1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WQAM's Big O reports Lecharles Bentley is now seriously being considered

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finatic8480, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Finatic8480

Finatic8480 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Miami
    The Big O just announced that the Dolphins are seriously thinking of bringing in Lecharles Bentley to add Depth to the O-line. He went on to say that by adding Bentley you could probably move Satele to the RG spot to compete with Donald Thomas.

I kinda disagree with Big O in saying that the addition of Lecharles would knock Satele out of the starting rotation, If anything it would probably slide him to one of the G spot and add excelent Depth to the o-line.

He also went on to say the Bentley is complete healthy. WoW could you imagine adding Penington, Bentley and another WR. WoW! Both could clearly be added with the two roster spots available.

slickj101, Larryfinfan and baboo72 like this.
  2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Bentley wants to play guard. If we bring him in, and he's fully healthy, then either guard spot is his; I don't think Smiley will mind moving if Sparano wants Bentley at LG. That said, I doubt it'll happen. Our issue is depth at tackle, not guard.

3. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bring him in! The guy was incredible when healthy and is well worth the risk.

DOLFANMIKE likes this.
  4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Seth McKinney's knee is coming around slowly, he has been knocked around pretty consistently in Training Camp, if we bring in Bentley, it could mean Seth is moving to the IR.

CrunchTime likes this.
  5. baboo72

baboo72 Bleeding aqua & orange

Mar 23, 2008
    Watford, England
    I would rather have Bentley than the guy who I wont mention as there are a million threads on! :up:

6. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I wouldn't mind bringing him in if he's healthy. I think he would make a great addition to the line if the coaches feel that Thomas isnt ready to start yet.

7. Lab3003

Lab3003 Golden era

Nov 23, 2007
    Bal Harbour, FL
    Bentley? Meh...for what? I agree with Desides the team needs tackle depth. The team already has a center in Satele.

8. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I would think they'd want Bentley to play LG, moving Smiley back to his familiar RG spot. They just want a veteran presence next to Long and the guys we have just don't fit that bill, without moving Smiley...

alen1 and RoninFin4 like this.
  9. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    If we brought in Bentley, I don't think it's fair to automatically plug him in as a starter. More likely, he'd be brought in for backup C/G purposes as we don't have much there anyways (of course we are even thinner at T). I also don't think Bentley would be brought in until after week 1 due to salary being guaranteed if he's brought in before then (and with his injury history, probably a good idea).

10. phinphever

phinphever Punk, Make My Day!!

Dec 20, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    It's Steve, Seth has been gone for a while now.

padre31 likes this.
  11. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I would be against it. I would rather let Thomas play his way into being a pro. By all accounts one of the knocks is experience, and he won't get it watching a supposed malcontent play. He needs to be in there, right now.

I saw one game that Thomas played and he jumped off the screen at me, usually when that happens it means something. I know that sounds rather filled with self importance but I trust my gut implicitly.

MrClean likes this.
  12. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    i was a big fan of bringing him in when the saints let him go but i am liking the news of how donald thomas is doing at guard and while it seems we are at more pressing need at the tackle position depth we are in the same boat with the gaurd spot..who after smiley and thomas are really looking good? really nobody. atleast if bently is brought in it makes us better at one possibly 2 positions. even our center position lacks in depth..after satele theres mckinney who is having trouble both with his knee and blocking.

we could have bentley at gaurd while thomas gets a yr under or we could have bentley backing up both g/c(which reports are he doesnt want to be a back-up) or if we can talk him into playing center(afterall a job is a job)and move satele over (his original position was gaurd at hw)with thomas still getting a yr under.

13. vinivedivichi

vinivedivichi New Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Tampa
    Does Jake Long have a hook for a right arm in your sig? Kingpin style?

Conuficus likes this.
  14. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I think Bentley would be playing LG

15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah, I'd be interested in bringing Bentley back but I like Thomas a lot. We're not going anywhere this year so it wouldn't be all that bad if Thomas struggled a bit. He has constantly been praised this off-season for being heavy and strong. Also, it would play into Parcells quote of the young players developing together.

16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Then where does that leave Smiley? The big FA acquisition. He hasn't been that impressive in camp but I'm sure they want him starting come season opener.

17. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Which means that Smiley would be playing RG and Thomas would be without a spot.

18. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    If he hasn't been playing well in camp, then he will need to beat out Bentley.

19. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Not if Thomas is outplaying Smiley.

20. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    I highly doubt that the FO is going to bench one of their big offseason investments for a rookie. As well as Thomas, Langford and Merling are doing, I don't see the FO starting them over the vets. That could all change later on in the season if the vets aren't getting the job done, but for now I think they're safe.

alen1 likes this.
  21. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I think the FO is going to start the best players, whether they be rookies, UDFAs, or bums off the street. If they let a guy like Smiley just have the job because he is paid more, then you are telling Smiley and the team that poor play is acceptable if you are a high priced FA.

MrClean likes this.
  22. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Where are people getting the impression that Smiley hasn't played well? I've not heard one negative comment on him. If we bring in Bentley its simply because we want a veteran instead of the rookie. And if Bentley is healthy (which is a huge "if") he's a top guard in this league.

Brown42000 and Larryfinfan like this.
  23. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    With all due respect to everyone's opinion; I can't understand why anyone would be against bringing in a player if he improves the position right now
    Bentley is 29. He's been to a couple of pro bowls.
    If he's a better center than Satele why wouldn't you want him to start? The same holds true at G.
    Typically rookies/developing players get their live game experience in pre-season and in regular season garbage time.
    I understand building for the future, but I don't understand sacrificing the present for a future that may or may not include winning. It's not as if we would be sacrificing the future for the present in signing a guy like Bentley.
    Right now look at our OL roster and tell me that Bentley wouldn't help it.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  24. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    I haven't read anything from anyone saying that Smiley has played poorly, let alone so poorly that he is in danger of losing his starting spot. So that would mean that Thomas is the odd man out and by all accounts he is doing really well and getting the attention of the defensive players. I think we should stick with what we have and let the young players develop.

25. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    We are a rebuilding team, if we already have young players at those positions that are doing well, why bring in older players that will only stunt their growth and development?

cnc66 likes this.
  26. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I read a few things previously regarding Smiley getting thrown to the ground and generally being unimpressive. If these reports are true about our interest in Bentley, it would confirm that.

27. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Because not everyone is of the opinion that it would stunt their development. Some would say that competition breeds excellence.

late again likes this.
  28. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    If healthy, Bentley is an upgrade to any teams Offensive Line. However, Miami or whoever signs him better bring him in quick.

29. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Not to sound like a dick, but do you have a link on that? I'd like to read it because I totally missed it.

If we bring Bentley in it's because the FO wants him to start over a rookie.

30. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    So does experience and these guys aren't going to get experience by riding the pine.

31. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    If you have a Bentley, there's no way you can be seen driving a Honda, even if the Honda gets the job done.

32. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    If he's healthy, it's a no-brainer, you bring him in.

He'll be a major improvement to the line and you'll see Ronnie and Ricky really start to win some games for us from day one.

If you add Chad Pennington as well, I think some will be surprised just how many games we win this year.

MrClean likes this.
  33. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I guess thats where we disagree. There is plenty of experienced gained by being a backup in the league.

34. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    My thoughts exactly. Bentley is a sure-fire upgrade over the G depth we have (Darilek, Murphy, Byrne, etc). However, given Donald Thomas' strong taking to RG, it'd be hard for me to move him to backup if I were Tony Sparano...just a thought.

As far as tackle depth, my $ is still on Pat McQuistan or whomever the odd man out in Dallas happens to be.

CrunchTime likes this.
  35. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    IMO there is something going on with McKinney that has not been published yet.Either he is not recovering from his injury or there is another issue involved.

I think thats one of the reasons that there has been so much interest in adding another OL since the draft.Sosa has been mentioned as well as Bentley .

36. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Agreed and if he's truly struggling, it could be because he's been at LG and he's really a RG...I haven't heard anything negative about Smiley...

Ironic how the OL issues have dwarfed the QB battle going on...

37. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    OL issues?

There really haven't been that many.

Smiley has been ok, Thomas has done well, Satele decent, Long good, and Carey great.

What's the major issue? Depth?

38. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    yeah, we're ridiculously thin at tackle.

39. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I expect someone to be signed still out of a TC battle that was lost. It's a problem, but not as bad as our WR performances after Hagan-Ginn.

40. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    About a month ago I had heard that Bentley was no where near healthy. Reportedly, he was running the 40 in the 7s. That's not what you want from a pulling guard. You don't need them to be sprinters but you need the offense to work in time. A time that slow is probably the result of him just not being healthy. That was reportedly the reason why he was cut and that nobody signed the young probowl lineman. I wonder if he's recovered or if the Big O is just hearing he's healthy from Bentley's agent.