1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worst Draft I've Ever Seen

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Alan112, Apr 30, 2016.

1. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    also take a look at the defenses they had to play. They played junk defenses over that run. It was pointed out to him when it was happening last season

resnor likes this.
  2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    excuses excuses..

dolphin25 and jdang307 like this.
  3. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Ziggy Ansah if we were looking for a pass rusher ...

It's funny you mention 2013 though. Everyone is so happy we got Tunsil and is calling him a 10 year starter. Can he play the game first? Sheesh. People were calling Jake Long a future HOF after two years, remember that? Let the kids play man. Eric Fisher, Luke Joeckel. DJ Fluker. Only one worth a damn was Lane Johnson.

dolphin25 likes this.
  4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Jake Long would have been a great player if not for a terrible knee injury.

Also, what else are we going to talk about. Football doesn't start until September. Yes there is training camp and preseason, however those are far way. Why piss in people's cheerios?

5. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    The bold part is what the author wrote. Notice the words out of Carroll's mouth said no such thing. The reason there were less pressures and less sacks was because the coaches changed the way Wilson played. You think all of a sudden this rag tag group of linemen started blocking better? No. They were telling Wilson to stop trying to do too much and get rid of the ball.

http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-sea...ed-to-the-seahawks-recent-offensive-explosion

Notice a whole article discussing the offensive explosion and not a single word from Carroll about the linemen performing better.

The line performed better because the coaches told Wilson get rid of the ball faster. Don't hold onto it. Short passes/slants.

Another article, and again, emphasis on what they had Wilson change, not the line.

http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-sea...nse-of-the-seahawks-offensive-line-philosophy

6. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    "Fixed some protection issues."

"Our numbers flip-flopped in terms of the pressures and sacks and things like that."

Yep, nothing changed with the oline.

7. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    They also gave him different options. How interested were Philbin and Lazor in helping Tannehill, when they were actively trying to get rid of him?

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  8. Shane Falco

Shane Falco Banned

Nov 22, 2015
    Because it's their only argument. And they are desperate to be right.

9. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    oddly I believe the tannehill lovers are the ones that started the comparison. now they claiming they aren't similar lol

jdang307 and Finster like this.
  10. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Oddly, no, that's not what happened. People who disliked the Tannehill pick have constantly compared him to Wilson. Myself and a few others have consistently argued that Wilson benefits from a number of things that Tannehill didn't, and had put up similar numbers. Wilson gets every excuse from some of you for his shortcomings, yet you refuse to acknowledge the significant advantages that he has.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  11. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Right before and after Seattle won the Super Bowl posters in here were arguing that there wasn't much if any difference between Tannehill and Wilson except for the defense and running game. Some even argued Ryan was better than Wilson. One prominent poster argued if Wilson was on the Dolphins he would be cut by now. So yeah it did happen. Wilson Luck Tanny and RG three will always be compared to each other because they are in the same draft. Although Wilson was in the third round in the other three were at the top of the first round

djphinfan likes this.
  12. dgfred

dgfred Free Agent pickup

Dec 17, 2015
    N.C., USA
    OOPs... drifting into RT comparisons again when the OP is about the draft. Shame. I know y'all just can't help it tho.

keypusher likes this.
  13. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Well Res, you were wrong. Wilson doesn't benefit from anything, he's just great period, you argued about Lynch, he lost lynch and played his best ball, he doesn't have great wide receivers, he played his best ball, he didn't have the best line, it doesn't matter..there are no more caveats when discussing Wilson..

jdang307 and Finster like this.
  14. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    [​IMG]

15. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    No, DJ, you're wrong about me. I've argued he benefited from a strong run game. That didn't mean just Lynch. He benefits from a great defense. He benefits from coaches who trust him, and adapt FOR HIM. None of this takes away from Wilson, like you act like it does. It's just things that help him, and stop acting like they don't, that Tannehill hasn't had.

Fin D and Unlucky 13 like this.
  16. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    LMAO that he didn't benefit from anything. How the f****did they win that playoff game that I got a 24 hour ban for? Because his defense kept the game within reach, while he tried to choke it away.

17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    and you wonder why Wilson is continually brought up, because folks like you continue to make excuses for the mans great play...

Lol at a great run game without lynch...have you stopped to think why they have a strong run game even though lynch wasn't playing?

Defense is your last straw, and your gonna hold onto it ain't ya.

No lynch...below average line..average receivers= best qbr in football and finished the last 7 games with 27/1 to ratio....ok buddy, yup it's his defense..

I've never seen someone hold on to their stance in the face of what it feels like imperical evidence..

Just say it bro....Russell Wilson is an elite great QB??

18. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    You're absolutely incredible.

19. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    ha! 2013 ring a bell We drastically improved our team with this draft. We got 2 players that could be great assets for us in a trade with the Eagles, and by moving down, we saved 8 mil in Tunsil, and we got the best player in the draft. We filled needs, and got great value, im excited for what this draft could do to our team. I think we got it right

20. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Anti-Homer

Mar 14, 2015
    Well when they throw darts for nearly two decades it's bound to happen at some point right? LOL

dolphin25 likes this.
  21. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    you'd hope! Ha!

22. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    The Team benefits from a great defense. The team benefits from the run game and Wilson. Wilson extends plays with his legs when things look lost. Offenses don't get tired, defenses do. So you can't argue Wilson benefits from the defense. The Seahawks do.

You can try to argue he benefits from the strong defense because he can take more risks knowing the defense will bail him out, but that's a tenuous argument. The play call comes from the coaches. But when you isolate Wilson, and his play, you see that he is already elite.

