1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WR and TE who is the best solution IYO and Why ?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by fastball83, Jan 19, 2013.

1. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    If we trade back our 1st and have 6 picks in the top 82, there's no reason to rule out Lacy IMO.

2. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    top end of the draft doesnt seem to be outstanding so why would anyone want to trade up with us?

3. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Desperation. Think Cleveland.

4. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Which player precisely is Cleveland desperate for?

mroz likes this.
  5. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Cleveland should be looking to trade back and pick up more talent

6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm willing to Roz..I'm not comfortable letting reggie be our primary back...

This position has the potential to touch the ball 20 times a games, I want consistent production, and there are three guys I'd like for us to look at real hard..Lacy...Montee Ball..Step Taylor...

I think the added dimension and nature that Lacy could bring to the team would be worth the pick..he's big..he's talented..and he runs angry..we haven't had that here in a long time.

GMJohnson likes this.
  7. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Dont think he is coming back. I would love to see Miller get a couple hundred carries to see what he can do.

How about Lattimore late in the draft and let him sit for a year?

Steve-Mo likes this.
  8. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Last year. Weeden.

9. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Since when does Cleveland do what they should do?

10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Jmo, I don't think he's a first round talent, I do with Eiffert, I don't have him and Eiffert as equals on really any level..

EIffert has got great body control, he has that basketball ability to box out his defender or have the strength to get his body into positions to better make the catch, and is better at catching the ball under duress..

He has much better hands..

I like the way Eiffert is built over Ertz, Eiffert has power in his game, Ertz is more finesse in his physicality..There are some lower body differences that favor Eiffert.

I believe Eiffert is the better more explosive overall athlete.

Disgustipate likes this.
  11. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Oh man, my take on Lattimore is from the injury that I saw happen, and the destruction that took place on that knee, for me, I couldn't pull the trigger on that player at this time..I would simply let someone else take that risk.

12. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    point taken

13. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    what is the risk in spending a 6th or 7th round pick on the guy?

14. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Are you intentionally misspelling Eifert just to get my reaction? :)

I do not see Ertz as being less physical and more finesse than Eifert.

15. MrClean

Seems like I've read that before too. So since Jennings has had groin pull issues, they chances of his having them again are greater than with a player who's never had them.

16. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm not by any means an expert, but Ertz makes Dustin Keller look like a grizzled old converted tackle out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u5_y3oVj30

It seems like just can't shoot straight. He misses blockers, slips off of guys he gets, doesn't sustain blocks, lunges for guys and does a lot of what seems like it would be a block in the back if he put more effort into it.

It's funny, because there's one play in there where it looks like he gives a really good block and gets more movement on that play than the rest of the game combined, but then he slips up and the guy he was blocking forces a fumble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u5_y3oVj30&t=3m55s

I don't think Eiffert is ever going to be a great blocker but he seems at least serviceable in-line, Ertz just kind of doesn't seem to give a ****.

djphinfan likes this.
  17. MrClean

They both have the tools to be good blockers, though both need work on it. The bottom line to me though is we couldn't go wrong drafting either one.

18. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Deej just has a sticky f key, Marve. Probably from all those chats on LiveJasmine. :shifty:

MrClean likes this.
  19. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I don't see how drafting Eifert or Ertz would kill our run game when it didn't hurt the top 4 run teams (Wash, Minne, Seattle, 49ers) to have a similar sized, pass-oriented TE as a starter, nor did it prevent Peterson from having a monster 2k year, and nor did it kill Houston & Baltimore's ground game having a pass catching, starting TE.

Houston: Owen Daniels, 6'3 249. Garrett Graham, 6'3 244.
    Baltimore: Dennis Pitta, 6'4 245. Ed Dickson, 6'4 255.
    Washington: Fred Davis, 6'4 247. Logan Paulson, 6'5 261. Niles Paul 6'1 233
    Minnesota: Kyle Rudolph, 6'6 258. Jon Carlson, 6'5 248.
    Seattle: Zach Miller, 6'5 255. Anthony McCoy, 6'5 259.
    49ers: Vernon Davis, 6'3 250. Delanie Walker, 6'0 242. Garrett Celek, 6'5 252.

Tyler Eifert, 6'5 252.
    Zach Ertz 6'6 252.
    Vance McDonald 6'4 262.
    These 3 guys fit right in size wise.

MrClean likes this.
  20. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Given what's available I'd be pissed if we took a TE in the first two rounds. Too many CBs, WRs, DEs available IMO. If there was a Winslow or Vernon Davis type then yeah, but these guys seem like marginal upgrades over what we already have, not game changers.

21. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Not a big fan of Ertz, personally.

Disgustipate likes this.
  22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    As for the WR position I realize that he's recovering from a very serious back injury but I would strongly consider looking into how Johnny Knox is doing. Sometimes you've got to take risks if you really want to get better at that position. Knox has 4.25 speed and unlike Clyde Gates, actually transitioned that successfully to the NFL.

Those of you who think Mike Wallace & Greg Jennings are too expensive to sign together (I agree), I just wonder what your personal expectations are about what it would cost to see Brian Hartline re-signed WHILE also bringing in Greg Jennings? Because I see that idea espoused much more frequently. I wouldn't pay Hartline more than $4 million a year and I would have to strike out on some other options before I even gave him that, but I'm pretty sure Hartline is asking for more along the lines of $6 million a year. What's Wallace going to cost, about $10 million a year? So are people saying that going from Davone Bess and Brian Hartline to Davone Bess, Greg Jennings and Brian Hartline is worth (just tossing a number out there) approximately $18 million a year, but going from Davone Bess and Brian Hartline to Davone Bess, Mike Wallace and Greg Jennings is not worth $22 million a year?

