat.... with the teams possessing firepower AND a decent running game/Oline seem to be in charge. However the run first teams with what would appear to be quality Olines/RBs seem to not be fairing as well.

27. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    We will see at the end of the year. Passing teams tend to slow down a little at the end of the season.

28. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I listed Brown b/c of his capability/threat catching the ball out of the backfield.

Those teams have been nabbing playmakers for the past few years, and they're still doing it b/c they know it works. Indy has been doing it for a LONG time, ignoring defense at times in the process, and they and NE (another explosive offense) are the top 2 teams of the past 10 years or so IIRC..... and the most consistent, despite having years where their defense was ranked poorly while barely having a rushing attack. NE has done everything they can to get Brady weapons, and they have gone through RBs like a woman does shoes. LOL.

29. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    For our sake, I hope so. :knucks:

30. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    What was your point about prolific offenses scoring since the beginning of time stuff? That wasn't ground breaking news, which is why I said what I did. :wink2: Prolific 30 years ago is not synonymous with prolific today. What allowed success 20 years ago doesn't necessarily dictate success today. That's my point. You made a vague generalization like it's the end all argument..... and you gave absolutely nothing of merit to back up anything you said with up to date 09 data.

You actually think I have my nose up Gruden's butt like this is some epiphony to me?..... We (including myself) have been discussing this very topic in the Club level since the Falcon's loss, so it's nothing new to me. I'm only bringing it up in the mains b/c it was nice to hear Gruden validate the very same thing that we've been talking about for weeks.

Say what you want about Gruden, but he's probably the most astute person in football who IS actually giving us their honest and forthright opinion.... so what he says bears more weight than most. 32 coaches smarter than Gruden?? How many of those have winning percentages equal to 100-81 in the NFL..... with a Super Bowl ring? Riddle me that please.... not to mention being the youngest coach at the time to win a SB. I told you what John said if you cared to read the post. He said basically everything that I stated in my opening thread.

Actually.... that's exactly what Gruden said Mr. Omniscient. :tongue2: If you DVR'd the game, you can go back and see for yourself. He said that the NFL is now about putting up points quick and "milking the clock in the 2nd half". Notice the quotation marks. :wink2: So I think that was exactly what he said, and not what he was meaning to say based on your concept of what the NFL is all about now. LOL.

"Have to do with top 4 rushing teams?" They lack consistent explosiveness besides the RB position..... and it shows that top rushing teams do not necessarily qualify for a winning team anymore, where as the explosive top passing teams do. Now if you can have an explosive passing game while still being able to run, then you're deadly.

There are also 32 teams that would say that they are good enough to stop you from scoring 4 TDs on long, ball controlled drives..... however these same teams will have a tougher time stopping scores from explosive offenses just by nature. Again, if you have guys who are capable of turning a 5 yard high percentage pass into a 75 yard TD, it increases your probability of scoring over a team that has to rely on long, consistent, 80 yard drive. It's a mathemetical fact. NE scored more points and racked up more yards in considerably less plays than us in our recent loss to them. That's an example.

No... For 9 weeks, I watched 7 screens that had every game transpiring. What I noticed <before ever hearing Gruden> is exactly what I've posted. Teams that have convincing wins come out scoring fast, which forces opposing offenses into more obvious play calling while trying to play catch up..... it forces them out of their normal game plan and into a more 1 dimensional style. When the team with the big lead knows the pass is coming, they can focus on blitzing and bringing the heat. I've seen this happen week in and week out, and I've also noticed these trailing teams being forced into committing turnovers b/c they are no longer able to play "their style of football" and are no longer able to consistently run high percentage plays. I've watched the more explosive offenses quickly capitalize on these errors, maintaining momentum and keeping their foot on their opponents throats. They put teams away. Their explosiveness allows them to either high-percentage run or pass in the 2nd half b/c they have the players who can still turn short yardage plays into long gains. B/c of this, opposing defenses still have to respect an explosive offense.

Like Gruden said, once these teams build up a quick lead, they milk the clock in the 2nd half while still scoring here or there on big plays. It's a very simple philosophy to understand. Is defense still important? Of course. but once you make it to the Super Bowl, teams with explosive offenses can nullify any top defense as Zona showed last year. Couple this with the fact that rules have changed, and it makes it even harder for defenses to dominate the league. The history of the SB has averaged nearly 46 points per game.... not exactly seeming to be a battle of top defenses.

You can be in love with our running game while at the same time be disappointed in our overall offenses effectiveness. I'm not criticizing our running game. I firmly believe that we would have a run-at-will ground game through 4 qtrs if we had playmaking WRs/TEs to accompany it, allowing us to be more explosive in the process. I'm criticizing the approach that a run first offense can win games consistently in this day and age.

I'm critical of the fact that the successful teams in the league, unlike us currently, have caught onto the fact that explosive teams win games, allowing their defense to play better when offenses are placed into more predictable situation.

I'm critical of the fact that while these top teams are adding players who can make them more explosive, we're adding players like Patrick Turner and Brian Hartline while passing on TOO MANY explosive WRs from a hugely playmaking WR class. We dropped the ball on that IMO. I like Hart, but we have a virtual clone in Cammy. However we passed on Mike Thomas who would've been the perfect upgrade to Bess in the slot. A guy that's Bess's size with speed, elusiveness, and reliable hands who can actually return punts as well???? :headscratch:

I'm critical in the fact that we pass on many playmaking TE's who could replace DMart's production only to take a small school (non explosive) guy who is now bye bye.... and now we have very little production from the TE and are excited as heck to finally have a last minute signed TE with 33 receiving yards & 1 TD. I'm critical in the fact that we didn't address CB in FA with the likes of Bodden/McFadden so that we could've had an extra early draft pick to use on one of the numerous offensive playmakers. I follow the draft closely so these aren't hindsight thoughts for me in case you're thinking it. I'm critical in the fact that we have gone the conservative route while others went the explosive one. The explosive one is prevailing.

I'm critical in the fact that we have a stud QB in Henne who we've not prioritized giving playmaking weapons to, which is a quick way to destroy a young QB and put him in the looney bin.

Speak for yourself. There were people who actually understood my post, however the they were from the club level. just sayin. :lol: :tongue2:

31. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    The entire argument is based on half a season of football. The fact of the matter is, our team is built for November and December. When all these skill position players start dropping like flies, will you still be so critical of our failure to draft skill position players? The difference between the Saints last year and the Saints this year is healthy skill players.
    Posted via Mobile Device

32. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    We have enough non-skill players for now.... what we don't have is playmakers. It doesn't matter to me what our November or December is like if we still can't make the playoffs. LOL.

So skill players mean that they are less durable? How about the possession guys who take a beating b/c of the nature of their play style?

A 53 man roster is a 53 man roster. Being more explosive doesn't necessarily mean you're more of a liability than someone who isnt. Plenty among plenty of SB winners have had playmaking skill players to show that explosive players do indeed impact from November on.