1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you rather pay for Mathis or do you trust our OG competition?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bpk, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Right now Jamil Douglas, Dallas Thomas and Billy Turner are competing for two starting Guard spots.

Do you feel more comfortable betting in the two winners of that competition or would you rather pay Mathis a big salary to secure on of those Guard spots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Has anyone clarified our cap situation for the next few years if we do sign Mathis? I've been all for signing him because I don't trust Thomas (especially him), but what happens to our cap?

3. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    I believe the Dolphins will let the competition play out with who we have in camp now. I would love to have Mathis for a couple of years but we cannot afford him at this time.:up:

4. Bpk

What concerns me is that even if two of those youngins step up, with Turner and Douglas winning the competition... our depth is still Dallas Thomas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tin Indian, Pandarilla and rafael like this.
  5. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I prefer signing Mathis and having one of the younger guys (Turner, Douglas or Thomas) fill the last spot. I see the inside run as a key to our offense and would rather not trust 2/3 of that to young players (or Thomas at all if I'm being honest). Not to mention that we have a plethora of good to really good DTs in our division so signing on of the top Gs seems like a good idea.

dolfan22, Bpk and Pandarilla like this.
  6. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Pay for Mathis.

PhinFan1968, Bpk and Pandarilla like this.
  7. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I agree Dallas Thomas or Jamil Douglas as depth is worrisome. Not that I agree with it, but I feel like the front office and staff will at least see how guys like Jacques McClendon, Jeff Linkenbach, Donald Hawkins and the UDFAs like Walker, Savage, and Leidtke all acquit themselves in camp before they make a move.

My hope is that Jamil Douglas emerges at left guard as Billy Turner seems to be the favorite on the right. That said, I think Dallas Thomas will begin the season at left guard and hopefully Douglas will supplant him at some point in 2015.

I'd like to be able to make a move for Mathis, if possible. Perhaps there's some sort of package deal where Miami gives up Dion Jordan and...something <pick/player> for Mathis and potentially Matt Barkley (a Lazor favorite and a developmental QB to groom to replace Moore down the line). I just don't know if/when that might materialize.

8. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    If it's doable cap wise, pay Mathis.

Tin Indian likes this.
  9. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
    This.

10. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    In a sense it's like the team is taking a boom or bust approach to the OL. If all goes well and everyone remains healthy the OL of Albert, Douglas, Pouncey, Turner & James could do quite well, but if Albert gets injured again, Douglas isn't up to it, nor Turner, then we're up the NFL creek without a paddle.

If the team can see it's way clear to not bolster the DL, how come it's (seemingly) happy with this OL?

11. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    You might wanna watch the games where Thomas played guard. Or check around the league to see how good the typical back up offensive guard is.

No offense but the Dallas Thomas shtick is embarrassingly exaggerated.

12. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    The Dolphins must have the world's greatest offense if people are seriously concerned about who's gonna play LG. It was Daryn Colledge last year and Incognito before that. Instead of hyperventilating try thinking about how you're NOT concerned about QB, WR, OT, etc.

13. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I would rather get Mathis. Mostly because then fans would stop talking about getting Mathis.

Fin D and Bpk like this.
  14. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    I am concerned about the QB, WR AND OT.

OT - I'm concerned we have no depth and if Albert goes down we'll be in trouble - like last year.
    WR- I'm concerned that if the OL doesn't play well or at least hold up, T17 won't have the time to let long plays develop properly.
    QB - I'm concerned that the most sacked QB over the last two years will become the most sacked QB over the last three years, or worse, will be seriously injured.

15. btfu149

btfu149 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    If we can afford to give him a prove it 1 year deal like Grimes and Keller got in 2013, I'm all for it.

16. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    [​IMG]

Why would anything ever work out with the offensive line?

MikeHoncho and 77FinFan like this.
  17. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    As someone on the outside, I would pay for Mathis. But I have a hunch that our coaches and front office thInk some people are going to step up this year

Bpk likes this.
  18. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    The reason they're not going to get him IMO is because they don't want to allocate resources to that position. I don't think they view it as important enough to spend money on. I think they're fine allocating toward center and tackle but not guard.

Bpk likes this.
  19. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Well, they've positioned themselves to offer Mitchell in a trade that would be an even swap for Mathis.

20. Bpk

So far so good with that plan the last couple seasons!

21. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    If Mathis is cut by the Eagles. and a fair but team friendly offer by the Fins is the best he can get, I'm all for getting him. I am opposed to trading for him though, both due to his contract and giving up picks.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  22. Bpk

Hm. that's interesting. I'm not sure they wanna move Mitchell though. Unless Suh has voiced a preference for playing with his guy from Detroit beside him.

Give a choice of

A) Suh-Mosley with Phillips/Francis/Johnson as depth + Mathis-Pouncey-Turner with Douglas as depth

OR

B) Suh-Mitchell with Phillips/Francis/Johnson as depth + Thomas-Pouncey-Turner with Douglas as depth

I think we win more games with A.

23. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Hard to not like or want Mathis , as long as the price is acceptable. Both salary and acquisition wise.

Still holding some hope he ends up here .

24. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

I'm on that train...this has been one awesome off-season IMHO...only thing that could blow it over the top would be Mathis.

dolfan22 and Fin4Ever like this.
  25. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    What team is not going to have issues if their Pro Bowl LT is unavailable?

The offense is designed around quick passes, 1, 3, 5 step drops. If the offense is balanced average pass pro will be good enough.

Before Tannehill came into the league the most sacked QBs in the NFL were Aaron Rodgers and Ben Roethlisberger.

There's nothing wrong w/ talking about weaknesses and voicing concerns but there needs to be some context. The reasons to be optimistic about this year's offense far outweigh the reasons to be worried, IMHO.

Fin D and Fin4Ever like this.
  26. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    That's a relief. We're talking offensive guard here folks.

I wonder how many of the people who are concerned about OG can name 5 OG combos league wide.

27. Bpk

Different question: Does Evan Mathis raise our chances of being a Superbowl contender? If so, by how much?

28. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Offensive guard has about as much impact on the average game as a kicker or punter. Philly is trying to get rid of their All Pro OG, the Pats got rid of Logan Mankins in exchange for a mid round pick and a backup TE. James Carpenter was let go by... Lol google him and find out. Who played OG for Green Bay and Indy last year? Hint: Donald Thomas, yeah that Donald Thomas was starting for Indy before he went on IR in September. They still made the AFCCG.

29. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Yeah, but those teams either have a history of putting together a good OL (e.g. NE) or they have a QB that is harder to take down (e.g. Luck, RW). We really haven't proven we can put together a good OL even with some 1st round talent, at least if you measure it by pressure up the middle.

Maybe the problem is our coaches and not our players (which would preserve your argument), but until I see our coaches put together a good OL that can stop pressure up the middle, I think we need a talent injection there, which is why Mathis would be good (if it doesn't hurt our cap situation too much).

How much of a difference would plugging the OG position make? I'd say on average 3+ points per game, which is about the same as what maybe a great kicker vs. average might do (going with your analogy). That's also enough to give us maybe one more win per season, possibly.

30. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    To me, this is a no brainer. IF you have the money, you sign Mathis, try to backload the contract to 2017. He immediately, dramatically upgrades our weakest position that also happens to be one of the most critical components to winning the division with the DLines we will face this year.

Pandarilla likes this.
  31. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    That's a good point about the coaches. They need to either develop some young guys to fill the positions or scheme around the issue if it becomes one. They can't go running to the GM for FA's and high draft picks every time something comes up.

Buffalo has as good a set of DTs as you'll find in the NFL. D Thomas came in to replace Shelly Smith and held his own. He did it again the next two weeks vs KC and Oakland. He replaced Colledge vs Jax and helped stabilize the interior. Obviously he was out of his league at OT but that was against guys like Mario Williams-Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil. He wasn't at all terrible vs Ninkovich, Griffen or Coples. It helps me to go back and study the tape instead of trying to remember off the top of my head or looking at PFF numbers.

32. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Mathis, please.

33. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Me too, borderline negligent if they don't make a move...every preseason puff piece has a caveat about the Dolphins. It's the guards.

Bpk and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  34. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Quality OL play allows RT17 to operate at his best, which is huge. Its not like its baseball, where we're talking about a crap third baseman being replaced by an all star and how many wins that adds to a team.

Bpk likes this.
  35. Fin4Ever

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Yes,Thomas has been at Indy for several years now..they are needed in the running game allot and it helps if good in pass pro also.

36. Fin4Ever

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Yes,yes, if we can get him..bring him on..I don't really know what is taking so long..I think T-Baum is prolonging the inevitable imho. :up:

37. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I don't think anyone outside of the Dolphins organization has any faith in Dallas Thomas. I certainly don't trust him at any position on the line as a starter or back up.
    If you can make the money work for Mathis you do the deal. I don't see it happening though.