I think the reality is that re-signing Brian Hartline AND acquiring a guy like Greg Jennings/Mike Wallace is not really an option on the table. Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't think it's a strong possibility. I think the choice they're making right now is whether they need to go ahead and re-sign Hartline which means their offer to him has to come up significantly, or they're going to pursue one of the free agents as a replacement...probably Jennings, although I could see Ireland preferring Wallace.

23. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Also I'm not a big fan of the idea of getting Dustin Keller. If you want that kind of player I would probably rather look at Delanie Walker.

But I still think the Dolphins would most likely look at Martellus Bennett, if they're going to go that route (free agency) with the TE position.

djphinfan likes this.
  24. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I agree, which is why we haven't ponied up for Hartline IMO. Heck, if Jennings came cheap enough ($7.5M range, which I think is reasonable), how about going after Wallace or Bowe, too, and then cutting Bess if necessary. At Hartline's cost and our need at receiver upgrade, there's no reason to re-sign him if you can instead bring in one of the big 3, which is a greater priority in my eyes. Nothing would suck more than re-signing the Hitman only to find out later we don't have enough space to add Jennings.

25. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Last I heard on Knox is that his career was pretty much over.

26. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    If the Giants don't pursue him (as I believe I read Bennett would like to stay in NY), then he would be my first choice as well. Delanie wouldn't be bad. Quite similar to Charles Clay, but perhaps a bit quicker/faster, no.

27. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Depends what's on the board, but sure, I can see that, but we actually don't have a sixth this year, if he fell to the 7th, sure, I could take him there..

Heres the thing about Lattimore, I don't believe he's going to be able to run at all before the draft, so it's just some blind faith your going on, a 7 th is fine, but I couldn't go 5th. Could you?

28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    You know what, I can't remember if I've been spelling it like that the whole time, been talking about him for a year..lol, I do that all the time, see a name spelled one way in script, then my brain follows it temporarily, but I will say, you have made me a better speller, member when you use to correct me all the time back in the day?

MrClean likes this.
  29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    were usually not this far apart on two players, I see Eifert as a fine overall prospect..will be fun to match them up at the combine..

I just want you to browse thru some photos and just look at the potential of the body to increase in size relative to the vertical ability..I'm not posting still pics to debate my point, just want you to envision him at 260..and it's fun to see how he can elevate over defenders with control and agility.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tyl...=en&client=safari#biv=i|100;d|K_Wxk6N-i0SzXM:

MrClean likes this.
  30. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    More consistent too. I consider Charles Clay's problems at this point to be more about consistency and mental presence. But Delanie Walker is a better athlete (ran a 4.49 once upon a time).

The Giants may re-sign Bennett but they've got what they feel is the best TE Coach in all football and so they've never felt any urgency about re-signing guys and paying money, because they think they're going to get production out of there no matter what. And for the most part, they've been right.

31. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't know if you could call Walker more consistent. I think he might have dropped the highest percentage of passes last year of anyone in the NFL with a reasonable amount of targets.

I think he's a nice option for Miami, though. You can basically slot him in as a blocking tight end in terms of money and skill-set, which you can't really do with Fasano. He's also got experience with the H-back stuff Philbin and co. are going to want.

32. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    good point..... plus NY's not in the greatest cap shape. How 'bout our 1st rounder going toward Cruz or a 2nd for Stevie Brown. :shifty:
    I'd love to add Cruz, but not at a 1st round tender if Wallace & Jennings are available w/o having to use a pick.

33. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I have a hard time believing the organization values Mike Wallace over Brian Hartline by a margin of $4M/yr. Brian Hartline pretty much encompasses exactly what they want from a WR. Its certainly fair to characterize our WRs as a position of need, but that really has nothing to do with Hartline. There are very few teams that will value him as much as Miami.

34. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    No he doesn't. Everyone from Philbin to Ireland has said we need more explosive WRs.

35. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm not sure how that disputes my point? I certainly don't think they value "explosiveness" over intelligence.

36. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Cruz I would deem highly unlikely.

I don't know about Stevie Brown. After the year he had they may tender him a 1st rounder and that would essentially end the conversation before it began.

37. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I'd take Cruz over Wallace, for sure. But the appeal with Cruz is that his price could be lower because teams are going to factor in the 1st round compensation as well. In all honesty, Cruz + 1st or Jennings would be a very tough call for me.

ToddPhin likes this.
  38. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    A little bit abberant. From 2008 to 2011 he had only 8 drops compared with 81 catches. Then suddenly he's got 11 drops to 23 catches. Might have had something to do with trying to get used to a new QB, especially one who isn't well known for taking heat off his fast ball on shorter throws.

39. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I would be happy with Jennings, Wallace and Bess for 22 Mil… and add someone in the 2nd round to possibly push Bess to the 4th option.

40. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    risk reward… IF I think he is going to recover fully (given time) I would pull the trigger in the 5th. I think any time you get a player in the 5th or later you are getting gravy at that point...