1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WR/TE and Veterans

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dolphins1Beatles, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Why are we throwing to Ginn in certain areas? all he should be doing until we get rid of him is running way down around the field stretching the defense more. Not 5 yards out. Our best shot to catch is camarillo, bess and hartline and we should be having them as the go to guys. Fasano and Ginn had huge drops and they were wide open.
    Fasano is okay but I don't think he should be a #1 TE either. We need a true #1 WR and TE-everyone here already has said this though. So...

Does anyone else think it would have been huge to go after Tony Gonzalez and/or Laverneus Coles in the offseason? Two veterans. Much like Pennington did for Henne they could have helped our younger guys like Bess and Hartline. I dont care how old they are. They're both better than Ginn and Fasano even at their ages. Who cares if they'd be gone in 2-3 years, thats still a long time to find young guys. Look who we had to rely on yesterday- Ricky Williams and Jason Taylor. Our two oldest players, the two veterans. The only two players from before 2004. Without them we would have been blown out. (by the way-cant believe we stopped running in the 2nd half. Instead of relying on our best players-R&R, we throw to Ginn?)

And if we had one or both of them we probably would have beat the Saints and maybe the Colts. Not only would they help out Bess/Hartline/Camarillo, they would help Henne at the same time. Henne can't develop if people are going to drop wide open passes. So I dont care that we're rebuilding, you still need a bunch of old vets to help your team out for the future.

We can compete with these elite teams, we would beat them with one of those guys. I saw Coles make a nice TD catch in traffic for the Bengals. I'm sure he would have loved to come here with Penny. We dropped the ball on that. He's not even that old, he's 31.

2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    We couldn't afford to go after Tony G. No way.

I don't know that Coles would've been worth the $, but he would have helped the team, sure.

3. Thunderbolt89

Thunderbolt89 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    I too would have liked to have gone after a veteran receiver in the offseason. In regards to Fasano I agree he is not a number 1 tight end but does anyone think that not having David Martin around to take some of the load off of Fasano this year is hurting him at all? I think last year the reason why Fasano was better was because he had Martin to rotate with.

4. Dolphins1Beatles

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Martin is an issue. I'd take Coles over Gonzalez since Coles is younger and would have been cheaper. And we had a better chance to get Coles with Pennington on the team, and he's about 30x better than Ginn. We fcked that up though. All the money we're giving Gerbil Wilson, Coles would have actually helped us. Wilson is the new Ernest Wilford. A waste of $$$. are we afraid to spend a little extra in FA for an actual playmaker?

5. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Short-term, Gonzo would have helped. But long-term I don't think it would have been a good investment.

Those are the type of moves we complained about in years past. Bringing in older veterans to temporarily patch up holes.

unluckyluciano and Stitches like this.
  6. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    You realize that Wilson leads the team in tackles? You realize that as bad as Crowder has played, Wilson has helped the defense a lot more than hurt it? When you are asking your safety to essentially be another linebacker, you are asking a lot.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  7. Dolphins1Beatles

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    But if I had the choice in FA between Gibril Wilson and Laverneus Coles though? I'd take Coles in a heartbeat. And there was a chance for us to get him. Because anytime Henne puts the ball in the air I have no faith the receivers are going to catch it, and that's a shame. Whatever though, we can't now. Now we need to focus on the Jets, hopefully they can bounce back yet again.

Wilson leads in tackles but he doesnt make any big plays, and for the money he's getting that sucks. Shockey carried him down the field about 20-25 yards before he finally took him out at the legs which he should have done first. He is never consistent.

8. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Why do you want Coles then? He was known in NY to drop big passes... Next year there are a few big time WR available (Marshall and Jackson) and I think Owen Daniels is available at TE.

9. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I think Marshall gets paid before the end of the year.

10. Dolphins1Beatles

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Because he is a lot better than Ted Ginn. Marques Colston had a couple of dropped passes yesterday too. However, Colston makes up for it and same thing with Coles. Ginn doesn't. And Ginn and his family give me nightmares of Camarillo. Odds are one or both of Ginn & Wilson are gone in 2010.

I thought Marshall wouldnt be available? that's what people were saying. We probably wouldn't drop the cash on him anyway.

11. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    I feel your frustration OP and I understand, but I would argue that we are 23 games removed from a 1-15 season. There has been a lot of changes on this team. We just had a chance to win late in the game against probably the best team in the NFL. Relative to where we started that is a huge success.

To put it in perspective a bit in terms of the turnover we have had on this roster. The Oline has only 1 player that is still with us from 23 games ago. We have two second year players starting for us on the Oline. We have gotten drastically younger and better at the same time. We aren't going to beat the elite teams yet, but we are competing with them. That should give you some amount happiness after a bitter loss.

12. Dolphins1Beatles

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    If we beat the Jets I'll be happy. We can't let the season go downhill after a demoralizing loss. The Jets game will show the character of the team. I know the Saints and Colts are the best teams in the NFL, but we have to bounce back, or it was all for nothing. I mean-Matt Ryan, Peyton Manning, Philip Rivers and Drew Brees. Does it get any tougher?

We bounced back 3 times last season, and once this season. Hopefully we do it again or those tough performances were for nothing.

13. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    Ricky Williams and Jason Taylor. Our two oldest players, the two veterans. The only two players from before 2004. :clap:

Our veterans!
    I am so proud of these guys. They never quit, or give up. That's what I call real ball players.

I had doubts about Ricky when he started playing again, but so far, he has proved me wrong on most all accounts.

I am also thrilled to see JT get props after all the crap that went on before.

I am NOT saying these are the only two that try hard. I'm just saying they got a lot of crap before and have come back to shove it down some throats.