1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow. Who is this Guy?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Boomer, Apr 7, 2009.

1. njfinfan

njfinfan The First Lady

Nov 23, 2007
    Newark, NJ
    Thanks Simon. Excellently written and perfectly crafted questions to CB.

cnc66 and Boomer like this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Amazing...as usual Boomer, and Walters seems destined to end up in San Diego.

Rey M...that doesn't make much sense...

Boomer and njfinfan like this.
  3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    BTW Boomer, nice interview with Cody Brown, do you think he is on the radar for us in the late second or third round?

4. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Would love Connor at 44 but he likely will go higher than that.

5. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    I'd say he's a 2nd round pick. I don't see him in Miami.

6. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    When it comes to Darius Butler and Cody Brown, remember that Connecticut Head Coach Randy Edsall was Paul Pasqualoni's Defensive Coordinator from 1987 to 1990 at Syracuse. They speak the same language. When Paul asks Randy, for instance, whether Cody Brown can make the mental transition to linebacker where he would be forced to read a lot more action, or whether Cody Brown is in fact dumb as a box of rocks, I would expect that Pasqualoni is going to hear the straight truth.

The same goes for when/if Paul asks Randy whether or not Darius Butler will ever get better at tackling.

Boomer likes this.
  7. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Wow you interviewed Cody Brown. I thought you weren't a fan of his Boomer :shifty:

Great stuff Boomer.

8. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Thanks mate, I enjoyed the heck out of the interview, and all the info. I see more opportunitues in your future as the result of this and I am proud as I can be of you. Don't forget the pea-pickers when you become rich and famous!!

njfinfan and Boomer like this.
  9. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Thanks Boomer, awesome stuff as always!

Boomer likes this.
  10. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I've never seen him in a mock draft any higher than 56th, and most mock drafts don't have him higher than the 3rd round.

OOPS, I was thinking you meant Cody Brown

11. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Very funny. You got me! Great job once again.

12. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I have expressed plenty of caution about Barwin at #25 in the past and I really can't shake that feeling.

WOULD he even see the field in 2009? That's my question. Because he is a good run stopper, however he is not at Matt Roth's level yet. And, as a pass rusher I feel like he got by in 2008 because he was more athletic than the people he was facing, and could run around (often without even making contact) them faster than they could keep up. Not even necessarily on the speed rush, just flat out chase...weaving between blockers. I feel like in pursuit of the ball he might try and use his athleticism to go around blockers instead of filling gaps more effectively.

In other words, I think he'll be significantly worse against the run compared with Matt Roth, without being significantly better in pass rush, and he's going to have a long way to go in learning about coverage. In the sub packages I'd be willing to bet both Joey Porter and Cameron Wake are better pass rushers. So, when is he going to get on the field?

When I think of Connor Barwin...a name comes to mind. Vernon Gholston. I know that will draw criticism from folks but the big problem with Gholston was that he just couldn't do enough yet to make it onto the football field at all as a rookie. If that happens to Connor Barwin, everyone's going to be calling him a disappointment and a bust and they won't care that he was taken at #25 as opposed to #6.

On the other hand when I look at a Paul Kruger, I could swear to you that guy's ability against the run is already competitive with Matt Roth's. Or at least, it will be by the time he gets through an entire off season program. He's already more athletic, and has instincts and experience in coverage, so you could maybe even call that a wash. And then as a pass rusher, I think he has a good chance of edging Roth as a pass rusher by the time camp gets through. And so I believe Paul Kruger could take the field as a rookie, either eat into Roth's playing time or outright supplant him, and that will give him a better chance to improve his skills because he'll be playing football.

And I have to think...that's important. You only get these guys on the cheap for four years anymore. If one of these guys is going to be playing in his first year and the other probably will not, you'd better be sure that other guy is going to be significantly better for the other three years.

13. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Not meant to be rude Ck, but Connor and Vernon are on two opposite ends of the spectrum...... and Barwin will be an immediate impact on special teams. You didn't mention his amazing instincts and ability to learn very quickly.... or his knack for putting himself in the right place at the right time. You also forget his relentless, never tiring motor that gives 110% on every play he's on the field.... or that fact that he makes everyone around him better. Gholston is nowhere near that. Barwin exemplifies team leader/defensive captain/work ethic/intensity/drive and desire. He doesn't disappear every other play.

Connor doesn't just run around people. He runs through them... over them.. whatever he has to do to get to the ball carrier or disrupt the play.... and he doesn't stop coming. There is nothing wrong with his future ability to shed blockers in order to stuff the run. His core body strength and exposion when taking on a blocker is on the verge of becoming phenominal... plus he plays smart. If something he's doing isn't effective, you can bet your butt he will change it very quickly. You act as like Connor's the only person who will have to learn something new in the NFL, and what he has to learn will be so monumental that Einstein himself couldn't understand it. LOL.

I don't see Vernon blocking kicks, impacting on ST, showing up on everydown, having the endurance to chase to a play down from behind and come right back full steam the next play. I don't see Vernon a factor in breaking up passes like Barwin.... and he doensn't have the football intelligence/instincts to sniff out plays like Connor. Gholston's just a big, strong, fast guy who used his natural ability to beat inferior talent. He doesn't show the capacity to disect a play and wreak havoc on it like Barwin, and Connor did that in less than 1 year..... and the play doesn't have to be right in front of Connor to make an impact.

How about in passing downs when Barwin's not rushing the passer and he's using his lateral speed and long arms to get in the way of a QB flushed from the pocket? How about when he stops a swing pass in the flats for a 1 yard gain? Or knifes through a screen for a 5 yard loss? How about the RBs he strings wide so they can't turn it upfield for a quality gain? Or the punt block that's taken back to the house for a momentum shifter? Maybe you're having difficulty not visualizing the dump off pass that he cuts in front of and takes in for a pick6? Or the entire defense that's pumped up when he's on the field? The kid's an absolute playmaker in every sense of the word!!! And that's what our defense needs!! :headscratch:I don't see how you don't see that. Again, I don't mean it to be rude... and you said you'll get some flack for it... but I'm at a loss for words. (even though it doesn't look like it) :D

MrClean likes this.
  14. MrClean

Wow, Todd, I don't think anyone could describe Barwin much better than that. I can't see a comparison to Gholston either. I'd say Gholston is the anti-Barwin.
    The way Conner was able to learn a new position to impact so fast as a senior was pretty amazing. You would never seen Gholston adapt like that in 1 season.

15. MrClean

You could make an argument that most all the top pass rushers in this draft were more athletic than the guys they were facing. How can you use his ability to use his superior athleticism as a negative? Larry English used his superior athletic ability in the MAC all the time to make plays.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  16. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Ditto, MC. Since when did athelticism coupled with all of his other gifts etc become a bad thing? LOL

I will say this though.... If a team's defined role for its SOLB is a player who will exclusively go north-south to rush the passer and stuff the run, then I wouldn't draft Connor either.... b/c you're wasting his potential. This kid has the abililty to greatly expand the traditional role of SOLB. There is sooo much you can do with Connor on defense it will make an OC's head spin!! How about his ability to allow us to blitz from the corner more often? I forgot that one. :wink2:

Connor has the potential to redefine the SOLB position in the way that LT did as a Hybrid. He's a new breed that could realistically set the sandard for which all future WOLB are compared. Gotta think outside the box when you look at Barwin's future.... as I'm sure you'll agree, too, MC.

MrClean likes this.
  17. PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN

PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    I'd still rather have Clint Sintim than Connor Barwin.

18. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I like Sintim a lot. He's a great kid!! I'd actually like to se him in the middle. If that were the case I'd possibly take them both back to back.

I just feel that Barwin is a little more dynamic than Clint.

19. PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN

PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    If we can draft Barwin, then Sintim after that sign me up.

Xeticus and ToddsPhins like this.