1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow what a sloppy, UGLY game.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by BuckeyeKing, Aug 27, 2009.

Tags:
  1. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I don't feel nearly as confident in Henne now after this game. Yikes his game tonight.

Run Blocking wasn't very good at all I dunno I know its preseason but there was few positives to take away from this game.

I did like what I saw from Moses and Hartline.

Sean Smith looked like he was still recovering from the Flu.

Also Lex Hillard is not safe from being cut wasn't very impressed tonight by him.

Ultra and Bpk like this.
  2. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Henne's played pretty smart though. The pick was brutal, no doubt about that. But he's been sacked alot, but theyve been smart sacks, he's learned from the pass he tried to force in week 1 instead of taking the sack. Nice to see that happening.

I agree basically in whole though, pretty ugly game on all accounts. Hartline did impress though. 3 catches, 79 yards, plus he had a 32 (i think) yard reception called back on an offensive PI call.

Not exactly what I was hoping to see from a nationally televised game, in week 3 of the preseason.

3. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    ugly blechhhhh... guess we had to have one game like this. a few stood out. hartline, moses, wake. really boring and flat. glaad its over

4. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    The whole game was terrible.

I was bored watching.

Ultra likes this.
  5. NolePhin

NolePhin Look out for D-Bess

Apr 27, 2009
    Davie, FL
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the Dolphins had 2 penalties for 22yards vs the Bucs 13/14 for 80/90yds.

If that was the case, you gotta be pretty happy about that. The Dolphins are much more disciplined in that aspect. Except for that Reggie Torbor personal foul where he smacked that guy in the face mask.

I have to admit, I love Sparano man, the guy is fiery on the sidelines from start to finish. Regardless if its pre-season or regular season, first string or third string, first quarter or fourth. You have to love the passion this guy coaches the game with. I would definitely pay money to have him mic'd up and hear him on the sidelines. Especially when he's tearing into a player after a stupid mistake.

PhinsRock, NyPhinfan, Tone_E and 2 others like this.
  6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think Q moved off the bubble, and Vontae Davis is a better tackler than a cover corner, he is just really physical.

Hartline looked good, Henne looked underwhelming, and Sean Smith handled what the Bucs threw at him

gafinfan likes this.
  7. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    The only way we could have been more inept would have been for us to have allowed a touchdown.

opfinistic and Alex44 like this.
  8. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    A win is a win. Pulling out ugly games is just as important as playing beautiful football. IMO

9. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    well when the game means nothing, like this, a pre season game, i rather see us play better than this then get the win, if we played a great game but lost, it would have been a hell of a lot better than this, Lions went 4-0 last year in preseason,

10. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Agree 100%. But the win still doesn't take away the ugly. If they play offense and if the secondary continues to play like that, there's going to be a lot of ugly and not enough wins.

Alex44 likes this.
  11. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Going up against a Tampa team that still isn't settled on the quarterback, having your STARTING o-line out there way too long and only putting up 13 points is embarrassing on the road. Any well-established team we could have faced would certainly ended up as a loss.

After 3 weeks of play I still have yet to see anything impressive. I'm hoping that this taste in my mouth is vanilla rather than ****. I don't like this taste at all.

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  12. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    How did you guys think Lex Hilliard looked? IMO, I think he outplayed his stats. He had some pretty tough yards, and ran hard.

13. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Yeah but I'm being optimistic that most of our games won't look like this. I'll take the happy side of things and just say I'm confident in our ability to pull out the ugly ones until things get better.

A lot of our wins last season werent exactly pretty either.

14. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Ugly game but I'm not going to discount the good play from the previous two games because of one bad game.

15. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    rather peak in december/january than august...

cnc66 and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  16. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    How hard is it to wrap someone up? Way too many missed tackles, we should have revovered the ball after that blocked punt, we should have recovered that fumble in the ensuing drive.

The only time I smiled all night was when I listened to Luke McCown speak, ****ing Rhodes Scholar right there.:lol:

Samphin likes this.
  17. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    they didnt have their legs tonight, playin 3 games in 11 days during a tough training camp will do that to ya..

opfinistic, cnc66 and GridIronKing34 like this.
  18. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    excuses, excuses.

Agua likes this.
  19. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    yeah, I was wondering when that was going to catch up to them...

20. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    He fumbled, right?

21. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    No doubt they should have recovered that blocked punt but the second fumble on that drive was going to be difficult for Miami to recover. Jason Taylor was the closest one to it and he was 5+ yards away. Only way they recover it is if one of the offensive linemen couldn't fall on it.

22. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    What exactly are you looking to see in the preseason?

23. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    And those complaining about the run blocking the offensive line hasn't really had much opportunity to show what they can do. Miami only ran the ball around 10 times this game. The play calling can be very puzzling at times.

24. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Probably more on the progression side of things. Tonight they took a couple of steps backwards. I'm not looking for perfection, just looking for signs of a well-put-together team. Tonight definitely wasn't even a close to an average outing. Blame it on the weather or what have you, it just didn't look like a team that shows tons of promise facing one of, if not, the hardest schedules in the NFL. I wasn't impressed at all.

Let's just hope this was just a hiccough in progression or growing pains during the 3 games in 11 days explanation. That's what I'm going to chalk it up to. Pennington looked less tham his normal self, Henne had an abysmal performance, and the receivers looked like they couldn't catch a cold. At least we know the defensive backs have that excuse.

25. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    From the start of the game most of the players looked very bleh and slow. Couple that with what I thought was very vanilla playcalling offensively and defensively and you are going to get poor results. I think the main factor was fatigue kicking in, what else could it be when the whole team looks the way they did.

Like I said I'm not going to discount good play from the previous two preseason games because of one bad one.

26. Outtawack311

Outtawack311 New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    What I was thinking when I watched the game were two things; "damn we suck" and "It sure as hell looks like the Bucs game planned for this game"

I don't know if it is blind optimism or not, but I think the 1st year head coach used this game as real practice for game plannning. I mean it would be kind of stupid to go into your first year as a head coach and not practice that at least once before the season starts. Maybe that is the reason (or excuse) for our horrendous showing tonight because I can't see a team taking that kind of step back in execution for no reason.

27. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    I guess I was expecting too much from a preseason game. The last two games had me salivating as what to expect from this match up. It was like hooking up with a hot chick and she does the starfish. Just blows your mind.

I did feel good at the end of the game that we actually won despite how anoemic the offense played, maybe thats just a good representation of how a good team plays crappy and still wins the game.

At the end of the day, a win is a win....

28. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    I think we should start a drinking game where every time an announcer uses the term "quarterback friendly" to describe Bess you take a shot. So far every announcer this season has used that exact term.

opfinistic and padre31 like this.
  29. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    He did... Henne threw an INT in the redzone too... just saying.

30. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Yes, he did.

31. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Quite the gifted young speaker isn't he? :wink2:

Didn't he come up with: "Momma always says stupid is as stupid does." Or what that a different Southern mental giant? :wink2:

32. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    They'll lighten the load in training camp... get them more prepared for the regular season. I doubt you'll see some of the starters in the game for more than 1 quarter. Every season coaches push players until their "legs" come of, then they lighten the load to prepare for the regular season.

I think we've reached that point now.

33. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Who the f cares....really? These guys have worked their arses off in TC...played in 3 games in what 11 days? Im more impressed with the fact we had low penalties and nothing serious in the way of injuries.

You think any of those guys who know they are starting...were goin balls to the walls in a preseason game..with regular season 2 weeks away?

SargeZ33 likes this.
  34. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Wow...a lot of folks seem awfully worried about a sloppy game on a sloppy track.
    Relax people.
    In November we won't even remember this game. While it is nice to see the team play sharp, don't overreact when they seem a bit sluggish, especially in preseason.

35. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

All I can say is Tony and his staff will have a LOT to yell at players about for the next week, which may be the only decent thing about that ugly boring game.

36. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    overall, a very disappointing game
    too much to fix to talk about
    :cry:
    year two in the rebuilding process requires immediate attention:yes:
    In 2010 We Will Contend!:up:

37. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    I don't read much at all into bad preseason performances from the team as a whole.

Teams like Indy and New England always look pretty terrible in preseason. New England put up 6 points against the Bengals. They won't score less than that in a single quarter this season.

Indy historically looks awful and inept in the preseason and wind up winning 12 games every year.

IMO, only good things came out of this preseason game....no injuries (knocks on wood). We'll also go into the season confident, but not over confident.

Now we can go into the 4th preseason game where our starters play 2 drives and be at full strength come September 13th.

38. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    well, this was probably the first game a lot of us were able to see, since it was nationally televised, and they came out and layed an egg. The goods were we blocked a punt (that also turned into a bad when we muffed the recovery). We didn't have many penalties. We started to get pressure after the rain delay. Our secondary played awful against scrub recievers, that concrened me. That game would have been much worse had Clayton and Bryant been playing, or if Leftwich could throw an accurate pass...

39. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    If the third preseason game is a dress rehearsal for the regular season, this team is in big, big trouble. But frankly I don't think we gameplanned for this game at all. The coaching was horrible, the schemes were inept and the execution was zombie-like. I can only hope this is an abberation. I was much more comfortable with our team before this game, let me tell you. We managed to make Byron Leftwich look like an NFL starter, and that's freaking sad.

40. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    ugly