When we talk about how great Wilson is, it isn't about the teams success, although he's a big part of it. You can isolate what he does. How he operates with a terrible offensive line and not great weapons. His two best receivers were Doug Baldwin and Tyler Lockett (although I think Lockett is going to beast,he was still a rookie).

dolphin25 and Sceeto like this.
  23. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Its gotten ridiculous the level of hyperbole and fantasy creation that goes on.

Wilson is a damn good QB, but he's not an effing mythical creature. He's not magic. He, like all great QBs needs help from his team and coaches.

Pauly and resnor like this.
  24. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Is being impervious to fatigue a requirement for offensive NFL players? Saying offenses don't get tired is ridiculous. Of course they get tired.

I don't argue that he benefits from a strong defense because that means he can take risks. I argue that he benefits from a great defense because the vast majority of the time, he hasn't had to carry offenses (which, coincidentally, is where the strong run game comes into play). Yes, Wilson certainly kicked it up a notch last season, but, for you all to compare him to Tannehill, and then come to the conclusion that Tannehill is terrible, is ridiculous, as Tannehill DIDN'T:

1. Have coaches who trusted him and put him in a position to succeed.
    2. Have the confidence to go playmake on his own when plays breakdown. Pretty hard to take risks, and go against coaches, when your head coach and offensive coordinator are trying to get rid of you.
    3. Have a defense holding teams to 16 points a game on average.
    4. Have a strong, consistently used run game to balance the offense, and keep opposing defenses honest.
    5. He also doesn't possess Barry Sanders elite escapability, so expecting Tannehill replicate what Wilson does behind a bad oline is ridiculous (also, see point 2 for further reinforcement).
    6. The Miami Dolphins don't have Super Bowls and playoff appearances to boost the "legend" of Tannehill.

I have never said that Wilson isn't a very good QB. My opinion, is that one season doesn't make a QB elite. I don't think his first three seasons were "elite." I think, that because some of you hold Tannehill in such disdain, that when I, or others, compare him to Tannehill, you automatically in your mind think we're saying that Wilson is bad, because you believe Tannehill is bad. I think Wilson is very good, but I also realize that the other pieces of the team have been very, very important in allowing Wilson to develop, and become what he is today. If you put Wilson on the Dolphins, and Wilson actually followed the coaches direction and didn't scramble, you really think he'd look as good as he does right now? When people say "if Wilson were on the Dolphins," they're saying, "if he had been in the same situation on the Dolphins as Tannehill, in all regards." What makes Wilson so dangerous, is his elite athleticism. If he wasn't allowed to use it, he'd be much less dangerous. Much the same, but to a lesser extent, Tannehill is much more dangerous when his athleticism is utilized...but the idiot coaches seemingly refused.

I will say this, if Tannehill's line is good this year, and he isn't improved, it's time to move on. If the line is bad again, and Tannehill is again not running, and we find evidence that the coaches want him to escape and run, then it's time to move on.

25. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Res, your a good sport, and respected member..

are you gonna say it?

26. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Wilson again!! Holy s--t.

27. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    bro, his numbers say different...27 and 1 the last 7 games..think about it..he's on pace to be a hall of fame qb.

dolphin25 and jdang307 like this.
  28. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    In no way does that discredit what i said.

Also, WADR, you've gotten tot he point that if a person isn't blowing wilson while worshipping him like a pharaoh, you think they are insulting or taking something away from him.

resnor likes this.
  29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    nope not at all, I just keep reminding the ones who called him overrated and said that he was a result of other team variables and who haven't acknowledge they were wrong..

he's so good he should be blown..every night..

roy_miami likes this.
  30. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    He will ... once he's married. By Ciara. Damn!

31. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire

I've said my belief. He's a very good QB. For me, not elite...not yet. That could change for me, in a year or two.

32. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Yet, you refuse to acknowledge that the defense, coaching, and run game have allowed him to develop to where he is today.

33. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Please note who brought up Wilson, because I and a couple others are accused of doing that, all the time.

34. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    He, LIKE EVERY GREAT QB, benefits from certain things beyond his control. The fact that you won't acknowledge that and then get offended when people suggest it, is proof you've gone of the deep end on this and are arguing from an emotional standpoint and not a factual one.

Would Thill produce exactly the same as he has here if he had been in Seattle....yes or no? (Don't assume I'm saying Thill would have produced like Wilson in the same situation, I'm asking if Thill would produce the same he has in Miami, nothing more.)

35. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    lol, not yet...whatever..

dolphin25 likes this.
  36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Your stance is exactly why you get the hassle you do..if you can't tell that guys great then I don't know what else to tell ya, and he really has nothing else to prove.there's an obvious bias, so..keep on keepin on..and we'll keep on pointing it out to you..

37. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I am confident in this, Wilson would be the same QB here that he is there, maybe the team wouldn't of had the same success, but you would not hold that against him because the skillset would be plain to see..greatness is easy to identify that's why this is a silly debate.

as far as Ryan goes, for me, it's never been about Ryan, this all stemmed from folks saying that if Ryan was in Seattle the results would be the same, and that Wilson was overrated, then Wilson shutting them up countless times over, and them continuing to keep their stance, thus demeaning the level of play of Wilson, not giving the proper credit..

If Ryan was in Seattle his numbers would be better but I don't believe he is on wilsons level..

roy_miami and jdang307 like this.
  38. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Then, WADR, your stance is insane. You are essentially saying nothing matters but the QB.

Also, you're still arguing against an argument that hasn't been around in 4 years instead of actually paying attention to what is being said now.

You also ignored my question.

39. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I don't think his numbers would be better either, Wilson seems to get pressure on almost every single pass.

40. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    how is my stance insane?

Numbers are affected by variables and teammates..not level of individual play..