Worst Thing About Watching the NFL on TV?

4 replies

GalantGalantForum VeteranOP
Oct 1, 2020, 08:59 PM

The tight camera angles.

So much of the action is missed in every shot. You can't see the receivers or the secondary. You can't watch the routes develop. Football is a game where there's often a great deal going on and usually a good portion of it is hidden from the viewer.

It's almost a disdain for the game itself... or the viewer. They choose style over substance. The true product is hidden.

What's worse, I suspect a wider view would actually appeal to people. Appreciation would increase. And they wouldn't lose any shots, they'd be adding more so it would give them more variety for replays etc.

Of course, in the future I hope they give viewers a choice of views via digital TV options.

Until then, it's a missed opportunity.


"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)

firedanfiredanForum Veteran
Oct 1, 2020, 10:27 PM

Some of the announcers are not all that either.At times I turn off the sound and listen to the radio broadcast but depending on who that is, it might be as bad.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Oct 1, 2020, 10:41 PM

"Galant wrote:

The tight camera angles.

So much of the action is missed in every shot. You can't see the receivers or the secondary. You can't watch the routes develop. Football is a game where there's often a great deal going on and usually a good portion of it is hidden from the viewer.

It's almost a disdain for the game itself... or the viewer. They choose style over substance. The true product is hidden.

What's worse, I suspect a wider view would actually appeal to people. Appreciation would increase. And they wouldn't lose any shots, they'd be adding more so it would give them more variety for replays etc.

Of course, in the future I hope they give viewers a choice of views via digital TV options.

Until then, it's a missed opportunity.

Its funny how opposite our opinions on this are, lol. As long as the game is well produced, I strongly prefer the tighter camera angles. I've complained a lot that FOX backs way too far off, to the point that its like watching a game in the stands where I'm too far back to see the action.

I'm not a coach, and I really don't have a strong desire to see what's happening too far away from the ball. Again, if the game is well produced, I figure that the TV crew will show us a replay of what happened if its important.

And I absolutely cannot stand when they show live action from behind the offense or defense straight up the field. It drives me crazy.

AGAGuyNamedAlexForum Veteran
Oct 4, 2020, 07:01 AM

I prefer a larger view too.

It's hard to know if the QB missed seeing a wide open receiver or if the the defense shut his options down with the short view.

The_Dark_KnightThe_Dark_KnightForum Veteran
Oct 5, 2020, 11:16 PM

"firedan wrote:

Some of the announcers are not all that either.At times I turn off the sound and listen to the radio broadcast but depending on who that is, it might be as bad.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve yelled at Cris Collinsworth to STFU!!!!

yap yap yap yap yap yap...like an annoying chihuahua that won’t shut up!

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”